• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

7 Die in School Shooting in Finland

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
While I don't like to use other's misfortune as a debating tool, I feel this story is relevant in the ongoing gun control debate.

I believe several international members have implied that the US gun control laws and social policies are the cause for school shootings in the US.

Here's another example that trajedy can happen anywhere:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071107/D8SOU3J00.html

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]7 Die in School Shooting in Finland[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-Serif][/FONT]

Nov 7, 11:01 AM (ET)

By MARIUS TURULA

TUUSULA, Finland (AP) - At least seven people were killed Wednesday after an 18-year-old man opened fire at a high school in southern Finland, a medical official said.

"It's at least seven dead," medical response leader Eero Hirvensalo told The Associated Press. Another person was "severely injured," while 10 other people had minor injuries, Hirvensalo said.

A municipal official said earlier that some students remained inside the school. Police said the situation was "under control," indicating they were not being held hostage.

It was the first known school shooting in Finland, where gun ownership is fairly common by European standards, but shootings are rare.

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif](AP) Armed police officers stand guard a temporary crisis center in the church of Jokela after a...
Full Image
[/FONT]THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

HELSINKI, Finland (AP) - A teenager opened fire at a high school in southern Finland on Wednesday, killing one person and wounding three others before the building was surrounded by police, a municipal official said.

The officials said some students remained inside the school but police said the situation was "under control," indicating they were not being held hostage.
Heidi Hagman, assistant to the municipality director in Tuusula, some 30 miles north of the capital, Helsinki, told The Associated Press that the Jokela high school had been surrounded after an 18-year-old man shot four people and killed one.

It was the first known school shooting in Finland, where gun ownership is fairly common by European standards, but shootings are rare.
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif](AP) An armed police officer approaches a vehicle near the Jokela high school in Tuusula, Finland,...
Full Image
[/FONT]"Some of the pupils have managed to escape from the school but others are still inside," Hagman said.

She said more than 400 students between the ages of 12 and 18 were enrolled.

"The situation is under control," said police spokesman Tero Haapala, adding that "there is no danger to outsiders now."

Police did not confirm that someone had been killed.

Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen described the situation as "extremely tragic" and said the government would hold an emergency meeting.
Kim Kiuru, a teacher at the school, said the principal announced over the public address system just before noon that all students should remain in their class rooms.

"I stayed in the corridor to listen to more instructions, having locked my classroom door," Kiuru told the YLE radio station. "After that I saw the gunman running with what appeared to be a small-caliber handgun in his hand through the doors towards me, after which I escaped to the corridor downstairs and ran in the opposite direction."

Kiuru said he saw a woman's body as he fled the building. "Then my pupils shouted at me out of the windows to ask what they should do and I told them to jump out of the windows, which were at a level of 1 1/2 floors, and all my pupils were saved," Kiuru said.

It will be interesting to see what the political fall out of this trajedy will be.

My condolences to the families of the victims.

PB

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
While I don't like to use other's misfortune as a debating tool, I feel this story is relevant in the ongoing gun control debate.

I believe several international members have implied that the US gun control laws and social policies are the cause for school shootings in the US. . . .
Perhaps it is our gun laws. But honestly I believe it is our culture and the frustration that some within our culture face. Look at the shooters and mass murderers (of all types) in our society. Overwhelmingly they are crazy white men or young crazy white men.

I can only hope that the societal ills that spawn this problem here in the US are not being adopted by other nations/cultures.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Perhaps it is our gun laws. But honestly I believe it is our culture and the frustration that some within our culture face. Look at the shooters and mass murderers (of all types) in our society. Overwhelmingly they are crazy white men or young crazy white men.

I can only hope that the societal ills that spawn this problem here in the US are not being adopted by other nations/cultures.

I don't believe it is our gun laws at all - I think that is a red herring in the bigger issue.

I think it has more to do with our culture and the demographics of the US. There are a lot more people in the US living in much denser environments.

These type of shootings have happened several times in Canada and I'm sure they have happened in other countries as well.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Overwhelmingly they are crazy white men or young crazy white men.

Interesting observation Bob . I never even thought about that . I wonder why .
Which makes me ask : Do Black men or White men kill more often in violent situations ??

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Which makes me ask : Do Black men or White men kill more often in violent situations ??

I think serial killers are overwhelmingly white men (Dahmer, Son of Sam, etc.). Personally, I can't think of a single non-white serial killer.

I think this thread is more regarding spree killers, and the first non-white one I can think of is the Virginia Tech killer last year (Asian man).

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Blacks are more likely to be violent and commit crimes, at least as a % of the respective populations.

However, when it comes to serial killings and or mass murders in the western world, as Dave points out, white are overwhelmingly the leaders. Cho in Virginia was Korean. There have been a few hispanics. The odd case was the 'Washington DC Sniper' case which turned out to be a team of 2 black men. There are some cases of women serial killers (again mostly white).

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Marc Lepine was half Algerian and born Gamil Gharbi so he's only half crazy white guy.

Phew! Thanks for the info! Never knew where he originated from. My whole family has been worried about this for years seing that he may have been related to this guy through my moms side of the family.(same last name) My grandfather was originally from the same area where this masacre occured. We've checked and rechecked to be certain that there was no relation.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Phew! Thanks for the info! Never knew where he originated from. My whole family has been worried about this for years seing that he may have been related to this guy through my moms side of the family.(same last name) My grandfather was originally from the same area where this masacre occured. We've checked and rechecked to be certain that there was no relation.

Brian your still a half crazy white guy! :respect: So there's no hope for you!

Interesting how the Canadian media never mentions the muslim connection when they talk about that incident. It ruins their anti-gun pro-muslim agenda.

daedong

Sadly these things can happen anywhere.
But the less guns in society the less chance of it happening.
No further debate from me in this thread.