• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Pots & Pans needed...any recommendations?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We've got a hodge podge of assorted pots and pans and many are showing their age. Some are quality brands like Calphalon and Scanpan, others are department store pickups.

The lovely Mrs Bob doesn't want cast iron.

I'm leaning away from Calphalon because under heavy use the anodizing seems to wear off. Our pots and pans are testiment to that fact. We've tried several different pieces and eventually they all wear.

Cuisinart has never really impressed me, their stainless steel has always seemed to be pretty light guage.

I'm looking at a new set from Scanpan. Their "non stick" surface is not as non-stick as the traditional Teflon type, but it is very durable and our 2 Scanpan pans have held up and show very little wear. They use some sort of ceramic diamond something or other surface over the anodized aluminum. I like them for everything except frying eggs and other food that really sticks to a fry pan. BUT we don't really need new fry pans. We need saucepans, soup pots, etc. So we don't really need Teflon type coatings and our larger pots have it, and that is what is worn off.

One brand that intrigues me is All-Clad. I've never handled it, but at the prices they charge I have to expect it is much heavier than the Cuisinart brand, so that has me looking at it. It is all stainless inside and out, so it offers less non-stick than the Scanpan products, but some cooks seem to swear by stainless steel.

Anyone want to recommend another quality brand or talk me into a brand other than Scanpan (talk me out of Scanpan)?

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
no 2 ways 'bout it- as a Chef & having used 'em thru my entirety- all-clad. get all-clad. it's not cheap, tho lasts u thru ur last day. weight-wise, u shant be disappointed-- clad is rustic, hearty.
all other brands have dissapointed me in 1 way or another.
a few of my Chef instructors purchased them fer us. that's the only 1 they'd personally buy fer us.

Last edited:

Ironman

no 2 ways 'bout it- as a Chef & having used 'em thru my entirety- all-clad. get all-clad. it's not cheap, tho lasts u thru ur last day. weight-wise, u shant be disappointed.

+ 1 for All Clad. My set has served me well for the last 7+ years, no complaints and I will likely pass these onto my kids. Looks great too. It's not cheap though - you get what you pay for.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
But what about the fact that it is not non-stick? I'm all about easy clean up!

FWIW, I'm looking for 1, 2 and 3 quart saucepans and a soup pot of at least 6.5 quarts but not larger than 8.

OH, AND ONE MORE THING, the lovely Mrs Bob really likes the stay cool handles of the Scanpan. They can go into the oven and take heat up to 500 degrees. They are made of some sort of plastic.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
But what about the fact that it is not non-stick? I'm all about easy clean up!

Probably not relevant for your wants, but I haven't found a non-stick frying/saute pan that is worth a shit. I am rigorusly careful about using plastic or wooden utensils, and they still only last about 6 months.

I switched to cast iron for my 8, 10 & 12" frying pans as well as a pancake griddle, and I will never go back. I also have a chicken fryer and a couple of dutch ovens in cast iron, as well as a gigantic 18" frying pan that I have never used.

They can go into the oven and take heat up to 500 degrees.

So can the iron. :brows:

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
it can be non-stick~ nothing stuck, if well-oiled/greased.
& clad offers many items. my avvy- that's a clad pot~

Last edited:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't remember the brand name of ours but they are a stainless clad type. They have held up for 35 years and despite kids and the wife doing some dumb stuff in them over the years they are still nice. The stainless is not that hard to clean unless you totally scorch something in them. Then they leave them for me. I have 50 years of pot scrubbing experience.:w00t2:

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
+ 1 for All Clad. My set has served me well for the last 7+ years, no complaints and I will likely pass these onto my kids. Looks great too. It's not cheap though - you get what you pay for.

i have my Pap's!:w00t2:not all. enough to make me grin when i see it, tho~

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Probably not relevant for your wants, but I haven't found a non-stick frying/saute pan that is worth a shit. I am rigorusly careful about using plastic or wooden utensils, and they still only last about 6 months.

I switched to cast iron for my 8, 10 & 12" frying pans as well as a pancake griddle, and I will never go back. I also have a chicken fryer and a couple of dutch ovens in cast iron, as well as a gigantic 18" frying pan that I have never used.

So can the iron. :brows:

I could not have said it any better!:clap:

Regards, Kirk

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I cook on and induction stove and for the most part I use stainless steel or cast iron on it. Now as for non stick I use scan pan exclusively since they was the first to build a pan that would work on induction as well as any other stove. Most of my pans are Al-Clad however I some other such as Wolfgang Puck stuff and Enamelware that also work on my stove. For gas or electric anything should work period. Cast iron was the first really non stick pan and works great if seasoned properly.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob - Can I jump in on your thread? Mrs. Zoom and I were discussing the same thing last night.

We need another 20-quart stock pot. Any recommendations? Just looked and All Clad doesn't make them that size.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob - Can I jump in on your thread? Mrs. Zoom and I were discussing the same thing last night.

We need another 20-quart stock pot. Any recommendations? Just looked and All Clad doesn't make them that size.

We have one of these in 20 qt, except ours has a glass lid.

http://amzn.com/B000ZMIWSK

edit: And we didn't pay anywhere near that price....I think only $50.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I look at fry pans differently than I look at sauce pans and those I separate from soup pots. Consequently I have no problems with different brands based on different needs.

• Logically, a fry pan should be heavy on the bottom and up the sides so the pan is the same thickness from base to rim, I also think it should be non-stick; its reasonable to have some with insulated handles, and at least one with a metal handle that can go under a broiler.
  • A sauce pan should also be heavy, thick bottom to eliminate hot spots, thick sides help maintain heat, clear lids and dome lids are both a benefit, but they do not necessarily need to be non-stick, insulated handles are a bonus.
  • A large soup/stock pot is likely going to sit on the heat for hours and simmer. It can be made of lighter materials but still benefits from a thick bottom.
All that said, I have not looked for pots the size to which you refer. The very large soup pots we own are commercial aluminum pots, I think we got ours from a foodservice purveyor. They are probably available at places like Gordon's Food Service, Sam's Club and Costco too.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, let's expand a bit. Aluminum or Stainless? We've moved away from aluminum, especially in the pots where we do canning.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
i'd look into industrial supply for a stockpot. u may appreciate one w/ a spigot.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, let's expand a bit. Aluminum or Stainless? We've moved away from aluminum, especially in the pots where we do canning.

Mine are aluminum, but aluminum can stain and interact with some food acids. If you are canning then I'd look for one at a commercial supplier (or Amazon/etc) that has a heavy bottom and is made with stainless steel. Some have an aluminum plate on the bottom to disperse heat but the body is still made of stainless.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine are aluminum, but aluminum can stain and interact with some food acids. If you are canning then I'd look for one at a commercial supplier (or Amazon/etc) that has a heavy bottom and is made with stainless steel. Some have an aluminum plate on the bottom to disperse heat but the body is still made of stainless.

agreed. the aluminum, when combined w/ acidity, pits. so if an improperly-sealed jar leaked, the pot would lose value. def. would get stainless for that.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have one of these in 20 qt, except ours has a glass lid.

http://amzn.com/B000ZMIWSK

edit: And we didn't pay anywhere near that price....I think only $50.

Tramontina are pretty good pots I have a couple enameled stock pots by them also. They are also very reasonably priced.
I stopped into the local SAM'S Club and they sell this brand. Very limited selection, but the prices were pretty modest. Looks to be a pretty good value.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Why are you stressing over these pots, Bob? You know dang well it will be what SHE likes and your part is to pay for them.:clap::clap:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
So too is the Kirkland brand from Costco.

Never been in a Costco since I've never lived where one was at the time I lived there. I do hear there are plans now to build one in Lexington but Sam's club is where I got mine from I believe.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Congratulations Bob....looks like Melensmom not only picked out new pots nad pans, but a new stove.

Hope you have a good back!

Pioneer+Stove.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone have, or use, any Le Creuset cookware?

Its cast iron, but coated in enamel.

Again, primary pots and pans we are looking for are roughly 1, 2, 3 quart sauce pots, a couple sauté pans in the 2.5 to 4 quart size range and perhaps something in the 5 to 7 quart size cooking pot.

Not so much looking for frying pans or larger soup/stock pots.

I seem to recall my mom (or maybe one of my aunts) had a dutch oven from Le Creuset that was big, heavy and well made.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
we used it @ school- most instructor's luved it. a few bought pieces 'fer us. it was okay. much prefer clad, tho. i have a 'lil porcelain baking dish that is great for an individual portion.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter

Its cast iron, but coated in enamel.

Again, primary pots and pans we are looking for are roughly 1, 2, 3 quart sauce pots, a couple sauté pans in the 2.5 to 4 quart size range and perhaps something in the 5 to 7 quart size cooking pot.

Not so much looking for frying pans or larger soup/stock pots.

I seem to recall my mom (or maybe one of my aunts) had a dutch oven from Le Creuset that was big, heavy and well made.

Yes, I have two Le Creuset that we bought 48 years ago when we first got married. It has held up well but have since added 1 by Tramontina and one by Lodge both are every bit as good as Le Creuset but considerably cheaper.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter

I have an enameled cast iron dutch oven by Kirkland (Costco), I have never heard anything bad about Le Creuset, but I can 100% vouch for the style of pot. It's absolutely wonderful for making pot roast, deep frying, soups, etc.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Seems like we have had a lot of diferent brands over the years but always go back to good old cast iron......mom is trying the dimond coated things right nowbut Ill take the cast iron......besides it is fermer when ya get wacked up side the head!!!!!