• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

checking diff oil level rams extended or collapsed?

Snowcat Pat

Oddly, I've never been asked this question, nor have I thought about it much.

Does one check diff oil level with the blade and implement hydraulic cyls extended or collapsed?

This is with the combined hydraulic and diff oil systems that most 1500 and many Sprytes have.

It would explain why the diff oil level sometimes turns out to be low after an oil change and test run.

Haven't found an answer among the many manuals in the library.

Overfull would be bad as the diff oil level is already set at a much higher level than one would expect and oil might leak out the steering rods or the lid vent. Underfull would starve the pinion bearings.

Any ideas?

-Pat

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Oddly, I've never been asked this question, nor have I thought about it much.

Does one check diff oil level with the blade and implement hydraulic cyls extended or collapsed?

This is with the combined hydraulic and diff oil systems that most 1500 and many Sprytes have.

It would explain why the diff oil level sometimes turns out to be low after an oil change and test run.

Haven't found an answer among the many manuals in the library.

Overfull would be bad as the diff oil level is already set at a much higher level than one would expect and oil might leak out the steering rods or the lid vent. Underfull would starve the pinion bearings.

Any ideas?

-Pat

Depending on how many cylinders, the only difference is the displacement of the
Cylinder rod could it really be more than a gallon? I quess if you have a lot of cylinders with real long strokes

jo5

Most if not all hydraulic levels are checked with blades ect resting on the ground
I do run my track up on a block so I can pou a little extra in without it running out the fill hole

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In the Ag world, we would set the cylinders in the middle of their throw and top it off.....

Over fill and a leak is always better than trashing pinion gears, every time....

Keep this in mind. Just my $0.02 worth.

Regards, Kirk

Bamby

I always thought it didn't really matter. The entire cylinder is full of oil anyway the valve determines witch end receives or drains oil to allow it to function. When put in storage I like to set the cylinder where most it not all the chrome is retracted and protected in the cylinder to protect it from rusting.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
on double acting cylinders like most cats have it wont matter enough to make a difference on single acting on single acting cylinders like a pickup truck snow plow has you would want the cylinder bottomed out to check level

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
:smile:On a simular subject my meyer snow plow book recommends summer storage of plow pump with ram in fully extended position so that oil is in the cylinder to prevent it from condensation and rusting. They also say to cover ram with grease to prevent rust on it. Sorry this has nothing to do with oil levels! :smile: