• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dinner for two

JediMaster

Ok, my girlfriend has cooked me up some really nice meals as of lately. I've done nothing more than take her to a steakhouse or order a pizza. I'm no chef by any means, but I know the basics of cooking. I need some help with planning a meal and making it romantic, yet keeping it basic and not too dull. I know at least one male on here has cooked for their spouse so help a brother out.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
JediMaster said:
I've done nothing more than ... order a pizza.

Well, anytime my wife wants to be romantic with me, that's exactly what she does :a1: I have never turned down a pizza.

elsmitro

floppy member
Some kind of roast in a crock-pot; as long as you get the setup right it will take care of itself. Several hours later you dump it all on a big fancy plate and act proud of yourself! :thumb:

JediMaster

elsmitro said:
Some kind of roast in a crock-pot; as long as you get the setup right it will take care of itself. Several hours later you dump it all on a big fancy plate and act proud of yourself! :thumb:
That's nice to know. She loves to fix this for me and I always thought it was a difficult task to prepare a roast. :pat:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
JediMaster said:
That's nice to know. She loves to fix this for me and I always thought it was a difficult task to prepare a roast. :pat:
A big chunk of beef, a jar of your favorite salsa, a can of whole tomatos, a couple of spoonfuls of Instant Tapioca, and a package of brown gravy mix. Stir all the wet stuff together with the brown gravy mix in the crock pot, plunk the meat down in there, put the lid on and set it to low (plug it in! :pat:). 8 to 10 hours later, boil up some noodles or rice and some sweet corn and you are good to go.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For a little quicker way to do the same thing, you can use your oven and get an oven roasting bag. You put the meat and all the fixins mentioned above in the bag. It cooks the roast much faster but the best part is that the roast does not dry out.
My wife even does our turkey with the roasting bag. Keeps it nice and moist and cooks it in half the time it normally takes. :thumb:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
For a little quicker way to do the same thing, you can use your oven and get an oven roasting bag. You put the meat and all the fixins mentioned above in the bag. It cooks the roast much faster but the best part is that the roast does not dry out.
And if your not sure what to put in, I believe you can buy everything all set to go in the bag. You just put it in the oven.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You guys are all wrong.

Basically you guys are advising him to make a crock pot/oven bag meal that is going to be a little better than a HAMBURGER HELPER meal.

He asked for a ROMANTIC dinner suggestion!?!

Start with the UNUSUAL, not the normal. For example, get a couple pounds of frozen King Crab legs or some fresh or frozen lobster tails. Yes they cost a bit more, but they also make a statement to the better half that you are trying to make this a special meal. Second, they are EASY TO COOK. If you can boil water then you can cook crab legs! Lobster can be broiled, tossed on a BBQ grill, or boiled. Any man can handle that! Melt a little butter and you have the main course.

For some sides, consider something like grilled asparagas spears. Again, unusual, but so simple to cook. Take a bunch of fresh spears, trim off the root end, and toss them on a hot BBQ grill. Cook them lightly, turn them and remove them from the heat. That is it. You only need to cook them just enough to get some "grill marks" on them before turning them. Want to make them FANCY? Take some olive oil and drizzle it over the raw spears and gently rub in on them to lightly coat them, then sprinkle on some coarse salt. Or if you like them hot, add some red pepper oil or some coarse ground pepper.

Another good side would be noodles with butter, garlic and salt. You can fancy them up by using tri-colored noodles. Or by using an unusual noodle like gnocchi. Boil water, cook until done, rinse. In the cooking pot add butter, crushed garlic and liberal amounts of Morton's Natures Seasoning (which is basically salt, parsely, sugar and spices). As soon as the butter is melted put the noodles back in the pot and stir. Remove from heat and serve.

Dessert . . . think fancy brownies. Chocolate Hot Lava Cake. You can buy this stuff in a mix, often frozen/refrigerated. You make it just like you'd make pre-mixed brownie mix. But the magic is the middle of it stays all gooey and warm. You cook it in a muffin pan or a mini-bunt pan. Flip it over and serve with a little vanilla ice cream on the side.

For coffee with dessert, add about 3/4 of an ounce of Kahluah to the cup of coffee, top with whip cream, and then sprinkle with some chocolate jimmies or some coarse colored sugar (red & green during the Chrismas season)

After reading what you guys wrote I'm surprised any of you have kids. Did you just get your wives drunk and have your way with them while they slept? :yum:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
After reading what you guys wrote I'm surprised any of you have kids. Did you just get your wives drunk and have your way with them while they slept? :yum:
What does romance have to do with having kids? :confused2: :confused2:

I thought romance was for those occasions when you want to ruffle the sheets inbetween having kids.:blahblah: :hide:

EDIT: Jedi, Bob's probably right though.... The rest of us probably do have it wrong.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
You guys are all wrong.

