• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Clock spring

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
First some background info. So last year my airbag light came on in the ford f150. At first I thought it was a sensor. It's been like that since then. A couple months ago my cruise control kicked out and stopped working. Shortly after, I discovered that my horn no longer worked when some a-hole didn't go when a light turned green. Guess he was too busy texting or picking his nose.

I did some online research and everything pointed to the clock spring in the steering column. So I looked in town first. $395. Not happening. Next I consulted with my go to parts supplier(ebay) and found one for $75. I ordered it and today tore into the steering column.

First, I disconnected the battery and pulled the airbag fuse. Next, removed the airbag and steering wheel using a puller. This revealed the old clock spring. I swapped it out and put everything back together. The horn now works. The cruise works. And the airbag light is off. All is good. [emoji2]

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Good job. Those damn air bags make me nervous. I'd rather get punched in the face than have one of those things go off.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Me too. I gained my knowledge about what to do on YouTube. Lmao. Every how to video said to disconnect the battery first and because there may be stored energy either pop the fuse or wait about 10 minutes.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife's car went through he airbag thing and I had to put in a new Clock spring.

The airbags are scary. I understand that in addition to everything you did that there may be a big capacitor someplace that needs to discharge or be discharged.