• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Affordable family vacation?

jwstewar

Monica and I are thinking about a vacation this year. Since we've been married, we haven't taken a vacation - unless you count a trip to Kings Island and then an overnight stay in Cincinnati so that we could go to the Newport Aquarium the next day.

First we aren't wanting to spend a ton of money.

Second we will probably drive - even if gas prices go back up, probably cheaper than flying 5 & renting a vehicle when we get there and it wouldn't be near as comfortable and have as much room as our Suburban.

Third we will have an almost 1 year old daughter, 8 year old son, and 9 year old daughter. Need to include them all. Disney or some place like that is probably out because of Addyson (1 year old) not being able to do much (cost would probably also eliminate it) and that would leave me or Monica sitting most of the time.

Some of the places we are kind of considering are something like Niagra Falls and maybe a stop off in NYC...... Maybe a trip to Nashville by renting a Chalet or something like that. Just want to make sure there is something to keep the kids interest for a few days. Depending upon where & cost probably in the 3 - 7 day range.

Ideas?

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Colonial Williamsburg? Silver Dollar City in the Mo Ozarks with a stop in St. Loius for the arch & Science Center? (great place for pre-teems to mess around) If the kids were a bit older, I'd suggest "the House on the Rock" about 30 miles West of Madison, Wi, or the kansas cosmosphere in Hutchinson, Ks. Hiking/Camping in the Shenandoa (sp?) valley?

k-dog

The Inner Harbor in Baltimore is pretty cool and not real expensive.
Plus you could even go to DC for part of the trip and see the National Zoo and some of the museums. Kids would love spy museum probably.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Good call! Baltimore aquarium is great fun, and the smithsonian air & space & science museums would be a big hit with kids & adults, both.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Good call! Baltimore aquarium is great fun, and the smithsonian air & space & science museums would be a big hit with kids & adults, both.
Agreed!
My boys were 5 and 10 the first time we went to DC.
You can never go wrong with kids and museums.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hate to work from a price first, but can you give a range for "affordable"?

You mentioned Disney. That looks to be about 1,000 miles from your place. Is that pretty much the maximum range?

I typed in a couple places to get distances to your area (I used Columbus).
Orlando = 950
NY, NY = 540
Niagara Falls = 350
Wisconsin Dells = 550
Branson, MO = 670
Nashville, TN = 380

You mentioned Niagara Falls and "maybe a stop off in NYC". Ummm, not sure if you put it on a map but from Niagara Falls to NYC is pretty darn far (at over 400 miles).

Of the destinations listed above, I'd probably start with Niagara Falls for a family trip. How does Addyson (and the older 2) handle long trips?

There's a lot of things in the NF area for all ages. Almost all can be done by the entire family. When we took our kids, we went to:
The Falls...
Cave of the Winds
Maid of the Mist
Prospect Point
Goat Island
Aquarium of NF

We then went by car northwards and visited:
Whirlpool park
Devil's hole park
Hyrdo-Electric plant (there's a hands-on museum thing there)
Fort Niagara (one of the oldest forts in the USA).

For a family of 5 with your kids ages, total price:
5-parts of NF = $100or so (buy the pass that gets you the things listed above for the falls as a single book and transportation between them for a day).
Fort Niagara - $32
State parks = free
Hydro-electric plant = free (or really cheap, I don't remember).
2 nights in NF hotel = $200 (There's a Comfort Inn right at the entrance of NF that has rates under $100). It has a pool, restaurant, free parking... It was just converted from a Sheraton last year.
Gas = $80 (round trip)
Tolls (in NY) = $12

OK, that's a 3-day trip for under $450 + food.

Want to extend that and make it a bit longer?
Go visit some stuff in Canada. Fort Erie...

And/Or:
Indoor water park in Erie PA (you're driving right past it). It's kind of pricey as I recall but if your kids like to swim and you can make a day of it, they may really enjoy it.

American Woman

Site Supporter
I know it's winter where you are, but it's summer conditions to you here.There are lots of hotels and motels on the beaches, that have stuff for the kids and the beach. We have done that and stayed in the same area all week. This is a good time of year for prices being lower for beach stuff. If you have a camper there are some cool state park camping areas here too.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim,
What's the travel limit? With an 8 yr old and 9 yr old, how long will they be comfortable (quiet and not fighting) with you on the road?
The East coast might be an option to get them in the ocean. Niagara Falls is not all that far away. I had a great time there. St. Louis is a plane ride for me. :yum: Even though it's only about 8 hours. Florida would be a two day car ride for me, I'm a wuss. So don't spend 3-4 days of your 7 days driving.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Salt Fork State Park is close to Cambridge Oh. and is nice (I-77 & I-70 interchange). They have a lodge, and camping. Nice beach. They might also rent cabins. A canoe or little boat would add to the fun.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Here's my experience,

Go south, west or southwest. If you come east or northeast it will cost you $$$.