Basically you guys are advising him to make a crock pot/oven bag meal that is going to be a little better than a HAMBURGER HELPER meal.

He asked for a ROMANTIC dinner suggestion!?!

Start with the UNUSUAL, not the normal. For example, get a couple pounds of frozen King Crab legs or some fresh or frozen lobster tails. Yes they cost a bit more, but they also make a statement to the better half that you are trying to make this a special meal. Second, they are EASY TO COOK. If you can boil water then you can cook crab legs! Lobster can be broiled, tossed on a BBQ grill, or boiled. Any man can handle that! Melt a little butter and you have the main course.

For some sides, consider something like grilled asparagas spears. Again, unusual, but so simple to cook. Take a bunch of fresh spears, trim off the root end, and toss them on a hot BBQ grill. Cook them lightly, turn them and remove them from the heat. That is it. You only need to cook them just enough to get some "grill marks" on them before turning them. Want to make them FANCY? Take some olive oil and drizzle it over the raw spears and gently rub in on them to lightly coat them, then sprinkle on some coarse salt. Or if you like them hot, add some red pepper oil or some coarse ground pepper.

Another good side would be noodles with butter, garlic and salt. You can fancy them up by using tri-colored noodles. Or by using an unusual noodle like gnocchi. Boil water, cook until done, rinse. In the cooking pot add butter, crushed garlic and liberal amounts of Morton's Natures Seasoning (which is basically salt, parsely, sugar and spices). As soon as the butter is melted put the noodles back in the pot and stir. Remove from heat and serve.

Dessert . . . think fancy brownies. Chocolate Hot Lava Cake. You can buy this stuff in a mix, often frozen/refrigerated. You make it just like you'd make pre-mixed brownie mix. But the magic is the middle of it stays all gooey and warm. You cook it in a muffin pan or a mini-bunt pan. Flip it over and serve with a little vanilla ice cream on the side.

For coffee with dessert, add about 3/4 of an ounce of Kahluah to the cup of coffee, top with whip cream, and then sprinkle with some chocolate jimmies or some coarse colored sugar (red & green during the Chrismas season)

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Why don't you just make ole Bob to come over and cook the damn meal for you .He sounds like a real love machine :pat: .He can wear his same old shirt he also wears and you can pretend it is a Hawaiian Luau . Spend your time conversing with the little lady . Bob can do the dishes while you retire to the Hawaiian love cave to work some magic and show her your coconuts collection. Or you could:

Call her on the phone and make a date with her just like you did when you first started going out .

Go to the deli and get a assortment of meats ,cheeses ,crackers, and vegies along with a good bottle of Vino . Pick up "her" favorite movie in the whole wide world .Lay it all out and set back snuggled up watching the movie . Thats her favorite movie , not yours . Westerns and War movies don't count .

Pick her up and take her to your place ,Do the above and 10 minutes before the movie is over run her a bubble bath so it will be ready when the movie ends . Give her a massage ,while she relaxes and put the towel in the dryer so it can be warm as you dry her off .

Chances are good you will be having more fun than you know .

Oh and if you take Heart Medience you may want to take your pill before you do this .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
elsmitro said:
He did say he has very little experience cooking
That is why I picked a couple dishes that can be cooked on a BBQ grill, it doesn't take much to flip something over on the grill.
elsmitro said:
And, we are guys. :rolleyes:
That is why I picked a couple dishes that can be cooked on a BBQ grill, real men can use a BBQ.
BigUglyAl said:
Bob can do the dishes
That is why I picked a couple dishes that can be cooked on a BBQ grill, easy clean up!

:tiphat:

elsmitro

floppy member
Well, that’s it; he’s probably going to go homo now. Man I’m glad I’m no longer doing the dating thing. Did get a whole lot more coochy then and I don’t think I had to put up with half the crap I do now... I might have cooked once or twice on an anniversary but that was it. ORDER PIZZA! :yankchain:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
elsmitro said:
. Man I’m glad I’m no longer doing the dating thing. Did get a whole lot more coochy then and I don’t think I had to put up with half the crap I do now...:yankchain:

Having sex with yourself does not count !!:yum: :yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I added the cooking bag to offer an option to the crock pot post. ALL of that mentioned is WAY better than hamburger helper any way you cut it.

I would offer up another suggestion more romantic in nature (I think):

Two fillets on the grill. Baked potatos and a salad. Sounds good to me, and I think it would qualify as romantic.

