• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

British Cars versus American Cars

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
My everyday car is a Volvo V40 estate which is petrol, I use this for most purposes as it is reasonable fuel economy over my Land Rover Discovery, which is diesel. I have to keep the Discovery for towing purposes, and it is not uneconomical for its capacity. The disco is not the fastest car on the planet, I think the volvo is better, though much older. It is a case of 'horses for courses'. I also own an old Landrover 109 which originally was petrol, but now has a diesel engine, this thing pulls like a train, but is only used for going to Military rallies etc., slow and noisy, but it would probably go up the side of a house. The old Jeep is petrol and is also slow and noisy and very uncomfortable to drive, but as it is mainly carried in the back of the horsebox, I don't luckily, have to drive it far. I do have a couple of other old cars, both are petrol as in the days when they were made, we didn't have the choice of petrol or diesel. As for straight roads, Bob, we do have some, but cars are not legally allowed to do more than 60 miles an hour on ordinary roads and are limited to 70 on motorways so it is the government, not the road conditions, that make for slow journeys - lorries, by the way are limited to 40 mph on ordinary roads, 50 mph on dual carriageways and 60 on motorways, though we can't actually do that as lorries (trucks to you) are fitted with limiters that operate at 56 mph. This makes for very slow journeys in trucks, it takes me nine and a half hours, at least, to go to the War and Peace show in Kent, from where I live in Wales.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
YA DA YADA.

I said I like diesel but have yet to be blown away. Diesels are great for economy of fuel and Longevity. That some models are overcoming bad traits is good but the models praised here are high ticket cars, not the average Joe communters.

The VW Jetta TDI is about $23,000.00 and the VW Passat TDI is about $26,000 . . . nicely equipped.

The Passat is aimed at the Honda Accord, Ford Fusion, Chevy Impala and Toyota Camry market . . . about as average as you can get! The Jetta is aimed at the Honda Civic, Chevy Malibu, Nissan Sentra market . . . which may be a notch below average.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
The VW Jetta TDI is about $23,000.00 and the VW Passat TDI is about $26,000 . . . nicely equipped.

The Passat is aimed at the Honda Accord, Ford Fusion, Chevy Impala and Toyota Camry market . . . about as average as you can get! The Jetta is aimed at the Honda Civic, Chevy Malibu, Nissan Sentra market . . . which may be a notch below average.

MB diesels are also lower in initial cost for the same bodelin petrol, but often at the expense of upgrades. BMW is not cheap no matter what.

These brands tend to be expensive to service. I never went to the Benz dealer without getting service for "free" because it was in the purchase contract or spending a grand because it wasn't. My BMW friends say the same. Don't know about the VW brand.

250K on my 1995 Dodge 3500. Only thing on the engine I have fixed was a fuel control valve. Cummin's puts together some fine machinery.
And, as it is turboe'd it is quick off the line.

But a V-10 it ain't. And 90 MPH is it on the top end.
Sorry guys, diesels are just,,,,,slower.

Last edited:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
read lots here on the diesel engine being loud,messy ect....not here in the UK i can assure you.

you can pretty much buy any make or model here with a diesel lump and they are all in a different league these days... quiet with plenty of grunt,from a 1.4 litre diesel right up to 3.o ltr and above ,the smaller lumps are yes sluggish but do a good job,most are di or tdi ect and like my neighbours bmw 325 diesel gives a return of 84mpg used with care or 28 driven like a animal,sounds like petrol and performs amazingly and from a car that is 4 years old and a price tag of £15,000...pretty damn neat.

yes we do have the added bonus of gas stations having 50/50 on pumps to serve both,this is the biggest problem the USA has...as for well gas and diesel is close on price well trust me mpg pays of on a diesel.

ps....Rusty drives a bucket of shit:yum::yum::yum:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Yes, I believe we conceded that point about diesels being slower, despite the fact that I can spin the tires in my daughter's Jetta.

But your points about stinky, loud, clanking, etc are all untrue in the modern TDI engines.

As for your point about them not being for the "average joe commuter" that is also disproven by the VW brand of diesels which are nicely equipped and priced to compete with other "average joe" cars like Honda, Ford, Nissan and Toyota.

SShepherd

MB diesels are also lower in initial cost for the same bodelin petrol, but often at the expense of upgrades. BMW is not cheap no matter what.

These brands tend to be expensive to service. I never went to the Benz dealer without getting service for "free" because it was in the purchase contract or spending a grand because it wasn't. My BMW friends say the same. Don't know about the VW brand.

250K on my 1995 Dodge 3500. Only thing on the engine I have fixed was a fuel control valve. Cummin's puts together some fine machinery.
And, as it is turboe'd it is quick off the line.

But a V-10 it ain't. And 90 MPH is it on the top end.

have you priced a new 3500 ? I think you'll be suprised.

as far as BMW service, I didn't pay for anything for 16months

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
have you priced a new 3500 ? I think you'll be suprised.

as far as BMW service, I didn't pay for anything for 16months

Buy a used one...I said service was free on items under the contract. Actually you did pay for it when you bought the car. Or did you think that was all FREE. If so, can I sell you something?

And for the record, you didn't buy a new BMW for $25K

Apples and Pears pal.

As for the Dodge 3500, I don't get your point. I never said it was cheap to buy. It is a real work truck, not a grocery getter.
( I did pay only $21K for it in 1995, brand spanking new)

And in that GG arena $25K is not cheap or average. One can get a GG econobox for $12to $15K

Apples and Pears again

Look, you like your diesel, I like mine. But they are not equal footing with Petrol any more than a Chevy Cobalt is the same as an Infinity M35.

If the two power plants were equal in performance and appeal, they would be equal in sales.

They ain't

Nuff said.

Galvatron

Buy a used one...I said service was free on items under the contract. Actually you did pay for it when you bought the car. Or did you think that was all FREE. If so, can I sell you something?

And for the record, you didn't buy a new BMW for $25K

Apples and Pears pal.

As for the Dodge 3500, I don't get your point. I never said it was cheap to buy. It is a real work truck, not a grocery getter.
( I did pay only $21K for it in 1995, brand spanking new)

And in that GG arena $25K is not cheap or average. One can get a GG econobox for $12to $15K

Apples and Pears again

Look, you like your diesel, I like mine. But they are not equal footing with Petrol any more than a Chevy Cobalt is the same as an Infinity M35.

If the two power plants were equal in performance and appeal, they would be equal in sales.

They ain't

Nuff said.

soooooo....apple or pear????...you seem to be confused but at the same time like them both????

sounds going south to me:yum::yum::yum:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
soooooo....apple or pear????...you seem to be confused but at the same time like them both????

sounds going south to me:yum::yum::yum:

I have been clear, I like and own them both but,,,,,they are not the same. Both from the same genus of vehicles but distinctly different in flavor and use.

Apples and pears, is that too complicated a metaphor?

Galvatron

I have been clear, I like and own them both but,,,,,they are not the same. Both from the same genus of vehicles but distinctly different in flavor and use.

Apples and pears, is that too complicated a metaphor?

"but"....thats where you piss me off as you have lots of but and no real answer...get franc or fuck off...do i dont i????...got a view on all things unless you want a opinion that people give a fuck about....

come on ff whats this all about???? ff giving up on being real or what???

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
"but"....thats where you piss me off as you have lots of but and no real answer...get franc or fuck off...do i dont i????...got a view on all things unless you want a opinion that people give a fuck about....

come on ff whats this all about???? ff giving up on being real or what???

So I was right, that metaphor WAS too complicated. My apologies sir.

I did answer the question...I like both diesel and Petrol. I favor one over the other for different purposes

Are you suggesting I absolutely must chose? Now that sir is wanky.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
answer the "but" mr educated ???simple???
I could engage in this tit for tat crap all day galvie. But the Forum belongs to everyone here. So ,,I'll leave you to stew in whatever that is which has made you so lovable today..

:beatdeadhorse5:

Bye.

Galvatron

I could engage in this tit for tat crap all day galvie. But the Forum belongs to everyone here. So ,,I'll leave you to stew in whatever that is which has made you so lovable today..

:beatdeadhorse5:

Bye.

try not to rush back...love on a postcard...via i dont give a shit.

get your votes elsewhere:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
So FrancSeven, basically you agree with me, that they both have their uses and disadvantages, as I said 'horses for courses' or as you said 'apples and pears' - different expressions, same meaning.