• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

National Ice Cream Day – July 19, 2020

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
National Ice Cream Day – July 19, 2020

https://nationaltoday.com/national-ice-cream-day/

Thanks to President Reagan, we celebrate National Ice Cream Day every third Sunday in July, meaning July 19 this year. Reagan wanted to commemorate a treat enjoyed by over 90 percent of the US population. In 1984, he decreed a day for ice cream and his proclamation actually glorified the dairy industry in America. In fact, Americans still lead the world when it comes to eating this frozen delight: 23 gallons a year to be precise. Reagan also proclaimed July as National Ice Cream month, describing ice cream as ‘‘a nutritious and wholesome food enjoyed by over ninety percent of the people in the United States.’’ Since then, the holiday has sparked world-wide cravings and is traditionally celebrated year after year. Standing in the frozen food aisle trying desperately to make a choice? Or brainstorming how to celebrate this fabulous day? Well, look no further. Inspiration has arrived.

HISTORY OF NATIONAL ICE CREAM DAY

There’s no known inventor that can be credited with creating ice cream unfortunately. But the history of ice cream is as rich as gelato. It’s been said that an ice cream like food was first consumed in China sometime between 618-97 AD. The first dish was made from flour, buffalo milk and camphor, an organic compound commonly used in lotion. It’s also been noted that Alexander the Great adored ice and snow flavoured with nectar and honey.

We’ve also identified that the Bible indicates that King Solomon enjoyed iced drinks during the harvest season. Speaking of homemade, during the Roman Empire, Caesar would send people to gather snow from the mountains, just to cover it in fruit and juices.

Close to a thousand years later in Italy, Marco Polo had returned from the Far East and bought back a recipe for what we now know as sherbet. It is assumed that this recipe developed into what we now know as ice cream which was once called ‘‘Cream Ice.’ It was in 1660 that the general public was presented with ice cream. An Italian man named Francesco Procopio Dei Coltelli decided to perfect a machine made by his fisherman grandfather which produced top-quality gelato in his café. The recipe blended milk, butter, eggs and cream and was sold in Paris.

The first mention of ice cream in the United States derives from a letter written in Maryland in 1744 by Governor William Bladen’s guest. Then, the New York Gazette on May 12, 1777 printed the first advert for ice cream in the United States. Following the American Revolution, ice cream became super popular in the US.

Since then ice cream has exploded onto the desert scene with the creation of home machines, as well as the emergence of ice cream vans, ice cream floats, sundaes and well-known brands like ‘‘Ben and Jerry’s’’ and ‘‘Haagen-Dazs’’ that we still consume to this day. The effect of ice cream on society is so great, that the brain of an ice cream lover has been likened to that of an addict. When the brain wants ice cream, it reacts like a passionate fanatic.

Attachments

• DA1297D0-D25D-4CC5-9248-509EC06D4CDE.jpg
    DA1297D0-D25D-4CC5-9248-509EC06D4CDE.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 141

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

Attachments

• 2321D43E-28EB-4728-986F-C76ACE3DD816.png
    2321D43E-28EB-4728-986F-C76ACE3DD816.png
    172.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 9FF91A54-33DF-4321-A40F-ED8E4654769D.png
    9FF91A54-33DF-4321-A40F-ED8E4654769D.png
    187.5 KB · Views: 153
  • F9B79614-8121-4536-AA2C-CE0E536DE3FC.png
    F9B79614-8121-4536-AA2C-CE0E536DE3FC.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 149

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a saying I coined several yrs back. "some ice creams are better than the rest, but there's no such thing as bad ice cream".

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
More . . .

Attachments

• 4505ED18-A1A2-4234-8AAF-747173EE3246.gif
    4505ED18-A1A2-4234-8AAF-747173EE3246.gif
    499.9 KB · Views: 176

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Oh please stop it. I haven't eaten real ice cream in years because of diabetes. I've tried the no sugar, no added sugar , low to no fat varieties and decided that it just wasn't worth it and I'd rather do without. I do miss that bowl after dinner while watching TV and you guys aren't helping much. :smile::smile::moon::smile::smile:

How did that emoji slip in there.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh please stop it. I haven't eaten real ice cream in years because of diabetes. I've tried the no sugar, no added sugar , low to no fat varieties and decided that it just wasn't worth it and I'd rather do without. I do miss that bowl after dinner while watching TV and you guys aren't helping much. :smile::smile::moon::smile::smile:

How did that emoji slip in there.

I’m in the same boat :hammer:

I can dream though!