• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

drove by a couple yesterday

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I went to visit a fellow "LINN" collector yesterday,and afterward in my meandering around came across these to machines,a Frandee model D and a 1972 1642 tucker. Neither were for sale !!:neutral:

original.jpg

the tucker roller in the background used to be pulled by a 420 tucker torpedo!

original.jpg

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Any idea what the serial number is for the Frandee? If by chance you have the contact information for the owner I would be happy to share the information I have collected while restoring mine.

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like the Frandee is one of the later Model D's based on the front differential. It looks like this is the heavier 1 ton GM axle, the early model D's had a Ford axle which they had problems with gear breakage. The engine appears to be original, it is the Ford 254 industrial flathead straight 6, probably a 1950 model, which is what mine is. You can see the gas tank, it is from a Chevrolet pickup from 47/48, two years that they made the under bed tank. At one time this unit had the ski, there is still the mount above the windshield and you can see remnants of the front pivot as well as the small shield on the cowling below the windshield an the driver side. This is kind of exciting for a Frandee guy, not many out there. Thanks for sharing the photo!

Attachments

• DSC_0426.jpg
    DSC_0426.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 468

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
GMoose, i had no idea where to look for a serial number!! I dont know if the track parts were still around or not,didnt see any , the machine had been moved from where it sat for years.I told the owners son a bit about them and about your restored one.I dont believe very many came east.The owner is actually restoring one of Vermonts lost ski areas,High Pond Ski are in Brandon Vt. They are doing a beautiful job and have the T-bar rebuilt along with outbuildings. Here are a few more photos.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the history lesson loggah. Good job High Pond Ski, love it when passions take form. Did you get the BS mess kit?

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
The serial number would have been on a brass plate mounted to the dash just under where the steering shaft went through (just in front of the left brake lever). Looks like the plate is missing, however I do not see any holes where it was riveted on either, maybe they put it in a different location.

My Frandee is S/N 37, S/N 36 is in Nevada, and S/N 35 is in Minnesota. I believe the first model E was either S/N 38 or 39 (it appears they did not start over at 1 with each model). So based on this my 37 is either the last or second to last model D. This Frandee you found looks identical to mine. S/N 36 looks identical to mine also, however S/N 35 has a different door arraignment on the rear and looks like it may have a slightly longer cab. It has also been repowered with a newer style engine. Possibly this one you found is S/N 38, which I believe would be the last model D.

Here is S/N 35:

20412-MMS-1515984500302-attachment1-Screenshot9520180114-203801.jpg

20414-MMS-1515984585005-attachment1-Screenshot9520180114-203838.jpg

Here is S/N 36:
shu3.jpg
DSCN1173.jpg

Here is S/N 37:

Attachments

• DSCN3730.jpg
    DSCN3730.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 449

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Here is what the brass S/N plate looks like (while standing on your head):

IMG_20180903_101353031.jpg

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Does anyone know anything about this Frandee, I found a photo on the internet a few years ago but this is all I have. Would love to know where it is and what S/N it is.

Attachments

• abc2_12.JPG
    abc2_12.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 432
  • b3a2_12.JPG
    b3a2_12.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 435

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
GMoose ,you have really been busy in your frandee searching and accumulation of knowledge!!!:thumbup: Topwelder, there were 5 linn parts tractors ,and im working on getting a few of them,not readyto spill the beans yet !!!:wink: Scott not sure on the BS messkit, I keep finding plenty of B.S. !!!!!:th_lmao:

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Here is the Frandee from Colorado that Aaron Tucker sent photos of. I do not know the serial number of this one either and am not sure if it is a model D or E.

Okay, I will shut up now, I am probably boring everyone with my Frandee love affair.

Attachments

• IMG_20180206_100032_004.jpg
    IMG_20180206_100032_004.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 446

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Not boring me!i think Frandees are a pretty historical snow vehicle,and i did work on plenty of Thiokols back in the day ! i like the steam hoist in the background,also the chevy -GMC truck.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don, too lazy to go thread hunting this morning, but did you ever make it back to dig those old tracks out of the ground?

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, great Frandee thread. Maybe there should be a Frandee sticky thread for a place to keep all the historical info?? Anyone know how Bud Nikson is doing with his? I think he only hangs out on instagram now.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I did go dig up the track section,it was only about 7' long ,but still had some good bearings and links. Some time you never know what you will dig up!

nikos

GMoose; Here is what the brass S/N plate looks like (while standing on your head)

Nikos

Attachments

• IMG_20180903_101353031.jpg
    IMG_20180903_101353031.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 353

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Here is what not to do with your Frandee. Be careful with that side hilling.

Attachments

• 7703364_orig.jpg
    7703364_orig.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 354

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm liking the Frandee talk... slowly getting mine lined up for more work as well.
Seems like it might be ready for this winter season...

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, thanks for posting that. Those old Frandees just keep popping up. If anyone knows who bought it let them know about me, I can provide a lot of information for them if they want it.

olympicorange

I went to visit a fellow "LINN" collector yesterday,and afterward in my meandering around came across these to machines,a Frandee model D and a 1972 1642 tucker. Neither were for sale !!:neutral:

original.jpg

original.jpg

hello don, still looks pretty good for all these years. this was the first one I was involved with, with the club. 25 yrs. ago. total strip down. new everything. I found it a few yrs. ago, tried to get it back to the club. but the owner doesnt want to sell....

Attachments

• aug.sept.oct2018 208.jpg
    aug.sept.oct2018 208.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 224
  • aug.sept.oct2018 207.jpg
    aug.sept.oct2018 207.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 217
  • aug.sept.oct2018 730.jpg
    aug.sept.oct2018 730.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 217
  • aug.sept.oct2018 727.jpg
    aug.sept.oct2018 727.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 218
  • aug.sept.oct2018 725.jpg
    aug.sept.oct2018 725.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 217
  • aug.sept.oct2018 206.jpg
    aug.sept.oct2018 206.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 209
  • aug.sept.oct2018 198.jpg
    aug.sept.oct2018 198.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 213
  • aug.sept.oct2018 205.jpg
    aug.sept.oct2018 205.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 220

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Bruce, It still does look pretty good,It did need a new clutch when i looked t it. The owner isn't to mechanical and had no idea how to replace it.I told him about Get-sno. Don

olympicorange

original.jpg

original.jpg

Bruce, It still does look pretty good,It did need a new clutch when i looked t it. The owner isn't to mechanical and had no idea how to replace it.I told him about Get-sno. Don

don, that could've been from sitting so long, or his dad & buddies. he said they break it each time they use it. you spoke to the guy in the house there...