• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What is your favorite whiskey?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been a Jack Daniels kind of guy for years whenever I have a drink. A client bought me a bottle of "Gentleman's Jack" but I can't tell much difference. It's been a while, but I think I liked Maker's Mark as well. I don't really care for Crown Royal. I had some stuff at another business client's place way down in South Carolina called Rebel Yell and thought it tasted a bit like Jack.

So, if I like Jack Daniels, what other brands of whiskey do you think I'd like? I'm not a big drinker; a .750 liter of Jack lasts me about a year, depending on how often I have people over to help drink it. I say that because if a whiskey is really good, I'm not opposed to something that is somewhat expensive since I don't drink much. Would Maker's Mark be my best alternative?

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I've been a Jack Daniels kind of guy for years whenever I have a drink. A client bought me a bottle of "Gentleman's Jack" but I can't tell much difference. It's been a while, but I think I liked Maker's Mark as well. I don't really care for Crown Royal. I had some stuff at another business client's place way down in South Carolina called Rebel Yell and thought it tasted a bit like Jack.

So, if I like Jack Daniels, what other brands of whiskey do you think I'd like? I'm not a big drinker; a .750 liter of Jack lasts me about a year, depending on how often I have people over to help drink it. I say that because if a whiskey is really good, I'm not opposed to something that is somewhat expensive since I don't drink much. Would Maker's Mark be my best alternative?

Here is a subject I love! I AM a Crown fan.. For those that are too, but are younger/poorer/cheap like me... Kessler is a good alternative. FIL has been bringing over Military Special since it's been on sale at the Class 6... I THINK it's a rebottled Evan Williams. Wifey has been know to really like Jameson Irish Whiskey too.

D

darroll

I uses to drink Jack Daniels, it got too sweet.
Now for a guy my age, I drink Old Crow.
Did they name it after me?
Hush Up, Little Pirate.
Someday I’m going to tell her the three strikes your out rules… For dealing with women.
LOL

:smile:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I drink beer most of the time. But I also have a bottle of Jack and a bottle of Glenfiddich Scotch Whiskey on hand. I've had each bottle over a year, but once in awhile I'll have a drink or two.
I don't think you could go wrong with Makers Mark but give Glenfiddich a try when you get a chance. So smooth. :D

OTOH if you are looking for something to liven up your beer get a bottle of Jagermeister and have a shot of it and chase it with a beer. :D Makes for a fun night. :D

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Was never that fond of Jack or Crown. Eagle Rare isn't bad, I kind of like Rebel Yell, but I'm mostly a single malt scotch drinker for whiskeys - although I'm not prejudiced against a good Irish either. Another thing you might try if you can find it is Yukon Jack -- sort of like a high test Canadian version of Southern Comfort... Doc - try the Balveinie (?sp) double cask or the Dalwhinnie (sp?) cigar malt: both very tasty.

Gatorboy

Bookers

bookers.jpg

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Now are we talking Kentucky, Tennessee, Canadian, Scottish Whisky, or Irish here?

Turkey is tasty, but I doubt a "Jack" man would like it. I'm with Darroll, Jack is too sweet, but I'll skip the Crow as well. If Gaterboy is buying, that Bookers would be fine with me; not sure on that either for a Jack guy, but more for me!

On the cheap side, rather than more sophisticated, I think 10high makes a pretty sweet tasting one [IIRC; many years ago]; I wasn't partial to it, but didn't complain for the price.

Erik, I think the Cigar malt is Dalmore, but maybe Dalwhinnie has one too. I like more peat flavor in a Scottish, but for the Jack drinker perhaps a Famous Grouse [blended] would be good, or for smooth Cragganmore [in a single] perhaps.

How about Tullymore Dew in an Irish?

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo, try some Single Barrel Jack Daniels. It is even more smooth than Gentleman Jack.

Bob

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I do like Crown Royal and will hide it when I have certain visitors. I keep a bottle of Jack Black label or any Canadian whiskey on hand for them.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Erik, I think the Cigar malt is Dalmore, but maybe Dalwhinnie has one too. I like more peat flavor in a Scottish, but for the Jack drinker perhaps a Famous Grouse [blended] would be good, or for smooth Cragganmore [in a single] perhaps.

How about Tullymore Dew in an Irish?
you're right - it is Dalmore.
Tully is good stuff, as is dimple pinch.
now if you're looking for smoky, I have some lavagulin 16 in the cabinet I could share.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I uses to drink Jack Daniels, it got too sweet.
Now for a guy my age, I drink Old Crow.
Did they name it after me?
Hush Up, Little Pirate.
Someday I’m going to tell her the three strikes your out rules… For dealing with women.
LOL

:smile:
:rolf2:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't drink very often anymore but my favorite is still the Macallan Single malt. 12 year old is good enough. It's a lot like Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie, in that it is a middle of the road single malt, but I like it a little better. I keep a bottle in the house for emergencies. My usual, everyday drinking stuff used to be Johnnie Walker Black or even the Red, depending on my state of affluence at the time. If you like a real peaty Scotch, you'll like Laphroaigh from Islay. It's about as peaty as it gets.

I never did develop a taste for American or Canadian Whiskey. I always found them a little too sweet. I did however get totally legless once on a Japanese whiskey that I though was pretty good but that may have had something to do with the quantity consumed.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I did however get totally legless once on a Japanese whiskey that I though was pretty good but that may have had something to do with the quantity consumed.
I do recall a crawling incident after consuming a bit too much Napoleon brandy.. but I am getting away from the topic at hand..:smile::yum:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Not a big fan of whisky......more of a beer guy myself. Don't really care for Crown Royal.(had a bad experience once) But if whisky is the only thing left to drink, then I'll take some Forty Creek. Nice flavour, goes down smooth, no hangover the next day. We got into some of that out at camp last summer. Nice.......

Attachments

• 40_Crk_bottle_RGB_05_clip.gif
    40_Crk_bottle_RGB_05_clip.gif
    19.3 KB · Views: 79

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Uh, um.....er, turn the lights down a bit and not so loud please.:blink:

I was at a client's house last night and brought up this same question. I had no idea he had every whiskey known to man...and then some! I feel like I did this :bonk: all night. :blush:

Okay, that Wild Turkey hits kind of hard if you ask me. Who the hell is George Dickle? Never heard of that one. The trouble is that our tasting session involved taking shots of each. I couldn't taste much after the first half a dozrn. Except that black Yeager shit and Cutty Sark. How can people drink that shit?? The Yeager was from the freezer but it didn't help! He put milk in that Cutty crap!! It still tasted like Drano to me.

I'm back. Thought i needed to say a quick prayer to that porcelin god but got stage fright once on my knees to prat. Now I trmember why I don't drink much.:censored: I suppose it was fun last night at that Christmas party but now I gotta go get my car back (yeah, I was the first to give up my keys.) I have another party tonight....oh boy. Maybe I'll try fine sparkling water tonight. :smile:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo, best thing to do is start drinking now. Pretty soon you won't care if you feel better.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
take 2 advil with a quart of water and go back to bed for an hour.
repeat every 4 hours until you go to the next party, where you'llbe spending so much time in line for the bathroom you won't have a chance to get drunk!

:tongue:

D

darroll

My buddy used to drink Sirius Nobel sour mash whiskey.
Do they still make that stuff?
Maybe that was one reason he died at 21 in a car crash. RIP, buddy, Delbert (Freshower) Davis