• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The continuing saga of Niksons 1402 IMP sn 129

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Nik.
You will be at the top of my list when the time comes. Right now you would have to take on my wife over it, which is a task I would wish on no mortal man. Initially she was somewhat skeptical of the snow cat idea, and the cost involved, but now she is totally on board. That is mostly due to the way you did the rebuild. Now, what the snow cat needs, it gets. Storage container? Do it. Back up camera? Git er done.
This machine has changed the winter trips to our cabin from a stressful, uncertain ordeal to a comfortable, reliable and safe journey. Even our cats like it. The way the last couple of winters have been, we would not have been able to do it with snowmobiles. I consider it my good fortune to have been able to buy it from you. Hard to believe that was 6 years ago. I've logged about 150 miles and 50+ hours in it so far.
With all of the experience you have now, you could build a SUPERCAT that could take your whole family winter camping.
I would still rather have this cat than a side-by-side with tracks. It just seems like a more sustantial vehicle and will carry whatever you can cram into it. Too bad no one makes these anymore.

Yes, and yes., and yes... but if time ever comes - please know both (you and her) that I would like to be offered an opportunity.

p.s. SuperCat is in process, just might be calling that as I've thought of the same name as well...

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks KT3. We had a good trip to the cabin last weekend. There is about 2 feet of snow up there now. More than we have had for many years. The cat did great! Temps had been down to single digits but were mid teens to mid 20's while we were there. Just right.
Snowmobiling conditions were as good as it gets. I went out with a 20 something friend (I'm 66) Big mistake. I tried to keep up with him and about ripped my new hip out of its socket when my foot slipped off the running board in a steep turn.. Still limping.
My wife and I are getting to where we prefer to take the snowcat when going to friends cabins or sightseeing than the snowmobiles. Slower, but way more comfortable.
We had this very weird snow snake hanging off the deck rail when we got there. I have never seen anything like it before. One of our friends had one too. Conditions must have been just right for something like that to occur. There was about 4 feet of snow that slid off the roof on the deck. As we warmed up the cabin, you could hear it creaking and groaning for a few hours as it slid off the roof like a glacier.
We tried to use the groomer we bought 2 years ago but haven't had enough snow to use it till this year. Got it all hooked up and found the linear actuator that lifts the front would stall and not lift it. So much for that. I brought the actuator home and found the front bearing on the motor was loose radially in its retainer. Fixed that, cleaned up the armature, put in new brush springs and cleaned the corrosion off the thermal overload on the brush holder. I tested it with a little 10 amp battery and it lifted the front of our car so it should be ok now.

Attachments

• 20190224_125016.jpg
    20190224_125016.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 407
  • 20190224_121253.jpg
    20190224_121253.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 407
  • 20190222_141429.jpg
    20190222_141429.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 404
  • DSCF1983.jpg
    DSCF1983.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 401
  • 20190225_084831.jpg
    20190225_084831.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 409
  • 20190225_084922.jpg
    20190225_084922.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 398
  • DSCF1606.jpg
    DSCF1606.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 396

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like you'll have enough snow to give that another try this season. Maybe June? :thumbup:

mlang2005

You got the wife plumbed into that headset? I’d turn the volume all the way down and let the rocking snowcat nod my head in agreement.:rock:

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Made a trip to the cabin for the weekend. The snow has really melted since last month. Temps are mid 40's. We tried to drive the Tahoe all the way up but had to turn around with a half mile to go. Went back down and got the cat. 2 miles on gravel with the last half mile in deep soft slushy snow with ice underneath. Our driveway still has over a foot but the woods and hillsides are mostly bare. This is the 4th time we've used the cat this season.
I had taken the lift actuator off the groomer on the last trip because it was stalling out before it would raise the groomer. I fixed it at home and brought it up to test today and it worked fine. Except now there's no snow to groom. Maybe next year. We've had it 3 years now and haven't been able to use it yet. I think if I tried to use it in this sloppy stuff I would just have a big mess.

