• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Coastal migration underway!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
With the calling up of National Guard forces in NJ and NY authorities are readying evacuation routes away from all coastal areas. The storm surge is expected to overwhelm low lying roads quickly and folks are being urged to start getting away from the area already. Long Island is expected to be largely underwater as the mean elevation is only a few feet above normal high tide and the surge could easily top 10 ft.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Put a chain across the end of your driveway Bill as they're heading our way.

Heading North or South on I-95 is out of the question as it doesn't get them out of Irene's way.

That means major evacuations head westward. I-86 towards you, I-80 towards me, I-76 towards Rusty.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They won't come this far. Bet a bunch end up in the mountains of the Poconos and north of there in NY. Philly will be inundated with people as well Allentown and Easton.

Lia

Banned
I heard that hurricane Irene is a catagory 5?

This ain't a request guys: Take care!!!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It is still less than 500 miles wide. If it reaches CAT 5 status and 500 miles we are in deep shit. It will obliterate areas along the coast and create a real crisis situation. They are already leaving the coast of NC and Virginia. Navy has already taken their fleet out to sea and flown planes inland ahead of the storm. NYC has to deal with storm surge and lots of falling glass from all the skyscrapers. Folks from Jersey north to Maine are pulling back boats and starting to move inland. Not something that happens very often that far north.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
It is still less than 500 miles wide. If it reaches CAT 5 status and 500 miles we are in deep shit. It will obliterate areas along the coast and create a real crisis situation. They are already leaving the coast of NC and Virginia. Navy has already taken their fleet out to sea and flown planes inland ahead of the storm. NYC has to deal with storm surge and lots of falling glass from all the skyscrapers. Folks from Jersey north to Maine are pulling back boats and starting to move inland. Not something that happens very often that far north.

This really is a worrisome situation...

Lia

Banned
Over here the news is that Irene is expected to reach cat 5; however, we all know how dramatic the media can be. Still, be safe. Batten down and don't take any risks guys.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup damn sure looks like it , their talking about the chances of 30 foot waves doing much more damage then the winds and rain . Sure hope Ya'll gota plan and stay safe.

Hurricane Irene is now on a path that could take it dangerously close to, if not over, the mid-Atlantic coastline and New York City on Sunday, posing a serious danger to millions of people.
Irene could be "once-in-50-year" hurricane for the Northeast.
The AccuWeather.com Hurricane Center is confident that Irene will strike the Outer Banks of North Carolina Saturday evening as a strong Category 3 or Category 4 hurricane.
Beyond that point, latest indications put Irene on a path extremely close to or over the mid-Atlantic coast and New York City before plowing into western New England. This could mean the worst effects from a hurricane in the region in 50 years.
Irene is expected to track near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and Delmarva coast Saturday night, then could pass within 30 miles of New York City Sunday evening as a weakening Category 2 hurricane.
Such a path would lead to severe impacts that could prompt officials to force evacuations. All residents and visitors in the path of Irene should heed these orders if issued and prepare homes and businesses for Irene's onslaught in the meantime.

AccuTeam Irene is reporting live from Atlantic Beach, N.C.
Strong Winds, Coastal Impacts Along and East of Irene's Eye
On its current forecast path, Irene would spread destructive hurricane-force winds (gusts between 80 to 100 mph) across the Delmarva coast, eastern New Jersey, New York City, western Long Island and southwestern New England.
A track directly over Atlantic City, N.J., and New York City would bring these intense winds westward to Philadelphia.
The strongest and most sustained hurricane-force winds will be measured in the immediate vicinity of Irene's center.
Widespread tree damage, major power outages and structural damage to buildings and homes would ensue. Glass windows could shatter along the sides of New York City skyscrapers.
300x200_08251613_irenesseverity.jpg

Prevent Hurricane Damage to Your Home

Keep Your Pets Safe During a Hurricane: Have a Plan
Damaging tropical storm-force winds (winds between 40 and 70 mph) will extend 150 miles westward and nearly 250 miles eastward from Irene's center.
These winds will likely reach Richmond, Va., Baltimore, Md., Philadelphia, Pa., Albany, N.Y., and nearly all of New England, threatening to cause significant tree damage and power outages.
The winds will have no trouble downing trees where recent flooding and record rainfall has saturated the ground in areas such as Philadelphia and New York City.
300x200_08251614_825irenecoastal.jpg

Irene will also cause extremely rough surf to pound the entire mid-Atlantic and New England coastline with severe beach erosion and significant coastal flooding an almost certain guarantee.
A flooding storm surge will further inundate the coastline.
Yachts and boats docked along the mid-Atlantic and New England coasts should be moved to higher ground if possible.
The worst case scenario in terms of flooding storm surge for New York City and the mid-Atlantic coast would be Irene tracking directly overhead or slightly to the west.
Serious Flooding Rain From Irene's Center Westward
Places along and west of the center will be subject to Irene's heaviest rain.
The current path of Irene puts places from eastern North Carolina to eastern Pennsylvania, eastern New York and western New England at risk to receive 4 to 8 inches of rainfall with locally higher totals.
That rain alone will trigger widespread flooding issues, but AccuWeather.com is extremely concerned for serious flood problems where recent heavy rain has already saturated the ground.
The drainage systems in Philadelphia and New York City are sure to get overwhelmed.
300x200_08251615_irenerain.jpg

Track Not Set in Stone
"Since a small jog to the west or east would lead to a huge difference in impacts, [AccuWeather.com meteorologists] suggest monitoring this situation closely," cautioned AccuWeather.com Hurricane and Tropical Weather Expert Meteorologist Dan Kottlowski to all residents and visitors in the mid-Atlantic and New England.
If Irene tracks more to the west than currently expected, more of the mid-Atlantic and New York State will be subject to its severe impacts.
It is not totally out of the question that Irene tracks farther eastward than currently forecast. Such a track would shift the zone of flooding rain farther eastward and cause eastern New England to endure the brunt of Irene's destructive winds and coastal flooding.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/54098/hurricane-irene-to-slam-into-t.asp

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They don't think it will get that strong now. It is expected to take a more inland course so that will lower the wind force but drive the hard rain father inland. It is expected to track up through NJ and straight to NYC. The are warning folks that the dunes on Long Island will be topped by storm surge and to evacuate. That has not happened in many years. The rain will cause major flooding as many of those areas are still getting over flooding from10 days ago. Trees will be knocked down and power failures will be major problem.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
There is also a good chance it will stay at sea and the eye will head east. But the rains even from the edge of the storm will be substantial.

Take care guys, looting to follow just like Katrina.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They recorded a 146 MPH wind gust in the Bahamas and it has obliterated some towns there. Depending on which side of the islands it caused major damage before moving north. Forecast is it will strengthen to a Cat 4 before hitting the Carolina coast and then weaken a bit as it moves north over the Delmarva peninsula to Jersey. Mandatory evacuations have begun in some areas of the Carolinas.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
There is also a good chance it will stay at sea and the eye will head east. But the rains even from the edge of the storm will be substantial.

Take care guys, looting to follow just like Katrina.
That will be the reason many folks won't want to leave their homes and businesses. Folks will lose their lives because of it. Long Island and Jersey expect storm surges to be higher than has been seen in 60 years. The damage from this storm will overwhelm Fema and bring about a form of martial law. Would not want to be in an environment where you had to risk your life to defend your property against looters.:hammer:

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife just asked if I brought the chainsaw home from the mountains?

I said no I forgot it and if it is that bad the dirt roads will be washed out like last time we had a hurricane and I'll need a bulldozer to get to the cabin, then she politely reminded me the generators are up there too:ermm:.
Oh well I hope we don't loose any power or I will be bailing the sump pump pit by bucket.:sad:

tom

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
That will be the reason many folks won't want to leave their homes and businesses. Folks will lose their lives because of it. Long Island and Jersey expect storm surges to be higher than has been seen in 60 years. The damage from this storm will overwhelm Fema and bring about a form of martial law. Would not want to be in an environment where you had to risk your life to defend your property against looters.:hammer:

Nope, not suggesting anyone stay, in case nothing happens, it is much safer to err on the side of safety and leave.

The looting, if anything like Katrina, will though, be substantial by those that don't leave and survive.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Ocean City, Maryland, Mayor Richard Meeham announced a mandatory evacuation beginning at midnight, CNN affiliate WUSA reported.

One resident was hopeful that Irene would pass close by.
"Dear Irene, please bring rain. Thank you," read a handwritten sign on a mailbox in the Hampton Roads, Virginia, region, where residents are being affected by smoke from a stubborn wildfire that has been burning in the Dismal Swamp.
"Hurricane Irene may be the only way to get enough rainfall to assist the firefighters and put this relentless fire out," said Penelope Penn

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/americas/08/25/tropical.weather/index.html

Folks, as Foggy said, get the hell out.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Seven states have now issued emergency declarations ahead of the storm. They are calling for 10ft. storm surges from NC all the way to NYC. Lot of folks had better get a head start on leaving as the roads can never handle the traffic and everybody will be towing their boats and campers from the shore.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
East Coast prepares for historic Hurricane Irene

By Martha T. Moore, USA TODAY

Updated 36m ago

Wide, powerful, and slow-moving, Hurricane Irene is expected to crash ashore in North Carolina on Saturday with winds of 115 miles per hour, and millions of people along the Eastern Seaboard are bracing for what could be a historic storm.

If Irene stays on course straight up the East Coast, it would be the first hurricane to hit New York City directly since 1903 and could force the evacuation of 250,000 residents there.
Irene's tropical-force winds extend almost twice as far as normal and are about the same size as Katrina, which devastated New Orleans in 2005. Craig Fugate, head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said Irene will cut a wide swath of winds and flooding as a result. "This will not just be a coastal storm," he said.
In beach towns up and down the East Coast, summer fun turned to forced retreat. Thousands of visitors to the North Carolina Outer Banks, Ocean City, Md., and Cape May, N.J. were ordered to evacuate. On Fire Island, off New York, ferries began voluntary evacuations that officials said would likely become mandatory today.
Warnings about Irene's threat were increasingly dire as elected officials tried to motivate residents of flood-prone areas to prepare and, if necessary, get out. "You have to plan for the real deal here on Sunday,'' said Steve Levy, Suffolk County executive on eastern Long Island.
New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina declared states of emergency. "Anyone planning to go to the shore this weekend — do not go,'' New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said.
Irene will be the Northeast's second rare natural event in a week, after the Virginia earthquake that struck Tuesday. The last Category 2 hurricane to hit the region was Hurricane Gloria in 1985. A Category 3 hurricane hasn't been through since the 1938 "Long Island Express'' that killed 700 people in New York and New England, the latter of which hasn't had a hurricane since Bob in 1991.
"The citizenry is our concern,'' said Peter Judge of the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency. "They either have never been through a hurricane or they've got hurricane amnesia."
Worsening the situation: Recent rains have soaked the ground and filled reservoirs, reducing their ability to absorb hurricane flooding and rains. In New Jersey and New York, officials pressed for the authority to release water from reservoirs in advance of the storm to improve their capacity.
In New York City, Mayor Michael Bloomberg ordered evacuations of nursing homes and hospitals in flood-prone areas and said all residents of those areas — a quarter million people — might be ordered to evacuate early Saturday. Subways and trains will stop running Saturday if winds reach 40 miles per hour.
If the storm hits the urban Northeast, officials said they expect, and dread, power outages. After Hurricane Gloria in 1985, some Long Island residents were without power for up to eight days. "If the electric stays on, our job is much much easier," Levy said. "If that electric grid goes down, then it becomes a much more difficult situation, along the lines of what we saw in Gloria, and God knows we don't want a repeat of that.''
Irene already is disrupting plans for tens of thousands of travelers. More than 200 flights have already been cancelled, and the storm likely will force hundreds of flights to be cancelled through the weekend and create delays that could ripple across the USA. Most of the major airlines have waived penalties for rebooking flights to affected cities.
Lisa Sorice of Brick Township, N.J., wheeled two cases of bottled water in her cart Thursday afternoon at Walmart . Batteries for her flashlights were next on the list.
"I figured I'd get ready now,'' said Sorice, who has lived in the area for 12 years. "I am thinking this one's going to be a lot worse than the rest of them if it does hit here. I'm afraid actually, this time, than I was of ones in the past."

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well Mule your lights weren't on when we went by :yum:

We left for the mountains 7:00 last night to get generators and flue and other necessities 450 mile round trip plus loading in 8 1/2 hrs boy I am tired.
The wifey poo did drive on the way up for about 2 hrs and I took a nap.
We got home and went to sleep.
the little grand rugrats and I just unloaded every thing and I am going to fuel all the vehicles up.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey, my lights are always on. I left this morning to drive to York and back. Just got in after 467 miles and have the Prius loaded all to hell with stuff we can't get up here. Made good time on the way down this morning. I was following my neighbor from Mansfield to I-80 and he never got much below 80 the whole way.:whistling:

Lia

Banned
I was following my neighbor from Mansfield to I-80 and he never got much below 80 the whole way.:whistling:

lol. Ain't it a bitch when you're doing 80 and some twerp in front (in a car that could match Jenson Buttons), is doing 40? Over here they are gonna make that a road traffic act, which will bring a charge of driving without due consideration for other road users. They will incur fines and penalty points on their licence in line with speeding penalties and convictions.

And it can't come ruddy soon enuff for me... I'm a careful driver, but a confident driver. In my opinion if one is cautious to the point of being a danger to others then they shouldn't be on the road, in control of a vehicle of an average of one and a quarter ton. Dammit!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
This little run of about 65 miles was down through the mountains and valleys. It is nice since they have made it interstate and raised the limits to 65 on most of the route. Sure beats the old roads that were always having fatalities and were a real mess in the winter time. Snow makes that ride a real challenge at times.