• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Obama says "Quit listening to Limbaugh ......

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
..... if you want to get things done."

See the story from the NYP

Looks like he's starting to show his ass and arrogance. Things may heat up on this bullshit stimulus package.

WASHINGTON -- President Obama warned Republicans on Capitol Hill today that they need to quit listening to radio king Rush Limbaugh if they want to get along with Democrats and the new administration.

"You can't just listen to Rush Limbaugh and get things done," he told top GOP leaders, whom he had invited to the White House to discuss his nearly $1 trillion stimulus package.

One White House official confirmed the comment but said he was simply trying to make a larger point about bipartisan efforts.

"There are big things that unify Republicans and Democrats," the official said. "We shouldn't let partisan politics derail what are very important things that need to get done."

That wasn't Obama's only jab at Republicans today.

While discussing the stimulus package with top lawmakers in the White House's Roosevelt Room, President Obama shot down a critic with a simple message.

"I won," he said, according to aides who were briefed on the meeting. "I will trump you on that."

The response was to the objection by Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.) to the president's proposal to increase benefits for low-income workers who don't owe federal income taxes.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Personally what I hope is that Obama actually unites the GOP and they get a spine.

What I have seen for the last 16 years is that the GOP has been splintering off with most of the members turning into moderate Democrats in their actions. With the attitude that Pelosi & Reid have in the House & Senate, and now with confrontational statements like this from Obama, it is simply my hope that the GOP unites and returns to its principles.

I sure hope the GOP changes from its errant ways and again legislates like it respects the traditional party values.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
What I have seen for the last 16 years is that the GOP has been splintering off with most of the members turning into moderate Democrats in their actions.

Bob , Don't you mean Independents ? I sure have seen a lot of that . People of all Parties are sick and tired of both their parties doing nothing .The Independents are gaining members in their ranks because of this . Guys like Rush and Sean are helping send people to them . I try every once in a while to listen to those two idiots and just end up laughing and turning off the radio .They can twist more stuff around than a snake and quote like they actually know something . They have one agenda . To make money for themselves . Period !
They are extremist in the worst way . Stir the pot , make money . I knew Rush when he worked at a little 5000 watt radio station in Sacramento . The guy is inflated with himself . He did not last here and it was not because California is a Demo state .
Rush & Sean are two perfect examples of leeches stirring the pot for their own gain . Many poor Americans are looking to blame someone .... anyone..... but themselves , for the mess their in and Rush and Sean give it to them . These Americans do not want to think or work and would rather use some lame excuse as to why they have all their problems .
If people really want to change America , get off your ass and start reaching across the aisle to reach a working solution . And one more thing ... Start engaging your brain and think for your self . You will be amazed at the ideas that might come from that idle brain that has let someone else do the thinking for them .

Last edited by a moderator:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
It never hurts to listen but you do not have to drink the whole glass of Koolaid..............:whistling:

Just consider the source whether it is right, left, liberal or ulta conservative, then make the right decesion based on your beliefs and what you believe is best for the country. All political parties will feed you their poison it is up to you to drink or not...............:neutral:

D

darroll

Sean and Limp-Patch are the only two republicans left as all the rest slid to the middle (or elsewhere).
The RNC called and wanted money. I told them that we don’t have a republican party anymore.
I voted for McCain and I think I was the only one in our state. Somebody had better start making a new party by election time or history will repeat itself.
Will see what happens.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
He does not want you to know anything but what he tells you......bama boy that is..........

me thinks he is in over his head, and as of yet this is still a free country, I will listen to whom I want

Kwiens

Of course Obama wants everyone to quit listening to Rush Limbaugh and other conservative talk shows!!!!

No surprise here.......

K

Locutus

Banned
NOBAMA would rather have you listen to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, while he implements Jeremiah Wright's agenda.

The GOP should filibuster everything he tries to do.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Its foolish to listen to ANY of these paid-for republican ass-clowns. Its the same with any of the mouth pieces on the democrat side. They both stir up hatred, propaganda and lies.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Only if your too damn dumb to pickout the truth and reject the BS!:brows:

I agree Barnyard Bob ,but the unfortunate truth is many(most) people who listen cannot pickout the truth or separate the BS from it .

Locutus ???? Where did you ever come up with the idea that Obama was a follower of JJ or Sharpton ??? He thinks they are a joke like most folks do and seems to have tried to distance himself from them at every turn .Do you remember when Sharpton was pissed because Obama ,during the election ,was not calling on him for advice or direction ??? It made the nightly news in California and Idaho .
Can you please give me the website or exact quote from him where he said this ? It could change my opinion of him greatly .:sad:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If people really want to change America , get off your ass and start reaching across the aisle to reach a working solution .
Reaching across the aisle is the LAST THING that I want the GOP to do.