Attachments

• 20190322_135105_resized(1).jpg
    20190322_135105_resized(1).jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 321

luvthemvws

Hey, how much travel does that linear actuator have?
How much time does it take to go from limit to limit?
Thanks for your input!

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
It has 6 inches of travel and takes about 10 seconds. The rated force is 500 lbs. It has an internal auto resetting thermal overload to prevent motor burnout in case of stall and at the travel limits to eliminate the need for limit switches.

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
We brought the cat home for annual maintenance this week. I installed the new Kevlar clutch in 2016 along with John Deere Hygard oil. At the first oil change last year, I had some steel fuzz on the magnetic plug and some bronze flakes (from the throwout bearing) settled out in the drain pan. The whole clutch assembly was new in 2016 so I attribute the debris to break in. This year, there was no steel and just a few flakes. The oil was the same color and smell as new. So that's good news.

Other than that just checking for leaks (none found) corrosion control (never ends), tire pressure, lubrication etc. It should be ready to go back to Ellensburg by Labor day.

I also rebuilt the tongue for the groomer so I could get the back door of the cat open with the groomer hooked up.

Attachments

• DSCF2059.jpg
    DSCF2059.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCF2058.jpg
    DSCF2058.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 239

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Vr would probably be somewhere around falling out of the back of a C-130 speed.
The wings are for my 80% T6A Texan ll project. It is 25' long, 27' span 1500 lb gross, with a 160 ESHP T62-T2A1-32 turboprop. I hope to get back to work on it when I get the cat out of the hangar.
The whole thing is scratch built so it is slow going.

Attachments

• DSCF2010.jpg
    DSCF2010.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCF2028.jpg
    DSCF2028.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCF0012.jpg
    DSCF0012.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCF2234.jpg
    DSCF2234.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 240

PJL

Very cool project, thanks for sharing. Been awhile since I worked with Clecos. I didn't build a complete airplane though.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I saw this dash on the interweb a while ago, and thought of you. (and then notices the poopy wiring job on the sound box)

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 402

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
He must have 3 instruments for every cylinder. I don't think a C-130 has that many, and it has 4 engines!

AbelLMTV

I read this entire thread and it really made my Sunday morning. Thanks for keeping the snowcat community up to date on your findings and modifications.

It is refreshing to see meticulous work in a day and age where "instant gratification" seems to be the norm. Do it right the first time (or at least try to) and the end result is always better....

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the kind words. I can hardly believe this will be our 7th season.
No snow at the cabin yet but we are hoping.
I owe a lot of my success to the information and advice that was available on the forum.
If you haven't read it already, this is the link to the thread that the previous owner did when he restored it. Seeing his workmanship on the forum was what convinced me to buy it.

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=58427

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
The only thing I did to it this summer besides routine maintenance was I added an outside thermometer. I think I got it on ebay for 6 bucks.
I mounted the probe under the search light away from the body.
Nice to know what the temp is outside when you are toasty warm inside.

Attachments

• DSCF2062.jpg
    DSCF2062.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCF2061.jpg
    DSCF2061.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 275

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
It has been another meager snow year in the eastern Washington Cascades. We were able to drive the Tahoe up right after Christmas through new years, and it hasn't been any better since. All of the cabin owners have been able to drive up in their trucks and SUVs all season. Even those much higher than me. I haven't been to the cabin since 2 January. It seems that some weird little bacteria found a way into my lungs and gave me pneumonia. Got a ride in an ambulance which is nothing but a rough riding 1 ton TRUCK and I had to PEE. Spent 5 days in the hospital on an IV and have only been home since the 14th. (What a way to spend Valentines day.) I have only been able to work in the hangar the last couple of days (when the BOSS lets me).
Unless there is a big snow soon my cat may just have to sit in the cathouse all year. We hope to go over about the 20th of March. Hopefully we can salvage something from this winter.
:letitsnow:

Attachments

• 20191231_152405.jpg
    20191231_152405.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 215

Solrus

I brought the cat home to Silverdale on 5 July for summer maintenance and inspection. Somewhere between Ellensburg and home the passenger door came open and being a suicide door slammed into the side of the rear cab. I had installed rubber bumpers on both sides, after having had the same problem two years ago when the door opened on the freeway and broke the tempered safety glass in the rear cab side window. But it hit the bumper so hard it flexed the door and broke the safety plate glass. :sad: It's always something.