From Massachusetts:

2001 Car trip to southwest 21 states 3 weeks 7000 miles eating in local restaurants no chains except Cracker Barrell. Red roof Inns, Hampton inns and some locals. All expenses less souvenirs $1300.

2004 1 week Oklahoma State fair + 1 week touring area $800.00 for everything but souvenirs.

2006 10 days So. Dakota / Wyoming Black Hills, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Deadwood etc. $1000.00

Great Smokey Mts is a great destination. Both sides the North Carolina side, Maggie Valley, is beautiful and economical the Tennessee side is more touristy $$ but a lot to do. Gatlingburg, Pigeon Forge etc.

Some of the best things we've seen were free and not well known.

ps: Right now Vegas hasn't been this cheap in 15 - 20 years.

Good luck.

urednecku

Site Supporter
Years ago we saved a ton of $$$ going to the time share sales. Once we spent 4 days, 3 nights ON Daytona beach, BEACHSIDE, about 5 stories up, plus dinner for 2 @ Red Lobster. It cost us $65.00 and about 90 minutes for the "presentation". If ya go with the right frame of mind, you can have some fun with the salespeople, and their 'supervisor'!!

Anywhere ya go, have fun!

jwstewar

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys and gals. Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but I ended up actually having to work yesterday afternoon - can you believe them - they expect me to work at work.:glare: Then was busy at home last night.

To answer the questions so far.

Distance wise, the kids do pretty good in the vehicles. They could take their TVs and watch DVDs. They could also take the laptop and surf the Internet depending upon the coverage area. Addyson usually sleeps in the car, not sure how that will be in 4 - 6 months though.

Depending on costs of things, we could stretch it a bit. We could actually leave on a Friday (or even Thursday evening, but that would push it) and we could then have 10 days. Just worried that would break the budget w/ that many nights in a hotel, but it is doable.

As far as budget goes. Probably somewhere in the $1000 - $1500 range, but could possibly hit $2000 if it was soemthing we really wanted to do. I don't count "normal" foods in this number - because we have to eat when we are home anyway. I.E. if we are heading some place and we grab a burger on the way, that wouldn't count, but if we decided to go some place for dinner and the meal for the 4 of us (most restaurants don't serve baby formula :biggrin:) was $250 that would certainly have to be counted toward the budget.

I know these aren't concrete answers, but that is because we aren't sure yet.

Oh, & AW, we have a camper, but there is no way I would be dragging it along that far. Besides Monica has already eliminated a week of camping as a "vacation."

American Woman

Site Supporter
Oh, & AW, we have a camper, but there is no way I would be dragging it along that far. Besides Monica has already eliminated a week of camping as a "vacation."
I can't really blame her with a 1 year old :biggrin:
I have never been on a cruise but plan to make it our next vacation. We haven't been on a vacation for a few years either. l like the idea of a cruise because it's one price for everything in one area, and meals. There are planned activities for the kids and the parents. Our kids are 5 and 12.
Here's one just for starters http://www.cruisesonly.com/promotion/cruisesonly/disney/default.asp

Bamby

What about a roving vacation of various interests. Just south of you a ways Fort Boonesboro is interesting. Had people in period costumes doing various period day to day tasks. Also tour the lock tenders house or quarters at nearby. The antique furniture in that place is awesome in design and detail. These two are real close to each other and very little cost as they are state parks. Then next day maybe check out Fort Harold which is a couple hours away maybe. Has a museum, reconstructed fort and various things of interest. My favorite vacations are roving to points of interst and moving on to next. And I have opportuity to see a lot of senery along the way. For I usually avoid interstates and travel the 2 lane highway.

American Woman

Site Supporter
My favorite vacations are roving to points of interest and moving on to next. And I have opportunity to see a lot of scenery along the way. For I usually avoid interstates and travel the 2 lane highway.
That's what I was thinking too. Since they plan on driving....they can drive here for a 3 day cruise, and sight see on the way down and back up.
icon10.gif

jwstewar

We were looking at this thread last night discussing the ideas. Right now we are kind of interested in a 3 - 5 day cruise and maybe some sight seeing around Florida or on the way down/back. Sure would be nice if we could go now as the kids could sail free. By waiting until June, the kids no longer sail free and worse they are the same price as an adult.

We are also interested in the Gatlingburg or Pigeon Forge area. I was looking at some of the Chalet rental yesterday.

American Woman

Site Supporter
We were looking at this thread last night discussing the ideas. Right now we are kind of interested in a 3 - 5 day cruise and maybe some sight seeing around Florida or on the way down/back. Sure would be nice if we could go now as the kids could sail free. By waiting until June, the kids no longer sail free and worse they are the same price as an adult.

I haven't looked into this a whole lot, but most times cruises are booked in advance, so I wonder if you can buy the package now and go in June? I'll ask around a little more too. Most all Cruise ships have plans for the kids...so if Disney don't work out look at others.

jwstewar

I haven't looked into this a whole lot, but most times cruises are booked in advance, so I wonder if you can buy the package now and go in June? I'll ask around a little more too. Most all Cruise ships have plans for the kids...so if Disney don't work out look at others.

We looked at a few others briefly last night. It looks like it all is based on when you actually cruise - not when you buy. They know not many people are cruising now so they must offer better deals.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If the cruise idea does not work out, I just heard of a place that sounds plenty interesting, but I've never been there.
Gatlinburg TN. I think someone mentioned it already in this thread. A co worker goes down there regularly and said they always have fun with their 4 boys. They have a 3 story go cart track with special slick sections that sounded like a riot. Dollywood is close by and he said there is lots to do. So, I'm passing this on 2nd hand, but thought it sounded good.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Pigeon Forge (near Dollywood) looked like one overgrown tourist trap to us; we did stay there, but not being into that found more interesting things off-the-beaten-path. Beautiful area!

American Woman

Site Supporter
http://www.old-town.com/VisitorInfo.html this is about an hour away from us, but we live in the country and it's like worlds away when we go. Some of the resorts, or hotels have activities for the kids in. You can reserve one for how ever many days you want, and stay right there with everything in the hotel or with in walking distance. There is usually a small fridge in the rooms. We walk to the grocery store for small breakfast items or sandwich stuff and snacks. We went once a day for a walk around the town and ate supper out. The kids stay in the swimming pool all day, then at night we'd buy them bracelets to ride all they want at the small fair in Old Town. There are also museums, and attractions all with in an hour or closer to where you may be staying. You will be with in half an hour to Disney World, Sea World, Dinner Theaters....pretty much what ever you want....But I don't think you will have to leave the Old Town area for days.

daedong

Washington DC, Its a must see for Yankee kids, with lots of free stuff. Stay out of down town (cheaper) but close to the metro. The metro in Washington DC is second to none .

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Washington DC, Its a must see for Yankee kids, with lots of free stuff. Stay out of down town (cheaper) but close to the metro. The metro in Washington DC is second to none .
Like College Park, Maryland. :biggrin:
That's where we stayed when we took a family trip to DC, many moons ago.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
If the cruise idea does not work out, I just heard of a place that sounds plenty interesting, but I've never been there.
Gatlinburg TN. I think someone mentioned it already in this thread. A co worker goes down there regularly and said they always have fun with their 4 boys. They have a 3 story go cart track with special slick sections that sounded like a riot. Dollywood is close by and he said there is lots to do. So, I'm passing this on 2nd hand, but thought it sounded good.

TONS OF GREAT STUFF HERE, you can rent a chalet in the woods close to everything, plenty of GREAT places to eat, the BESTEST aquarium in the world, Ripley's, and many other kid friendly things. When all is done the adults have a fun time too.

http://www.gatlinburg.com/

jwstewar

I thought I would post back what we decided to do. Things changed a little bit once we bought the new camper.:whistling:

So we decided to take it out for a week. We've gone down to Lake Cumberland. We went to see the falls yesterday. I think we are going to go back on the 11th for a meteor shower. I think we are also going to go to Mammoth Caves one day.

Attachments

• DSC_1606.jpg
    DSC_1606.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_1607.jpg
    DSC_1607.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_1615.jpg
    DSC_1615.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 100

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought I would post back what we decided to do. Things changed a little bit once we bought the new camper.:whistling:

So we decided to take it out for a week. We've gone down to Lake Cumberland. We went to see the falls yesterday. I think we are going to go back on the 11th for a meteor shower. I think we are also going to go to Mammoth Caves one day.
Nice looking set up Jim.

I'm actually "vacationing" in Canada right now. Big family bash up here. Graduations, birth, birthday........etc