• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Just found a 2016 Honda NC700x motorcycle

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
YUP, not happy about that.

I'm also thinking that I may pull the entire rack back off the motorcycle and spray matte black paint over the top of the gloss powder coat to help it match the finish on the bike frame.

I am always telling my wife when we do projects that it is the little things we need to take care of, the big things always seem to take care of themselves. To design a rack for a motorcycle that does not match the bikes overall color scheme is bush league and also would have pissed me off too. Yes, pulling it and painting it is a must. What the hell, it has to be right, besides, every time you walk around the back of the bike you will curse the kraut that decided it needed a gloss finish. :yum:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ROOKIE MISTAKE :hammer:

Went to put fuel in my bike, found out that I had installed the H&B top case too far forward on the adjustable mount. The mount for the box was preventing complete access to the fuel door.

Took off the top box, adjusted everything so the box now sits about 0.75" farther toward the back of the motorcycle, everything works as intended.

The instructions that came with the mounting brackets are little more than pictographs with very limited descriptions and the rear mounting plate is a universal fit deal that attaches to bike specific frames. So when I originally mounted the plate I simply picked a spot that looked good, didn't do a function check because I didn't even think to do that. Like I said, rookie mistake.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Side cases arrived today. They come with a latch plate that has to be installed on the frame. It has a modest amount of adjustment and requires 2 stainless bolts, washers and locking nuts ... which are NOT provided.

Fortunately I had all of the above stainless bits & pieces. But damn, really? Spending a lot of money on cases and they don't include the required bolts? That is just shabby.

On the bright side these things are certainly tough cases, probably a heck of a lot stronger than my bones so no doubt they will survive a crash or a bang off a tree far better then I will.

Based on the CASES alone these things are much more heavy duty than the GIVI V35 cases that we have on the lovely Mrs_Bob's NC700x. Where her V35 Givi brand cases have Italian flair and a sweeping design, these German H&B cases are industrial strength boxes that makes it look like I use the bike for Pizza deliveries!

Based on RACKS, the GIVI racks seem to have a far nicer finish than the H&B racks, but the H&B rack does have a nice "quick detach" mounting system that I like. And then there is the afore mentioned issue with the finish of the GIVI racks that actually matches the motorcycle while the finish of these H&B racks does not!

Just like some of the GIVI cases there are OPTIONAL tie down points for the tops of the cases. I didn't buy those, but may add them later? The double wall construction seems pretty close to bombproof. Locks are secure and are somewhat recessed into the plastic to make it harder to pry them open. No doubt any lock on most any brand can be opened. But these are pretty good, better than the Tusk style, which I saw first hand and couldn't believe how easy it would be to break those latches.

Inside the side cases is a latch to hold the lid open. There is also a cable to prevent the lid from flopping back onto the bike's paint. Both nice touches. 37 Liter capacity on each side. 42 liter capacity for the top case. I think that should be enough for a good long trip, with the possible exception of a tent ... if we take a tent.

Attachments

• ixKaci6+QEmUS9OpjHUg6g.jpg
    ixKaci6+QEmUS9OpjHUg6g.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 233
  • JCaO3QAZRmecmWUt7npB5A.jpg
    JCaO3QAZRmecmWUt7npB5A.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 235
  • k9i3+5P2QhqKfN2sFWMDcA.jpg
    k9i3+5P2QhqKfN2sFWMDcA.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 233
  • 6W6%341UTtWF9yRpjMqgWg.jpg
    6W6%341UTtWF9yRpjMqgWg.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 245

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Nice and very utilitarian looking. Function over form, no question about that, but that is fine for a long trip. As for the pizza delivery comment, you said it, I didn't. For once. :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice and very utilitarian looking. Function over form, no question about that, but that is fine for a long trip. As for the pizza delivery comment, you said it, I didn't. For once. :yum:

Figured I'd just go ahead an admit it first :yum:

Besides, it could become my second career.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Just a follow up. Finished these today.

OK so the boxes were partially disassembled, taped and painted (primer adhesive, color primer, color, clear coat).

I think its the right color but it is a little lighter than the factory paint. I used 1 can of color for all 3 boxes. I believe that 2 cans would have given me a somewhat better, richer color more like the factory color. That said, I'm happy with the result. It is likely that I will repeat the process in the fall of this year, but for now its pretty darn close and pretty darn good. I think better looking too.

Looks less like a pizza deliver bike now! :hammer:

FWIW, the Hepco Becker Gobi boxes come in different color schemes. All silver or a two tone Black w/Silver accents. I decided to mimic the 2 tone version of the H-B color scheme but do it in Honda's metallic red w/Silver accents.

rTAinegQZqCNwcnzOuBw_zpsmvklbdms.jpg

DbgBGRykSsOXbVJa9XQ4sA_zpsphjejjuc.jpg

8k0MFVVRnOEK7MOs4R91Q_zpsu3b3bwo6.jpg

N8eix937Qc2rzK4JWgAmA_zpsmsichf2j.jpg

JBQfKynbSeXfL83W9UJgw_zpsbay0vwaw.jpg

0H39bjDtSwDp1HjcxKdXg_zpsxrwiso5j.jpg

Bamby

Mods this thread needs some "Help" Please.. It's all over the place + / - it doesn't want to view...

PS though what I can make out of it looks fine...:wink:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mods this thread needs some "Help" Please.. It's all over the place + / - it doesn't want to view...

PS though what I can make out of it looks fine...:wink:

Oddly enough the photos show up normal size on other forums that use this same brand of software but show up GIANT size on this forum. I dunno why!

Bamby

Oddly enough the photos show up normal size on other forums that use this same brand of software but show up GIANT size on this forum. I dunno why!

I figured out how I can view them with my browser anyway, it may not work for others.
Right click on photo and click on open in new window option and they then open in a view-able size.