JediMaster

I like the crab legs idea. That sounds like a winner. No, I'm not gonna go homo. My girlfriend will make sure of that. She's for sure a keeper. I do think I'm gonna use the crab legs dinner. It sounds romantic enough. Now if I can just work my magic... :a1:

You guys are crazy. How long have all of you been talking to each other with this forum? Sounds like you all know each other pretty well.

working woman

Site Supporter
Boy am I getting a kick out of this by some of the responses!!
Bob is only one on the right track, First make sure your girlfriend is not allergic to seafood. (In my case I would be barfing all over you ) if you deceide to go that route.
Other suggestions are yes, a grilled steak, complete with the salad, garlic bread and baked potato, cornish hens(you bake for an hour) and believe it or not spagetti and meatballs
The big key is the presention of the food, and the setting of the place. You want to make sure the table is completly set before she walks in. That means table cloth on the table, flowers or a single rose, or even flower pedals scatterd on the table and of course candles.
AS for the presentation of the food, make sure you do the extras such as garishing the food or plate with the greenry.
AS for the deseret, the brownies are not romantic (sorry Bob) He is not far off though.They have come out with some good boxed "signature" cake mixes that are easy. Pick something unusal though like black forest. But I would really recomend something like choclate mousse. which you can find down the pudding isle .
Hope this helps!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
working woman said:
AS for the deseret, the brownies are not romantic (sorry Bob) He is not far off though.They have come out with some good boxed "signature" cake mixes that are easy. Pick something unusal
WW, let me clarify, I suggested he "think" fancy brownies as a way to get him to understand what a Chocolate Volcano Cake is.

Here is a link to a boxed kit to make it easy . . . http://www1.gooseberrypatch.com/goo...0?editdocument&lid=is_G580|cartprocess=vimgsr

Here is a photo of what I was speaking of . . . :thumb:

Attachments

• picvolcanocake.jpg
    picvolcanocake.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 138

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
JediMaster said:
I like the crab legs idea. That sounds like a winner. No, I'm not gonna go homo. My girlfriend will make sure of that. She's for sure a keeper. I do think I'm gonna use the crab legs dinner. It sounds romantic enough. Now if I can just work my magic... :a1:

You guys are crazy. How long have all of you been talking to each other with this forum? Sounds like you all know each other pretty well.

Hmmmm. I don't know if I would put crab legs and romantic together. Actually, that's true of anything in a shell. It makes one heck of a mess which may detract from the ambiance (although it is funny when you crack a leg and the juice splatters your guest). :whistle: I would consider seafood only if the shell is removed or has been split to remove the excess juice.

Jedi - This forum has been up for almost 14 months but several of us knew each other prior to that date from other forums.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Ahhhh, Bob. I hate to say this but I think someone took a bite out of your brownie and then tried to cover it up with Hershey's Syrup.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
working woman said:
Bob is only one on the right track

Well Thanks alot WW .
Its bad enough that he is the foremost expert on Snow Cats, cornfields, candy bars and Hawaiian Shirts and lesser brand tractors like Kubota . Now you got to go and say something to make him a dating expert too ????:pat: Good God Women !!! Think !!!!!

The mans head does not fit on his hairy little short legged body as it is and now you make it a little bigger :confused2:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
WW, let me clarify, I suggested he "think" fancy brownies as a way to get him to understand what a Chocolate Volcano Cake is.

Looks like someone threw up :puke1:

working woman

Site Supporter
BigAl said:
Well Thanks alot WW .
Its bad enough that he is the foremost expert on Snow Cats, cornfields, candy bars and Hawaiian Shirts and lesser brand tractors like Kubota . Now you got to go and say something to make him a dating expert too ????:pat: Good God Women !!! Think !!!!!

The mans head does not fit on his hairy little short legged body as it is and now you make it a little bigger :confused2:

Dang, and he's married :yum:

working woman

Site Supporter

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
working woman said:
Dang, and he's married :yum:
Which is why I can teach these youngsters how to do it.

Remember the old saying: Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach! :confused:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
bczoom said:
........Jedi - This forum has been up for almost 14 months but several of us knew each other prior to that date from other forums.

I don't know any of you from any other forum, that is my story, and I am sticking by it.:hide:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
B_Skurka said:
......After reading what you guys wrote I'm surprised any of you have kids. Did you just get your wives drunk and have your way with them while they slept? :yum:

Is this why you only have one child???? She woke up and realized what had happened...:hide:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Shake and Bake!! She even gets to help and brag about helping later!

You can use a propane torch on baked Alaska, but don't try it with the plasma cutter. It just splatters everywhere. :eek: