• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2014 Toyota 4Runner Navigation and Radio constantly reboots

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This vehicle came with a nice in dash head unit with Navigation, phone, blue tooth, USB, satellite radio and am/fm radio.
The Navigation leaves a lot to be desired in that it is not up to date. It does not know about roads built from 2008 on, even though the head unit is in a 2014 vehicle. I tried to get an update for the navigation system. At first the Toyota dealer rep could not find the price so offers to call me back. But they don't call back. I tried twice with this same result. So I complained and after the run around I was quoted 499 for a software update for the navigation system. Crazy.

So, I did nothing. If I needed navigation I would use my phone or my wife's. That has been for the past couple of years. I would deal with the head unit shutting down and rebooting on occasion while we were driving. If using navigation, to get it back you have to stop the vehicle and put it in park before the software allows you to do anything. Total BS. Another reason for using a cell phone for navigation. Still the shutdown and reboot was a point of frustration. But since it did not happen that often, I dealt with it.

That is till now. Yesterday I went to town, a 20 mile drive. Made a few stops and came home. The head unit shutdown and rebooted 5 times. Enough is enough.

If anyone knows of anything I can do to fix this I would be interested in trying whatever as long as cost was not to much. I doubt that anything cheap will fix it so I'm in the market for a new replacement head unit with navigation. I want one that can run apps like google maps and waze so I'll always have up to date navigation, plus all the standard features of the current head unit (am/fm, satellite radio, blue tooth for phone, usb input for playing music etc).

So I'm looking for recommendations.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
You are probably not the only one with the problem but you might be the only one here with a newish 4runner.

I belong to a 4runner forum that's sorted into different years and has lots of helpful members.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/

I got a new head unit for my '05 Tundra from Crutchfield. They are Very helpful.