• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Car Advice Please

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
So my daughter-in-law is ready to get a new car.
We went and looked at a 2016 Chevy Cruze the other day.
She wasn't crazy about it.

Then she came across this.
An Audi 2016 78,000 miles on the clock.
She is seriously considering it.
Runs perfect! excellent, but she's not sure.
Any thoughts?

2016 Audi 20180915_190647.png

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As the owner of several German cars, including 2 Audis I would throw out some warnings. Dealers are few and far between, and very rare in some areas. Parts are typically very expensive. Dealership repair charges are typically high. If you have a good foreign car mechanic that can go a long way to manage repair costs.

FWIW, I'd say you can easily substitute the names VW, Mercedes or BMW for Audi in the above paragraph. German cars are usually expensive to maintain. They have superior handling, amazing engineering, but they are typically expensive. If that is not an issue then realize that the driving experience is awesome.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Bob, I'll pass that along.
The car she has right now is a Mercury Sable that's coming to it's end.
This car is at a dealership in Archbold.
They want a bundle for it.
I told her not to be in a rush.
My son even said what you did about dealers and repairs.
Thanks again.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I too have been looking at cars. I believe Audi is rated #1 of all the manufacturers right now.

That said, we've had 3 Audi's (although none recently, since Audi has stepped up their game a bit). We've found them to be finicky on maintenance and preventative maintenance. Basically, they were in the shop a lot more than a more casual sedan (like an Accord, Camry or similar). They're definitely more luxurious and fun to drive compared to something like an Accord. Their all-wheel drive system is darn near bulletproof and will get you through winters so much better than a front-wheel drive.

For the Cruze, I'm hearing a lot of complaints about transmission issues. I'd pass on the Cruze but Chevy's Malibu and Impala are good cars according to my mechanics.

In the mid-sized sedans, you can't ever go wrong with an Accord or Camry (I prefer the Accord as the Camry's handling isn't as crisp). The Subaru's are growing in popularity but I'd do some internet searches on issues related to their CVT transmission. We almost bought a Subaru Outback last fall but after taking that for a ride then immediately taking out a Lexus RX-350 (mid-sized SUV), the Lexus won, hands down.

All that said, I'd suggest she shop around more. If she's looking at a Cruze and an Audi, there's lots of quality car models between the two. She'll need to weigh things like how it'll be in the winter, reliability... and my favorite, "smiles per mile". I drive my wife's Avalon now and then. Smiles per mile are near zero as it's just such a bland driving experience. I then hop in my BMW and the smiles per mile are through the roof as it's so much fun to drive.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks zoom!
I appreciate it you guys.
I'm being mindful of not allowing her to make a bad investment.
She bought her existing car at a buy here/pay here place years ago.
The guy is a twit.
Bigg Deals.
Defiance, Ohio.
The place ought to be shut down.

Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got distracted and stepped away from computer but was writing/posting my last reply before I just saw Bob's reply.

I agree with him 100% on European car manufacturers as it relates to maintenance as well as their engineering and incredible driving experience.

We've had at least 3 Audi's, 2 Mercedes and 2 BMW's. All awesome but we've learned NOT to make them daily drivers. Rack up you daily miles on something not as sweet but just flat-out reliable (I'll keep going back to Honda or Toyota) that you don't mind it taking the abuse of daily driving. Save your luxury car for pleasure driving.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm being mindful of not allowing her to make a bad investment.
May I suggest you change your verbiage or discussions with her to elaborate on "investment". 99% of cars are just depreciating assets, the other 1% are collector cars which isn't what's she's looking at. As she considers each vehicle, consider the total cost of ownership. An Audi will have higher insurance and maintenance costs compared to a Chevy to the tune of maybe $1000 per year.

Based on the Cruze or used Audi, I'm guessing she's in the the mid $20K range for price. I'd like to suggest she really stretches out her search criteria, including looking at some older vehicles. Cars made in this century are so much better built and last a lot longer than those of yesteryear. Don't be afraid of looking at cars that may be 8 years old.

Mrs. Zoom and I have 6 cars. With the exception of the new truck (I allow myself a new truck every 10-12 years), all of ours are older but still damn near bulletproof if you buy the right model for the year. There's a lot of web sites that give detailed information by year for the style of vehicle you're looking for. As an example based on our most recent purchase, I ended up on US News and World Report's site of rating mid-sized luxury SUV's. The ratings pointed me in the right direction as the top 10 were all the Lexus RX-350, just different years or trim types.

Once we've narrowed down the top couple vehicles, one of our strategies is to look for vehicles owned by senior citizens for multiple reasons. They're almost always dealer maintained at precise maintenance intervals; most are low miles since they're not driving to work daily; clean since they don't haul rug-rats or daily living crap; owners are established at household so they're normally garage kept; most are one-owner cars... A CarFax helps recognize who the previous owner(s) were.

Our go-to sedans are both 15 years old. Both were one-owner senior citizen cars, dealer maintained, low miles... like what I discussed above. Great deals are there to be had. Our Lexus SUV is 8 years old but only has 54K miles and again, a senior's car. It's 100% immaculate inside and out.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well she can afford 10,000- 15,000 area I'm pretty sure.
I don't want to let her go over that at all.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My bad. I thought she was looking at a new Cruze or slightly used Audi. Just re-read first post and see it's a 2016.

$10-15K still buys a lot of car. She can get a newer less luxurious car or a slightly older more luxury car in that range. Myself, I wouldn't hesitate looking back as far as 2010 models if mileage, condition and maintenance history are right.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
My bad. I thought she was looking at a new Cruze or slightly used Audi. Just re-read first post and see it's a 2016.

$10-15K still buys a lot of car. She can get a newer less luxurious car or a slightly older more luxury car in that range. Myself, I wouldn't hesitate looking back as far as 2010 models if mileage, condition and maintenance history are right.

Nope the Cruze was an older model.
I actually liked it, but she didn't.
Her friend tried to talk her into a Cadillac.
She said oh yeah, see me driving that to the factory, they gonna say how she afford that?
:yum:
There are many places to look.
I suggested we go to Toledo next time we both have time to look, or even Lima Auto Mall.
I just want to see her in a newer car period and not something that's going to cause her problems down the road.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Newer cars with all their gadgets can cause as many issues as slightly older cars without that stuff. ;) My new truck has more issues than our older Accord or Avalon ever had.

Most dealers have their inventory online as well as the CarFax available for online viewing. The CarFax history can tell you a lot in terms of issues and how well it was maintained. Shopping online before visiting the dealer can give you a better feel for a vehicle before you actually sit in it.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
If you are looking toward vehicles with 70K+ miles on them, I would urge you to buy something that is easy and cost efficient to repair. German cars, while nice automobiles and I happen to own one, do not fit that category in the least. Brake jobs, new exhausts for example are very expensive to do on these cars. My German car only has 23K so I have not experienced any of these issues yet, and believe me, I will be rid of it long before I do.

Maybe your brother who runs a wrecker service has some input in this area. Good luck.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
If you are looking toward vehicles with 70K+ miles on them, I would urge you to buy something that is easy and cost efficient to repair. German cars, while nice automobiles and I happen to own one, do not fit that category in the least. Brake jobs, new exhausts for example are very expensive to do on these cars. My German car only has 23K so I have not experienced any of these issues yet, and believe me, I will be rid of it long before I do.

Maybe your brother who runs a wrecker service has some input in this area. Good luck.
That would be my son lol
Yup.
Thanks Butch.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm amazed on all the discussion that no one has mentioned Pacific rim cars. Subaru, Mitsubishi, Honda.

Nothing wrong with a Chevy Malibu but don't buy a Chevy Cruz.

Honda makes a great Grocery getter and is exceptionally vanilla boring, but dependable.

Mitsubishi drive trains are bullet proof. Toyota's are dependable if not boring, but are sold and serviced worldwide.

As for German cars,,,; Mercedes builds the best engineered cars in the world but assembles them with the cheapest parts. Most other European MFGs do the same.

Frankly I wouldn't touch a Government Motors car but they are a good value right now. Buy from the upper end of the line.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm amazed on all the discussion that no one has mentioned Pacific rim cars. Subaru, Mitsubishi, Honda.

Nothing wrong with a Chevy Malibu but don't buy a Chevy Cruz.

Honda makes a great Grocery getter and is exceptionally vanilla boring, but dependable.

Mitsubishi drive trains are bullet proof. Toyota's are dependable if not boring, but are sold and serviced worldwide.

As for German cars,,,; Mercedes builds the best engineered cars in the world but assembles them with the cheapest parts. Most other European MFGs do the same.

Frankly I wouldn't touch a Government Motors car but they are a good value right now. Buy from the upper end of the line.

100% correct Franc. Honda Civic would be my vote for a dependable used car. I remember back in 1999 my son bought a used one hoping to get a year out of it right after college until he could get his financial feet under him. He ended up driving the the car for 5 years and it was still running good when he traded it for something a bit newer and nicer.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
BTW, for those who don't know, Cadillac's are built in China right next to Kia's.

Aren't you glad Obama bailed out GM?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well guys, she bought a 2009 Grand Prix.
78,000 on the clock.
She found it on Auto Trader.
It was owned by one couple.
It runs perfect, excellent body, new tires, clean under the hood.
If she's happy, then I'm happy.
I'll take some pics of it tomorrow.