The problem I see with this solution is that it forces people to give things up that they worked for and earned. And its not just physical things like goods and money, but also freedoms.

The Obama camp is politically very far left. That is self evident.

Take 'gun control' as a topic, their "solution" is to take away the rights of gun owners in a selective way. Its on Obama's website right now. Anyone can go look. That is his way of reaching across the aisle, he wants to take peoples rights away, albeit selectively.

Take 'abortion rights' as a topic, their "solution" is to force all health care providers into offering abortion as a service. The Catholic Hospitals have stated they will close their doors before they are forced to provide an abortion. Like it or not, Catholic hospitals provide much of the health care we have in the USA, they are often the major provider in many counties across the US. Currently abortion is legal, but Obama won't leave well enough alone, he wants to expand abortion rights and that may have dire consequences. That is his way of reaching across the aisle, he wants to force his ideas down others throats.

Take 'minimum wage' as a topic, their "solution" is to mandate a minimum wage of $9.20 per hour. Employers have no exemption for new workers who need training. There is no deviation from this for the fact that we are in a recession turning depression and this will further drive unemployment up, while also driving up prices of goods. That is his way of reaching across the aisle, he wants to drive more people to government assistance. BTW, this is also on his website.

I don't think this is the change most people hope for.:hammer:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Its the white house website. I was looking at it the other day on my store computer, I think, but am not sure it is whitehouse.gov

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Reaching across the aisle is the LAST THING that I want the GOP to do.

Then I sincerely hope your prepared for 4 more years of what we have just been through for the last 8 .
Its got to start somewhere Bob . Republicans and Democrates need to ask themselves what is best for America , not whats in it for their party .
Some how I am not surprized by your statement . Thats a shame .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well Allen, what is best for America is NOT the continuation of a shift farther to the left. We've seen that for the past 16 years, Bush continued the left swing, albeit slower than Clinton. Obama will continue it too. So if you don't like where we have been going for the past 8 years then you are not going to like the next few years.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well Allen, what is best for America is NOT the continuation of a shift farther to the left. We've seen that for the past 16 years, Bush continued the left swing, albeit slower than Clinton. Obama will continue it too. So if you don't like where we have been going for the past 8 years then you are not going to like the next few years.

I guess time will tell ... And by the way Bob , I never mention the Left or Right , you did . My reaching across the aisle statement was assuming that people might be willing to meet in the middle and try to save this great nation of ours . For some with short arms its a reach they will never even try to make .

But you know what .... After thinking about it a little , Screw It ! Why should I care what happens ??? I am not caught up in bad investments nor do I need to worry about my home being foreclosed on .I owe no one anything , I worked hard , made my own way , I answer to no one now , I paid every dime of my Taxes and I own a home in another country . I'll just move there full time , sip drinks on the deck and bad mouth the U.S. every chance I get .

I have been such a dope all these years . I forgot the 1st rule of a true American ....Its all about me and what I want !!!!! Thats whats important in America now :sad:.
Would the last one leaving ...please turn out the lights :unsure:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think its compromise. What we need is compromise.
My reaching across the aisle statement was assuming that people might be willing to meet in the middle
The problem with "compromise" or "meeting in the middle" is that the extreme position sets the agenda.

Lets say you want to own two homes. Lets say I think it is wrong to own 2 homes when so many others can't afford even 1 home. Since people who own 2 homes are in the minority, and people like me who own 1 home are the majority we decide that nobody should own more than one home. We won't take away your 2nd home. But we will prevent you from buying another home, and we won't let you pass it on to your child either. We say that compromise is that you should be forced to sell your 'extra' homes and pay capital gains taxes on the sale.

Now you object but we say that you are not being reasonable. We are only asking for a reasonable level of restrictions on your home ownership because we want to spread the wealth around a bit. Forcing you to sell all your extra homes will actually lower the price of all homes making them more affordable to home shoppers who couldn't afford their first house.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
The problem with "compromise" or "meeting in the middle" is that the extreme position sets the agenda.

Thank you Bob for making my point :doh:. Since "compromise" or "meeting in the middle" does not put you in the better position ,you there fore call it extreme and automatically dismiss it as a bad idea .
You may want to look up the meaning of Compromise . It basically means no one comes out on top .

