• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Movie director finds the tomb of Jesus

dzalphakilo

Banned
I swear, sometimes reading these articles is like driving by a accident. You really don't want to look, but for some reason you just want to see whats going on or what happened, then when you look, you may end up regretting it.

Amazing that it was James Cameron?

My first thought, hmmm, all this time and effort of others, and low and behold, a movie director comes along.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070226/lf_afp/usisraelreligionchristianityarchaeologyfilm_070226170455

edited by doc to add content:

Tomb could be of Jesus, wife and son

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The burial site of Jesus has been found and suggests he had a wife and son, according to highly sensitive claims in a documentary by "Titanic" director James Cameron and
Israel-born Simcha Jacobovici.

The claims inject controversy into the issue of resurrection central to Christianity and, if accurate, could reignite questions about Jesus' earthy family life popularized in the book "The Da Vinci Code."

Cameron and Jacobovici, an award-winning documentary director, said their research suggested Jesus married Mary Magdalene and had a son, Judah.

"DNA analysis conducted at one of the world's foremost molecular genetics laboratories, as well as studies by leading scholars, suggest a 2,000-year-old Jerusalem tomb could have once held the remains of Jesus of Nazareth and his family," a statement from Discovery, which will broadcast the documentary, said.

The tomb was located in Talpiot, Jerusalem, March 28, 1980 by a construction crew developing an apartment complex.

Scholar L.Y. Rahmani later published "A Catalogue of Jewish Ossuaries" that described 10 ossuaries, or limestone bone boxes, found in the tomb, the Discovery statement said.

Five of the 10 discovered boxes in the Talpiot tomb were inscribed with names believed to be associated with key figures in the New Testament: Jesus, Mary, Matthew, Joseph and Mary Magdalene. A sixth inscription, written in Aramaic, translates to "Judah Son of Jesus."

"Such tombs are very typical for that region," Aaron Brody, associate professor of Bible and archaeology at the Pacific School of Religion and director of California's Bade Museum, told Discovery News.

In addition to the "Judah son of Jesus" inscription, which is written in Aramaic on one of the ossuaries, another limestone burial box is labeled in Aramaic with "Jesus Son of Joseph." Another bears the Hebrew inscription "Maria," a Latin version of "Miriam," or, in English, "Mary."

Yet another ossuary inscription, written in Hebrew, reads "Matia," the original Hebrew word for "Matthew." Only one of the inscriptions is written in Greek. It reads, "Mariamene e Mara," which can be translated as, "Mary known as the master," the television network said.

Jacobovici, director, producer and writer of "The Lost Tomb of Jesus," and his team obtained two sets of samples from the ossuaries for DNA and chemical analysis. The first set consisted of bits of matter taken from the "Jesus Son of Joseph" and "Mariamene e Mara" ossuaries. The second set consisted of patina, a chemical film encrustation on one of the limestone boxes.

The human remains were analyzed by Carney Matheson, a scientist at the Paleo-DNA Laboratory at Lakehead University in Ontario, Canada. Mitochondrial DNA examination determined the individual in the Jesus ossuary and the person in the ossuary linked to Mary Magdalene were not related.

Since tombs normally contain either blood relations or spouses, Jacobovici and his team suggest Jesus and Mary Magdalene could have been a couple. "Judah," whom they indicate may have been their son, could have been the "lad" described in the Gospel of John as sleeping in Jesus' lap at the Last Supper, they argue in their documentary.

Israeli archaeologist and professor Amos Kloner, who documented the tomb as the Jewish burial cave of a well-off family more than 10 years ago, is adamant there is no evidence to support claims that it was the burial site of Jesus.

"I'm a scholar. I do scholarly work which has nothing to do with documentary film-making. There's no way to take a religious story and to turn it into something scientific," he told AFP in a telephone interview.

"I still insist that it is a regular burial chamber from the 1st century BC," Kloner said, adding that the names were a coincidence.

"Who says that 'Maria' is Magdalena and 'Judah' is the son of Jesus? It cannot be proved. These are very popular and common names from the 1st century BC," said the academic at Israel's Bar Ilan University.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The claims inject controversy into the issue of resurrection central to Christianity

This shows a complete mis-understanding of the resurrection. And if it does bring questions of faith, then it does so to people who also hae a complete misunderstaind of resurrection. The earthly body is not ressurected, the heavenly and eternal body is. There is a difference. Therefore there is no reason to think that the earthly remains of Jesus could not be found. Basic Catholic teaching are actually very clear on this point, but for some reason many people (Catholic and non-Catholic alike) seem to get confused over this point.

