• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Please Help Identify

desertsnow

Greetings!!!
I've been lurking around here for a while trying to educate myself a bit as I have been toying with the idea of purchasing my first snowcat as a project for my son and me. I have been quite impressed with the great information and photos that are shared here!!! I have come across my first candidate for purchase, but I am not quite sure of the make and history of this machine. I have not yet had a chance to speak to the owner, but have had someone (my Dad) take some pictures for me. Any info on what this may be would be greatly appreciated!!! My Dad has looked at it and believes it to be hydraulically driven... I am curious as to the fact that there are sprockets both forward and aft on the tracks. Thanks in advance for taking a look.

Attachments

• 100_0598.jpg
    100_0598.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
seems like a waste to do it that way i would guess the front sproket is a guide and the rears are the drivers the only reaso i can see for this is to ramp the front of the track a bit to make it better preform in the deep snow.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Greetings!!!
I've been lurking around here for a while trying to educate myself a bit as I have been toying with the idea of purchasing my first snowcat as a project for my son and me. I have been quite impressed with the great information and photos that are shared here!!! I have come across my first candidate for purchase, but I am not quite sure of the make and history of this machine. I have not yet had a chance to speak to the owner, but have had someone (my Dad) take some pictures for me. Any info on what this may be would be greatly appreciated!!! My Dad has looked at it and believes it to be hydraulically driven... I am curious as to the fact that there are sprockets both forward and aft on the tracks. Thanks in advance for taking a look.

The front part of the cab would be similar of a Bombardier but the sprocket in the front would have been added. a rear shot would hopefully show a differential do you have anymore info at all ?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
The front part of the cab would be similar of a Bombardier but the sprocket in the front would have been added. a rear shot would hopefully show a differential do you have anymore info at all ?
your good boggie replace the front sproket with a road wheel and you have a skidozer

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
member 218bryan and I were talking and he thinks it could be a overgrown Bombi and after looking at it again he could be right. because it does look like a smaller 4.50X10 tire and the cleats look to be about the right size just offset as a Bombi. and the tire guides do look like a Bombi but that would make the front the drive sprocket and the rear the idler unless they did something funky and that would explain the flat look because that suspension would not carry all that weight very good. not sure that is a good first cat if that is the case could be a basket of worms

Mtn-Track

At least a Bombi has some sort of approach angle on the front of the tracks. This one looks like it would dig-in more than climb-up on the snow, at least going forwards. Definately different concept for a snow cat, if that's what it originally was...:ermm:

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I have to agree with Boggie he is right about not being the best choice for first snow cat what ever it started life as it's likely to be a basket of worms to keep going and what aboout parts if it's a skidozer cab on what kind of chassis and where did the undercarrage come from.next question is how does it stay in the tracks and who ever put it together do they have any engineering experiance and how good of a fabricater are they my last question would be why are they selling it.

desertsnow

My apologies for taking so long to gather additional info! Unfortunately, work has been getting in the way of my personal life....
Some additional info that has surfaced:
1972 Bombardier, Ford 250 straight six, twin hydro pumps & motors, hydro motors are 2-speed, independent rear end (gear boxes), 28" tracks.
I should have some additional photos to post Thursday.
Thank you all for your input!!!