• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

California Restaurants Warn Natural-Gas Ban Takes Seared Steak Off the Table

Bamby

Restaurateurs have a message for local governments banning the use of natural gas in new homes and businesses: Say goodbye to good food.

The California Restaurant Association is warning that the flame-seared meat and charred vegetables that foodies have grown so accustomed to ordering will become a thing of the past in Berkeley, California, which in July became the first city in America to end new gas hook-ups in an effort to curb global-warming emissions. The group is suing the city in federal court.

Taking away a chef’s natural gas stove is akin to “taking paint away from a painter and asking them to create a masterpiece,” said Robert Phillips, a chef and chairman of the Chef De Cuisine Association of California.

It’s a battle that’s about to go national. At least a dozen other cities in California have passed similar measures, and the movement is bleeding into communities outside the Golden State. Brookline, a town outside of Boston, voted this week to block gas hookups in new buildings. Seattle has also been considering a ban. Two major utilities in New York have imposed moratoriums on new service as the state blocks pipeline projects.

For its part, the city of Berkeley says it’s confident that the gas prohibition complies with “all relevant laws” and that it will “vigorously defend” the ordinance against the lawsuit.

California’s restaurant owners say the prohibition on new structures in Berkeley would “render meaningless” much of the culinary training of some of the finest chefs. They’re also arguing that it would be “irresponsible” considering the mass blackouts that electric utility PG&E Corp. has been orchestrating to keep its power lines from sparking wildfires.

Depriving new restaurants of gas stoves may be an especially big blow for the San Francisco Bay Area, known for its diversity of Asian cuisines.

“Restaurants specializing in international foods so prized in the Bay Area will be unable to prepare many of their specialties without natural gas,” the association said. “Many of these restaurants rely on gas for cooking particular types of food, whether it be flame-seared meats, charred vegetables, or the use of intense heat from a flame under a wok.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...as-bans-threaten-seared-steak-charred-veggies

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Huh ? Propane cooks faster. Don't they have propane out there ?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
A lot of restaurants were using wood chips, charcoal and even hardwoods to cook for the flavors and "searing" of real fire. many had to give it up for NG because of anti smog ordinances. Much of California has banned such fuels in residences as well. So, the wood fires being illegal many went to NG. All in the name of clean air and good intentions.

Now, they cannot do that. Instead, like electric cars, the fuel is burned out of state to create electric power that does not do the job as well, as economically and certainly not to provide the best flavor experience.

Legislatures can change all the laws they wish. And they may enact all the laws they wish despite the ability of enforcement for compliance or the inclusion of common sense. Sadly this is the way, and the weakness, of big government run by elites.

But what they cannot change, are the laws of physics.

The NG will be burned remotely to fire generators, which will transmit the power to the restaurants on days that are not too windy. Ironically those windy days are the best source for wind energy. One cannot make this sh!t up.

Bannedjoe

Personally, I enjoy a small amount of weed now and then.
I've always been for the legalization of it, but almost everytime I read anything about Kalifornia anymore, I'm forced to wonder if maybe it wasn't such a good idea for them.
Looking at all their brilliant ideas, and the ludicrous legislation that keeps churning out of their system, a person can't help but ask, is EVERYONE on dope???

When I was a kid, my Dad tried pounding thinking ahead into my brain.
Stop, look down the road a ways.
Sure this all seems right and good at the moment, but what might the consequences be a week, a month, or a year or two from now?
Let's think this through before we take this step...

At some point, that critical thinking took hold.

I'm grateful for those series of lessons, and I just can't fathom that apparently about 90% of the people on this planet completely lack those skills, with Kalifornia leading the pack.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
Huh ? Propane cooks faster. Don't they have propane out there ?

This is about fuel presently being provided by Utility companies/local governments.
They only provide Natural gas.

Propane is provided by local, privately owned companies.

This is just step 1, which controls the PERMITS required to install new natural gas systems.

You can bet that the next step is the propane permits.

Bannedjoe

Apparently, the folks in charge don't think Kalifornians need to cook, cool, heat, or have electricity.

Let the place burn.

The fires will go out when the state breaks off and sinks into the ocean.