BoneheadNW

No, no, NO! It was not the burial site of Jesus CHRIST that they found, it was that of Jesus GOLDBERG! I think he owned a deli on the corner of 5th and Pico in L.A.
Bonehead

elsmitro

floppy member
Movie director finds the tomb of Jesus H. Smith

Well, I thought it was best to ignore this director all the way around. But, if we are making fun I can't resist! I thought it was the tomb of Jesus H. Smith, the Anglo-Saxon metal Smith!
:thumb:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I just think someone needed to promote his cheesy documentary. Nothing like controversy for free marketing.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
What a joke! Hell when I was in Mexico I saw a grave marker that said "Jesus" on it! That I know is indeed the true resting place of Jesus. Anything to discredit the Christian faith. But as we Christians know, that is there goal.

Keep the Faith!

dzalphakilo

Banned
Some of you guys have it half right. It was Jesus Hernandaz, they're still trying to verify that he was working in the mideast with up to date paperwork for that time. Still trying to figure out how he made it over there.

mak2

B_Skurka said:
This shows a complete mis-understanding of the resurrection. And if it does bring questions of faith, then it does so to people who also hae a complete misunderstaind of resurrection. The earthly body is not ressurected, the heavenly and eternal body is. There is a difference. Therefore there is no reason to think that the earthly remains of Jesus could not be found. Basic Catholic teaching are actually very clear on this point, but for some reason many people (Catholic and non-Catholic alike) seem to get confused over this point.
Exactly right, I was going to try to articulate that point but you did an excellent job. It kind of amazes me that a story like this, before verified in any meaningful manner, gets this kind of press. I think it is the mass media's eagerness to dis Christanity. The problem is they probably know less about Christanity than firearms, which they never get right either. The scary part is so many people belive every thing "they" say. I was listening a couple of mid 20's women at the Y talking about global warming and Al Gore, and how terrible it is we are screwing up the world for their kids. Geeze. Enviornment, Christanity and firearms kinda of off topic Sorry. Just the media seems to have an agenda.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Movie director finds the tomb of Jesus
You guys are taking this way too seriously.

This thread should have been titled 'Movie Director Finds A Way To get Millions Of $ Of Free Advertising For His New Movie'.

It has nothing to do with faith or religion. Just another 'Blair Witch' ... or Rosemary's Baby, for those old enough to remember that one.

mak2

California said:
You guys are taking this way too seriously.

This thread should have been titled 'Movie Director Finds A Way To get Millions Of $ Of Free Advertising For His New Movie'.

It has nothing to do with faith or religion. Just another 'Blair Witch' ... or Rosemary's Baby, for those old enough to remember that one.
:oops: That is what happens when I get online sober. Sorry.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
California said:
Isn't that the truth.

I didn't read the article in the original post but if I recall correctly, the British are the ones that found this tomb... about 10 years ago.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I if I recall correctly, the British are the ones that found this tomb... about 10 years ago.
3 Israeli archiologists found the tomb in 1980. There was a British documentary about this, that might have been about 10 years ago.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
3 Israeli archiologists found the tomb in 1980. There was a British documentary about this, that might have been about 10 years ago.
Thanks Bob for the clarification. That's what I recall (the British documentary).

Glink

Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
What a joke! Hell when I was in Mexico I saw a grave marker that said "Jesus" on it! That I know is indeed the true resting place of Jesus. Anything to discredit the Christian faith. But as we Christians know, that is there goal.

Keep the Faith!

No, no, no Jesus is not dead, he is alive and well and working as QC inspector in one of our customer's plants in Mx. I just spoke to him on the phone this morning, relative to some parts out of spec.
He was not in a forgiving mood today.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Glink said:
No, no, no Jesus is not dead, he is alive and well and working as QC inspector in one of our customer's plants in Mx. I just spoke to him on the phone this morning, relative to some parts out of spec.
He was not in a forgiving mood today.

hehehe - ya, I think I know a few of those! What's funny is when you show them how the product was in spec and they don't know how to interpret their own spec. These little Jesus' people are not the Pope - they are failable.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
You know whats a hell of a lot more important?!?! FINDING THE WORD OF GOD!!!!!
As a (sinful and bad representation of a) Christian, why would I care about finding a block of stone? What good is finding Henry Fords grave if you dont know how to build an assembly plant?
Basically I could care less if it is, or is not the real thing. :tiphat: