• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Probably going to lose my road

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Not MY road, but the road I live on. Just drove along, and due to lots of show melting, lots of rain last night and today, and the ground still frozen solid, the fields are all flooded. I saw water flowing from one side of the road to the other under the road, in a spot that I know there is no culvert.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Maybe a good spot to mark so that a culvert gets installed there next year.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So how is it living on an island?

Is the road asphalt, gravel or chip & seal? If it is gravel or chip & seal then kiss it good buy pretty quickly. If it is asphalt then it might hold up longer than you expect but then have a catastrophic failure when someone drives over that spot. The road I live on was gravel, then chip & seal for a few years, and now is asphalt. We saw a lot of water problems and road failures until we dug the whole road out, corrected the ditches, and rebuilt the roadway with a good base and an asphalt top.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
So how is it living on an island?

Is the road asphalt, gravel or chip & seal? If it is gravel or chip & seal then kiss it good buy pretty quickly. If it is asphalt then it might hold up longer than you expect but then have a catastrophic failure when someone drives over that spot. The road I live on was gravel, then chip & seal for a few years, and now is asphalt. We saw a lot of water problems and road failures until we dug the whole road out, corrected the ditches, and rebuilt the roadway with a good base and an asphalt top.

Gravel. :cry: There is another line of storms coming. After they move through, I am going to go check again, and probably call the county.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
REDDOGTWO said:
Maybe a good spot to mark so that a culvert gets installed there next year.

There actually is a 24" culvert only about 75' away, but it overloaded by thr volume of water.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup it looks like the front is getting ready to hit you. It is due here in a few hours. The front that came through this morning knocked out my satellite service intermittantly for a few hours, this next front looks pretty intense too. Will the county come out before the road washes out? Or will they just wait and fix it after the fact?

Attachments

• us_ord_closeradar_medium_usen.jpg
    us_ord_closeradar_medium_usen.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 66

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Yup it looks like the front is getting ready to hit you. It is due here in a few hours. The front that came through this morning knocked out my satellite service intermittantly for a few hours, this next front looks pretty intense too. Will the county come out before the road washes out? Or will they just wait and fix it after the fact?
If they come out, it will be to just put up a blinky barricade.

I doubt if they will come out at all, there are only three houses on the section of road affected, and we can still come in from the other direction.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like the most intense part of the southern wave of this next storm is going to go right over Kankakee and knock out my satellite again later. Do you have the second wave of rain yet? And how much snow is left to melt? Melting snow probably already has your ground saturated but I'm not sure if you had as much as we did? We still have about 40% snowcover here but the high temps and rain are going to get rid of all of it over the next day or two.

As for those blinky barricades, they are fun when the storm blows them over into the road and people try to drive around them instead of picking them up. Double fun when people get stuck driving around them. . . not that the lady across the road from me has ever done anything like that on our road . . . twice :oops:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, I couldn't make it back to the section of road I think is in danger because there is more water on top of the road, and I didn't want to risk it.

This picture is my driveway, with my farm in the background. The water here is about 4" deep and moving from right to left pretty fast.

More pictures here.

Attachments

• IMG_2747.JPG
    IMG_2747.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 65

dzalphakilo

Banned
Just remember if you THINK you can make it, DON'T drive across it!!

I came very close by learning the hardway (I thought I would make it, then thought I was up the creek, then made it, how I don't know).

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I just got an estimate of $109,000 to concrete my driveway. Want me to send the contractor your way? :thumb:

Oh, I got a 8' John boat I'm not using either...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave,

I assume the storm has passed (since it came through our area last night).

What's your road look like today?

I too had a couple issues due to the storm.
Some bracket on the power pole next to the transformer fell off. Lost power and all kinds of shorts/arcing at the pole. They did get it fixed about 1AM.

The drain for one of my buildings was frozen & covered with snow where it exits into the creek. The water backed up and flooded my shop. :cry:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Dave,

I too had a couple issues due to the storm.
Some bracket on the power pole next to the transformer fell off. Lost power and all kinds of shorts/arcing at the pole. They did get it fixed about 1AM.

The drain for one of my buildings was frozen & covered with snow where it exits into the creek. The water backed up and flooded my shop. :cry:

I haven't been out of the house yet today. All last night and forcast for today is supposed to be 35-50mph winds. I did go out later yesterday afternoon, and it sort of looked like there might actually be a culvert in the spot I thought was suspect, but was severely overloaded.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
bczoom said:

OMG........Did it get up to my pristine shelving ?????????

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Dave,

It probably looks like a frozen lake??? Dave are you getting, or did you get the snow?

We have heavy snow right now :letitsnow: What was thawing has turned to ice, and now has a snow covering over its surface. The snow is due to stop before we get too much accumulation, maybe 2 inches? But the ice under it should make driving fun:17875:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hope all is well for you Dave. I wonder if debris as obstructed the culvert causing the bigger issue.

TOMLESCOEQUIP said:
OMG........Did it get up to my pristine shelving ?????????
Nope. :thumb:

Actually, I make it a point to keep most everything not on tires elevated on at least a 2x4. I only got an inch in the shop so there's no real damage. Your shelves are in another building which wasn't affected. I'll probably tarp them so I don't get a speck of road dirt on them for the trip. :tiphat:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
It probably looks like a frozen lake??? Dave are you getting, or did you get the snow?

I just took a drive, and it is pretty much a white-out condition. I could see perhaps 100' down the road. Like Bob said, everything that melted yesterday is now frozen again, but the wind caused it to freeze in chunks, so it is like driving with 4" rock scattered on the road.

And no, the road did not wash out. :thumb: