• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Food prices jump in 1st quarter

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Grocery price gauge up 6.9 percent in 1st quarter

Farmers averaged about $8.44 take-home from revenue on a theoretical $52 basket of food.
By TIFFANY HSU
Los Angeles Times
Updated: 04/12/2012 09:44:44 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES -- A basket of meats, cheese and other grocery store products cost 6.9 percent more in the first quarter of 2012 than it did a year earlier, according to the American Farm Bureau Federation. A group of 16 items, including cheddar cheese, sirloin-tip roast, salad, orange juice and eggs, cost consumers $52.47 during the first three months of the year, the farm group said. During the same period last year, the price was $49.07. In the fourth quarter of 2011, it cost $49.23.
The cost of meats such as sliced deli ham and bacon were up due to strong demand and tight supplies, said American Farm Bureau Federation senior economist John Anderson in a statement. But prices might have peaked, allowing for less expensive protein as the year continues, he said.
Flour, russet potatoes, apples and toasted oat cereal have all become pricier for consumers, according to the report. Only three items in the basket have gotten cheaper: whole milk, white bread and boneless chicken breasts.
Farmers ended up with an average of 16 percent, or $8.44, of the revenue from each theoretical basket. In the mid-1970s, they would receive about a third.
Americans spend less than 10 percent of their disposable annual income on food -- less than any other country, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Americans spend less than 10 percent of their disposable annual income on food -- less than any other country, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture

This part makes me proud as heck!

Regards, Kirk

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Food and fuel prices are up, but according to Obama and his henchmen, there is no inflation. You can't factor fuel and food into inflation, because they are too volatile according to Barry. Go figure...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ditto the lies about inflation. It's our currancy value falling that folks don't get. It is the invisible driver for what we are experiancing.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
But Obummer and his magical crew of slight-of -hand currency manipulators are all doing this devaluation as part of their plan.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Any time you are borrowing 40% of what you spend, your currency is going to be worth less. That applies to business, your home, and to the government. Why this is so difficult to understand is what I don't understand.

Point 2, All government figures are bogus and intended to make the perception look good. Unemployment figures do not include the most hard core unemployed, and are generally revised upward a few weeks after the initial posting. Inflation does not include those items most needed by the citizen. Estimated costs of what the government wants to spend are always low. Even war casualties are often misrepresented to reflect whatever position the government wants you to believe.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
"Americans spend less than 10 percent of their disposable annual income on food -- less than any other country, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture."

We need to be more like Europe!:doh:

I'm confident in the secure knowledge Barry is working night and day on it :whistling:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm not so sure about that 10% figure. You mean to tell me a typical family of 4 with two of them teenagers with an annual income of 100K does not spend 10K a year on food? They must eat a lot of Ramen. More bullshit number from our gov't if you ask me.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not so sure about that 10% figure. You mean to tell me a typical family of 4 with two of them teenagers with an annual income of 100K does not spend 10K a year on food? They must eat a lot of Ramen. More bullshit number from our gov't if you ask me.

You have to consider the taxes paid in the overall household expenses. Then maybe it comes out that way.

BTW, I was just quoting the OP's post and did not stipulate. My bad.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Naturally anything that depends on fuel is going to rise in price. It sure isn't the farmer getting that money.