I have a old horse that is almost dead from old age . When he dies , do you want to come over and beat it with a stick for awhile ???:whistling::beatdeadhorse5:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Since "compromise" or "meeting in the middle" does not put you in the better position ,you there fore call it extreme and automatically dismiss it as a bad idea .
You may want to look up the meaning of Compromise . It basically means no one comes out on top .
Allen, if nobody come out on top then by default that means that compromises actually make things worse for society. So why would I want that type of change?

As you are totally mistaken when you say that I am not advocating a "better" position, in fact I am advocating a better position. That position is either what we have now or something that is to the "right" of where we are. But the current administration is only proposing a further move to the left. That is extreme and that makes things worse. So the compromise position may be to leave a specific law right where it is. The way our government works is that the majority party sets the agenda, the GOP (if it actually had any principles left) would and should offer amendment after amendment to dismantle what they are trying to establish. Of course, the GOP won't do that, because under both of the two Bush administrations much of the GOP agenda in social and fiscal policy was to move to the 'left' or to compromise with the 'left' thereby causing an erosion to the left. So for the past 20 years we've drifted left and undone most of the headway that Reagan made, we've seen the Democrats cause this financial meltdown (thank you Barney Frank) and now we've seen a fiasco of a bi-partisan "bailout" that has achieved NOTHING but mortgaged out grandkids into taxation hell.

No, what we need is what is right for the Country, not for the party or a "Group"...

Until that happens, not much good will....
Agreed. Thank you!

But unfortunately the agenda of the left is simply wrong on most issues.

Clearly we are in a land, one where both the Democrats and much of the GOP does not believe in the obvious.

To whit I reply with words that are very clear to me:
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
~~~~~ Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005~~~~~​
I think this nation is really going to screw itself.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Rush replies in good form:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=OTU5MjE3MmQ0NWU1Zjc1YzYyMDE1NzNmZmM2MzYxMmI=

Limbaugh Responds to Obama [Byron York]

According to an account in the New York Post, President Barack Obama yesterday told Republican leaders, "You can't just listen to Rush Limbaugh and get things done." With George W. Bush now off the stage, it may be that Obama and some of his fellow Democrats view Limbaugh, and not John Boehner, Mitch McConnell, or any other elected official, as the true leader of the Republican opposition. This morning I asked Rush for his thoughts on all this, and here is his response:
There are two things going on here. One prong of the Great Unifier's plan is to isolate elected Republicans from their voters and supporters by making the argument about me and not about his plan. He is hoping that these Republicans will also publicly denounce me and thus marginalize me. And who knows? Are ideological and philosophical ties enough to keep the GOP loyal to their voters? Meanwhile, the effort to foist all blame for this mess on the private sector continues unabated when most of the blame for this current debacle can be laid at the feet of the Congress and a couple of former presidents. And there is a strategic reason for this.
Secondly, here is a combo quote from the meeting:
"If we don't get this done we (the Democrats) could lose seats and I could lose re-election. But we can't let people like Rush Limbaugh stall this. That's how things don't get done in this town."
To make the argument about me instead of his plan makes sense from his perspective. Obama's plan would buy votes for the Democrat Party, in the same way FDR's New Deal established majority power for 50 years of Democrat rule, and it would also simultaneously seriously damage any hope of future tax cuts. It would allow a majority of American voters to guarantee no taxes for themselves going forward. It would burden the private sector and put the public sector in permanent and firm control of the economy. Put simply, I believe his stimulus is aimed at re-establishing "eternal" power for the Democrat Party rather than stimulating the economy because anyone with a brain knows this is NOT how you stimulate the economy. If I can be made to serve as a distraction, then there is that much less time debating the merits of this TRILLION dollar debacle.
Obama was angry that Merrill Lynch used $1.2 million of TARP money to remodel an executive suite. Excuse me, but didn't Merrill have to hire a decorator and contractor? Didn't they have to buy the new furnishings? What's the difference in that and Merrill loaning that money to a decorator, contractor and goods supplier to remodel Warren Buffet's office? Either way, stimulus in the private sector occurs. Are we really at the point where the bad PR of Merrill getting a redecorated office in the process is reason to smear them? How much money will the Obamas spend redecorating the White House residence? Whose money will be spent? I have no problem with the Obamas redoing the place. It is tradition. 600 private jets flown by rich Democrats flew into the Inauguration. That's fine but the auto execs using theirs is a crime? In both instances, the people on those jets arrived in Washington wanting something from Washington, not just good will.
If I can be made to serve as a distraction, then there is that much less time debating the merits of the trillion dollar debacle.

One more thing, Byron. Your publication and website have documented Obama's ties to the teachings of Saul Alinksy while he was community organizing in Chicago. Here is Rule 13 of Alinksy's Rules for Radicals:

"Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it."
01/24 03:32 PM