• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Driverless cars

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
we are just dumbing down society why reproduce with the healthy and smart when a computer can do everything for you

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
They'll need lots of redundancy built in for critical components like knowing when and how quickly to stop and avoiding unexpected obstacles. Things the average commuter has to deal with every day.
Mike

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been on the road with enough driverless cars as it is.
Do we really need to automate the process?:unsure:

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
So if a driverless car is in a fatality accident, who gets sued?? The car maker, the maker of all controlling electronics??
Mike

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
As someone who can't drive due to my epileptic seizures I would like this to be true however I think it's a pipe dream.
The only way that this could ever even have a possbility to work is this: If all of them were linked in to this. And of course this would be controlled by the government, (most likely the Feds). Scary - NO THANKS!
Still I don't think this would ever work. Even the best driver can't stop all accidents.
For example what if some idiot runs out into the street trying to cross it to catch a bus or something?
If he gets hit, (no matter that it's his fault), the manufacturer of this technology would be sued, and that's it. That would be the beginning of the end for that.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – A self-driving Uber vehicle struck and killed a pedestrian in a Phoenix suburb in the first fatality involving a fully autonomous test vehicle, prompting the ride-hailing company Monday to suspend all road-testing of such autos in the U.S. and Canada.
Depending on who is found to be at fault, the accident could have far-reaching consequences for the development of self-driving vehicles, which have been billed as potentially safer than human drivers.
The Volvo was in self-driving mode with a human operator behind the wheel when a woman walking outside a crosswalk in Tempe on Sunday night was hit, police said. The woman, identified as Elaine Herzberg, 49, died at a hospital.
Uber suspended all of its self-driving vehicle testing in the Phoenix area, Pittsburgh, San Francisco and Toronto.
The testing has been going on for months as automakers and technology companies compete to be the first with the technology.
Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi expressed condolences on his Twitter account and said the company is working with local law enforcement on the investigation.
The federal government has voluntary guidelines for companies that want to test autonomous vehicles, leaving much of the regulation up to states.
But Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao also has said technology and automobile companies need to allay public fears of self-driving vehicles, citing a poll showing that 78 percent of people fear riding in autonomous vehicles
The number of states considering legislation related to autonomous vehicles gradually has increased each year, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. In 2017 alone, 33 states introduced legislation.
California is among those that require manufacturers to report any incidents to the motor vehicle department during the testing phase. As of early March, the agency received 59 such reports.
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/03...vehicle-hits-kills-pedestrian-in-arizona.html

What do you think will happen now?