• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Street Racing

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Dumb Asses..........

By Randy Ludlow
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
This Corvette was one of nine vehicles impounded after state troopers arrested drivers for racing on I-71 in Delaware County.
WBNS-10TV
This Corvette was one of nine vehicles impounded after state troopers arrested drivers for racing on I-71 in Delaware County.
After midnight, the pack of drivers would stop their cars on I-71 near Polaris, line up three abreast and then race north at more than 100 mph.

With at least two prior illicit races going off without a hitch — or tickets— the drivers returned early today.

This time, the State Highway Patrol was lying in wait north of the Franklin-Delaware county line.

With a plane overhead and the area flooded with cruisers, officers arrested nine drivers. They also impounded their cars, ranging from late-model Corvettes to a tricked-out 1985 Honda Civic.

The drivers of about a dozen other cars eluded capture, but troopers are working to identify them, said Sgt. D.J. Smith of the Delaware post of the State Highway Patrol.

Most of the racers got off I-71 at the Rt. 36/Rt. 37 exit. The largest group headed east to Sunbury and then south on Rt. 3, where troopers blocked the road near Galena.

Troopers arrested eight drivers and Westerville police nabbed a ninth farther south on Rt. 3.

The drivers were charged with street racing, a first-degree misdemeanor, and booked at the Delaware County Jail.

If convicted, the drivers face up to six months in jail, a $1,000 fine and the loss of their licenses for 30 days to three years.

Troopers previously responded twice to reports of the five-mile stretch of I-71 serving as a drag strip, but never located the racers, Smith said.

Thanks to a tip that the drivers gathered at the Sonic restaurant on Polaris Parkway, a State Highway Patrol pilot monitored the area from above early today.

At 12:43 a.m., the cars left and stopped to line up on I-71 for more than one minute, while three lanes of traffic cleared out in front of them and stacked up behind, Smith said. The race to catch the racers then was on.

“The act of stopping traffic on I-71 is incredibly dangerous,” Smith said. “People aren't prepared to come to a complete stop on the interstate … and the median is small. If someone blew a tire or lost control …”

Troopers arrested brothers Anthony Grey, 23, and Eric Grey, 24, of Gahanna; Jason Wyne, 21, of Carroll; Kyle Sargent, 24, of Reynoldsburg; Christopher Kolb, 38, of Hilliard; Steven Lenegar, 20, of Westerville; Andrew Meade, 25, of Reynoldsburg; and Sean Smith, 20, of Columbus.

The name of the driver arrested by Westerville police was not available.

The group speed contests apparently were arranged via an Internet message board devoted to amateur racing, Smith said. The Web site says it “does not condone illegal street racing.”

The racing was unrelated to the Goodguys car show at the state fairgrounds, troopers said.

rludlow@dispatch.com

urednecku

Site Supporter
"Young & dumb." I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often, even as stupid as it is.

urednecku

Site Supporter
Ironic, a couple of nights ago, I saw bits of "Too Fast, Too Furious" I think was the show, on TV. This stunt reminded me of that show.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
This might be crazier!

[ame="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=38145409"]MySpaceTV Videos: Motorcycle Texting by Werewolf Movie Maker[/ame]

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
About 40 years ago the LEOs in one area of west Denver would all take their coffee breaks at 10:00 pm, sharp. That was until the kids figured it out and started blocking their favorite road for drag races at that time.

Sure glad I didn't get caught racing when I was young and foolish.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I started with my GTO, on through LS6 Chevelles, 442s, other GTOs, Camaros, etc. Track on the weekends, street at night. My last street racer was a 79 stang body, full moly chasis, with a very large BBC, manual turbo 400, dana 4 link etc.

Than I got married.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Ya, but she likes boatin'.
And besides, some of the cars I have now are way faster and safer than some of my old muscle cars.