• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need a new gas trimmer

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
My two cheap-ass string trimmers are pretty much dead, and I need to replace it this spring. I was at Lowes today, and they have a pretty nice looking Husqvarna long shaft trimmer on sale for $199. A nice long one is important for me, the shorter ones are impossible to use for any length of time becuase I need to bend over too far.

Anyone have some good experience and/or advice with the different makers of gas trimmers?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm very happy with a Stihl that I bought about 2 years ago. In my case I bought a small one for my wife but I've ended up using it and it has very low vibration, and their easy start feature that actually works. It was under $200.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I agree with you on the long shaft . That is the only way to go . I have two at the ranch in Idaho . The little one I took with me just puked up its guts trying to keep up . I went to HD and bought two . One for the wife which is lighter and one for me which looks like a V-8 motor on the back !!! Mine is a Husky and I love it for heavy duty work or brush cutting . Karen's is a Toro and is just right around the yards . I think I paid about $400 for mine and $200 for the Toro . The Toro is much louder , just so you know .

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Ditto what Bob said. I love my Stihl. Best $179 I ever spent. (model is FS42 or something similar) It is *not* the straight shaft model, that one was $20 more.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Now you got me 2nd guessing myself .:confused: Maybe mine is a Stihl .Well ... It's one of the two,anyway !!!:pat: Its been 6 months since I last saw it . The only thing I am sure about is the price, because it was more than I ever thought I would pay for a weed eater . The dealer set me straight, and explained that it was a lot more than a "weed eater" as I called it .

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Av8r3400 said:
Ditto what Bob said. I love my Stihl. Best $179 I ever spent. (model is FS42 or something similar) It is *not* the straight shaft model, that one was $20 more.

This one? Looks like a nice one. The wife can even use it with the easy starting. :coolshade

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Naw. This is mine. It is their "cheap" one. Still, I haven't seen a trimmer (in it's price range) that is it's equal.

The one you listed is **exactly** the same only with the longer shaft. I'm "built with a low center of gravity" :rolleyes: , so the long shaft was not needed for me.

FYI: On myneighbor'ss advise i got the 3 poly-bladed head as well as the line head. The poly blade head is sure nice for heavy cutting!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
When I was starting my business several years ago, I did some large commercial mowing jobs for side money and to keep things going. When looking to buy gas trimmers for commercial use, most guys were using either Stihl or Echo. Our county highway department used Stihl as well. So, I bought 3 Stihl trimmers. I can't comment on any other brand because I've never had any of the Stihl trimmers fail me. I used them commercially for 3 years and then around my place (which would constitute a couple hours a week during all but winter months). They have changed their model numbers since, but I have two FS85's and an FS106. If I recall correctly, the FS106 was nearly $800. :eek: It's a beast that gets the heavy work. Even though it paid itself off doing commercial jobs, for that price, it better last me 10 to 15 more years! As the others suggested, I don't think you can go wrong with the Stihl line. Others may be just as good or better but Stihl has worked for me.

BoneheadNW

I too have a Stihl FS85 and would not trade it for anything. Starts right up after months of not being used (as in winter time), it is light, powerful, easy to maintain. Other than stirring up a nest of yellowjackets, it has been a pleasure to use!
Bone

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I got a FS85 too, I got it all with the fancy options that you dont get on the lower models.
Its a beast, I use it an awful lot, right after I bought it I used it about 6 hours a day solid for 3 days then 5 hours a day for 2 days the week after, just stopping for a drink and refuel. It still runs like a top! Now I just use it for cutting banks in the summer and trimming all year round.
I started it yesterday on the 3rd pull after sitting all winter with the fuel in it.
I also have the 0-90 hedgecutter head for it, thats a mean bit of kit too, itll shear 3/4'' branches in one gulp.

I would reccomend Stihl, and also recommend getting the heavy use ones, the homeowner ones dont have anti-vibe on them, and if you are going to be using it for more than 15 mins at a time you are going to need it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Husqvarna.

I'll give it a "Just OK".

The engine is fine but mine runs 40-1. Everything else I own is either 32-1 or 50-1 so it requires I fill the tank with 1/2 of each.

The guard that goes over the trimmer breaks easily. I've gone through a couple and a friend who has the same one has broke some as well.

They change their design too often so finding parts is kind of difficult.

I'm going to use it until it dies then go get a Stihl.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith said:
I would reccomend Stihl, and also recommend getting the heavy use ones, the homeowner ones dont have anti-vibe on them, and if you are going to be using it for more than 15 mins at a time you are going to need it.

Ditto that. :thumb:

I'll only add that I think bicycle grips and a full harness really take the stress off the arms if you have more than 15 minutes of work. If you're using it only for trimming (instead of brushing cutting: i.e. swinging motion), everyone will think you're nuts - and so will you until you get used to walking sideways with it; however then try even the lightest trimmer you can find for 5 minutes and you'll want your harness back!

Besides the bicycle grip gives you more of a "manly chopper" look than the "old lady with her electric toy" look! :D

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Spiffy, can I just add that I would consider the loop handle better if you are doing edges, small patches, and fiddly bits. I would say the loop gives you better control and you can swing it about more without the harness on.
I bought the loop so I could use the hedgecutter, and seeming as I dont cut massive areas, mostly banks and around edges I prefer the loop.
Though if you are doing big areas, go with the bicycle.

I love going to a job and getting asked if I need a power socket for my 'trimmer'. Nope, but I would shut your windows so grass doesnt fly in from 20' away from my 'brushcutter'! :D

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
I can't agrue your facts Mith, the "D" is much more manuverable. Of course, since I'm not exactly normal either, I've found I like the bike better for anything over a couple minutes and - despite probably looking about like a really ugly hula dancer - I can manuver it pretty tight too.

Wait:pat: .....my wife doesn't mind using the "D" trimmer. I like the "D"; I like the "D"..... :D :D

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
I must have painted a really ugly picture with the hula dancer analogy if Mith hasn't posted a comment on it. :eek:

Back to trimmers....Dave, any verdict on your trimmer?:weneedpic especially if you found one you can con the wife into using.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Spiffy1 said:
I must have painted a really ugly picture with the hula dancer analogy if Mith hasn't posted a comment on it. :eek:

Back to trimmers....Dave, any verdict on your trimmer?:weneedpic especially if you found one you can con the wife into using.
I plan on heading over to the local Stihl dealer on Thursday when I get back into town. Looks like the gereral opinion is that I can't go wrong there.

HGM

I'll just add mine.. I bought the Huskvarna, mainly because of how happy I was with the saw I bought.. I got it from here ... The price was the best I found.. I believe mine is a 326(dont remember specificly, usually dont look at it, just use it) and I like it pretty well.. Though I know I should pay more attention to getting the fuel out for storage, the chainsaw and trimmer have set for 4-6mo with old fuel in them and still fired right up and work like a charm whenever I need them, and thats what I wanted when I bought, so no complaints..

You definitly cant go wrong with Stihl, but Huskvarna's in the same class.. You would want to look for a service facility in your area for each, that would make my decision.. The thing that concerns me with Stihl(though very popular) is they are very proprietary.. Only certain places can sell them, can only ceertain places service them?(honest question, I dont know).. Something to think about..

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Before I had a real tractor I cleared paths through our property with a trimmer with the blade attachment. The brand was recommended to me by a co-worker who heard about it thru the power company. The power company uses them to clear their right of ways. Shindaiwa. Ours is a commercial model and it has the straight shaft. Well balanced and works great. Cost was a tad over 3 hundred bucks. We've had it about 7 years now, with no problems. It is not used with the blade near as much now since I have a tractor and a rotary cutter. :D

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
HGM,

All my chainsaws are Husqvarna and they're all great. I just didn't think the trimmer I got matched up with their saw category.

www.alamia.com is also a good source for Husquvarna, Echo, Tanaka...

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
FS55_both.gif

Mines the one on the right - and I like it alot...I'd give it an :a1:

"My student has A.D.D. - and a couple of F's"

buy_25

Banned
let me know when the real trimmers like Red Max, shindaiwa etc not this cheap stuff come into play...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bump.

It's been a year and I'm thinking of getting a new trimmer.

Leaning towards Stihl.

I want the bicycle style and don't want to spend more than about $300-350.

Thoughts/recommendations/models?

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I am sold on the Husqvarna products, because the local Stihl dealer isn't very accommodating. If something breaks and it is a few years old, he says that parts aren't available and it will need to be replaced. The local Husqvarna dealer will repair both brands, and never seems to have a problem getting parts. Based on that, I buy what he sells, and I buy it from him, unless I buy used. I bought two Husqvarna trimmers from Lowe's last fall at a close out price of $25 each. They were returns that were sent out for service and sold as used. Gave one to a friend that does commercial landscaping, and he couldn't be happier with it. I kept the other for a spare for myself. I now have a curved and a straight one, and they both are great running units. Junk....

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Let me throw in some history. I have a Sears with the handle bars, works great, had the blade etc.............long straight shafted. Had to replace the head on it, so I bought one that does not wind the string but uses precut lengths.............. .80, I got a big spool of it like 6 years ago and just not finishing it up. Starts everytime, replaced spark plug once........keep fuel in it, and it is 14 years old this year................Too bad the mower I bought with it, died in 2 weeks!