Everything else looked good on inspection. No safety or reliability issues. Just cosmetics and corrosion control.

The new glass is on order. I decided to rebuild both doors since I have to tear one apart anyway. I will try to figure out why the latch won't hold it closed. I had also been thinking about putting bigger windows in the side of the rear cab for better passenger visibility. So I ordered two of those while at the glass place. What started as a small repair job is now a major project. I'll cover that in the next post.

While I had it apart I installed the back up camera I bought last winter. it was pretty easy. I got a wired unit that just has a camera about the size of a walnut, and a 4.3 inch monitor. The cable length is about 16 feet total. it has a 4 pin micro plug on each end and a ground and hot lead. I wired it to the instrument circuit so it is on all the time.

The camera is mounted on the bottom of the hitch cross member. the wire runs up the left side of the tunnel, under the dash board, up the left side of the windshield to the space above the windshield centered on the drivers side. I don't know how, but the wire was not an inch too short or an inch too long. It was just right.:biggrin: Goldilocks!
I made my own mount for the screen. The supplied arm is fairly long and had a small base. I wanted to mount the screen close to the head liner over the windshield with Velcro that will stick to the interior carpet soundproofing/insulation. That way I don't have to drill any holes.
There are distance bars on the screen. The red bars start at about 2 feet from the back bumper.
I kind of had to put the camera on the back of the chassis because the rear cab is removable. A cat with a permanent rear cab would be able to put the camera higher. I think the low mounting will be ok. It is fairly well protected. I'll find out this winter.
When I was transporting my Centaur with the same style of doors, I always parked backward for the same reason. Later got 8x16 enclosed trailer and installed diesel heater and by the time Im home some snow is melted.

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Mine sits in a 20' container at the bottom of the mountain. I put a turbine ventilator on the container and vents on the doors so the moisture from melted snow is able to dry out. A covered trailer would sure be nice. I never thought about the doors blowing open when I was hauling it. The door clamps seem to do the trick now.

jo5

Mine sits in a 20' container at the bottom of the mountain. I put a turbine ventilator on the container and vents on the doors so the moisture from melted snow is able to dry out. A covered trailer would sure be nice. I never thought about the doors blowing open when I was hauling it. The door clamps seem to do the trick now.
I’ve used keyed alike garage door tee handles on mine can also get L handle with same key
Bungee work good on the doors
glad your getting it fixed

BearGap

GOLD Site Supporter
I know you could make this work.

Attachments

• ECD40039-1A9D-456F-A7C4-AFEDE1553CD4.jpeg
    ECD40039-1A9D-456F-A7C4-AFEDE1553CD4.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 136

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
My wife would love that on the back door of the cat. I have a stool I have to put out for her.

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
The last time we made it was new years for 4 days. We used the cat but there wasn't a lot of snow at the cabin. Lots of ice on the road though. Tried to go snowmobiling but ended up getting stuck 3 times on Reecer road, then my sled quit completely and had to get towed back. Got the parts that I hope will fix it but we haven't been able to get back up. Then I got a covid shot which made me sick almost exactly 3 days after I got it. (Supposed to get the second one on the 26th. Can't wait.) I got rear ended sitting at a stop light in town TWICE, two weeks apart in 2 different cars. What are the odds of that? Just got the second car out of the shop on Thursday. Then it was so cold up there (4 deg) we decided to pass. At that temperature it just takes too long to get the cabin warmed up. Valentines weekend we had snow here which messed up our roads and Snoqualmie pass has been closed a lot for a week. I have a disabled son who requires a lot of attention and we are moving him to a new facility on the 27th.
As Gilda Radner used to say "Its always something!" With that string of luck it's probably better we didn't go.
All was not lost as I did get some work done on my plane.
So... Hopefully the first weekend of March we'll make it.
There has been a ton of snow at our place the last couple weeks. We have friends up the road who are living off the grid full time now and give us the condition report. Maybe we can salvage some of this winter yet.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Funny how how life likes to kick you in the balls, and then snickers and kicks a second and third time just to make sure you're awake & feeling it! Heading to our camp in the Adirondacks is similar. If we aren't going for 4 days in the winter it just isn't worth it. Too much gear to pack in and a day of getting the cabin up to a livable temperature. After that it's fine, but I'm not doing weekend trips anymore! Just keep fighting to get up there and snap lots of pics!

PJL

At this very moment all 3 of Washington State's Cascade passes are closed due to heavy snow and extreme avalanche conditions.

Snoqualmie had 48 inches in 3 days. I had mine out recently and had to turn around as it was too deep. Our heavy snow here isn't light and fluffy. A shovel full weighs like 50 lbs. It's feast or famine.

Here is a screenshot of our avalanche forecast. Black is the very worst. Black means stay home.

Attachments

• IMG_4626.PNG
    IMG_4626.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 125

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I haven't seen it like that in a long time. This winter started out looking lean. It must be bad if your cat had to turn around.
I did get quite a bit done on the center section of my T6A. Got all the hydraulic lines and linkage in. The gear is functional with the gear doors and retractable led landing light. I have to disassemble it and chromate everthing, then it can be riveted and skinned. This was the most difficult geometry problem I ever did. Very small variations in linkage length and it won't work. Getting it all crammed into the wing was a challenge. I could never be an aeronautical engineer. I'm so slow I'd get fired.
You tube video
Without rivets and skins its a little flimsy looking. I tested it with air but it will be slower with hydraulics.

Attachments

• 20210211_164315.jpg
    20210211_164315.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 151
  • 20210208_150315.jpg
    20210208_150315.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 149
  • 20210208_150401.jpg
    20210208_150401.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 147
Last edited:

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Finally made it over to the cabin. Our last time here was Sep. 6. I was down sick for most of October. So now I have ton of winter prep to do in a short time.
Went down to the container to check on the cat and it had an almost dead battery. Enough to engage the starter gear but not enough to crank it. It has an Optima yellow top battery that Nik put in when he restored it. That was in 2012. Just doesn't seem that long ago. I may have been able to recharge it but once a battery has gone dead I don't trust them. Especially in a vehicle like a snowcat.
With it in the container it is real hard to get to the battery so I pulled the cat out with my truck. Went down to OReilly in Ellensburg to get a new one.
$338!! 😳🤑 I knew they were pricey but jeez!
It started right up. Checked it over and aired up a few tires so its good to go.
I'm going to look for a solar battery maintainer to put on the storage container. I have a battery disconnect switch in the cat but it was really hot this summer which may have contributed to the dead battery. Still, 9 years isn't bad.

Attachments

• 20211107_133217.jpg
    20211107_133217.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 101
  • 20211107_141425.jpg
    20211107_141425.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 103

Solrus

Finally made it over to the cabin. Our last time here was Sep. 6. I was down sick for most of October. So now I have ton of winter prep to do in a short time.
Went down to the container to check on the cat and it had an almost dead battery. Enough to engage the starter gear but not enough to crank it. It has an Optima yellow top battery that Nik put in when he restored it. That was in 2012. Just doesn't seem that long ago. I may have been able to recharge it but once a battery has gone dead I don't trust them. Especially in a vehicle like a snowcat.
With it in the container it is real hard to get to the battery so I pulled the cat out with my truck. Went down to OReilly in Ellensburg to get a new one.
$338!! 😳🤑 I knew they were pricey but jeez!
It started right up. Checked it over and aired up a few tires so its good to go.
I'm going to look for a solar battery maintainer to put on the storage container. I have a battery disconnect switch in the cat but it was really hot this summer which may have contributed to the dead battery. Still, 9 years isn't bad.
Do you have ability to use battery tender and leave it while you are away? Mine snowcats connected all the time while not in use. I bought multi port Noco that works for all fleet