• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Liability of First Aid? Sports injury at school...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So I help out at the high school with the fencing team. I set up the strips for practice, help repair weapons, etc. My daughter also happens to be on the team so its not like I just hang out lurking like a dirty old man :hammer:

Today one of the girls had a blade snap in half. A small metal splinter was stuck in her hand. The fencing team is pretty ill equipped for any sort of injury and has a $15 first aid kit from Walgreens as their full compliment of first aid supplies. So the coach and the nun who are two bosses go for their first aid kit. I step up and offer my kit, its in my car, not more than 35' away since I parked next to the door. The team kit is 2 hallways and a few hundred feet away. They decline my first aid kit. Ok, I have no problem with that. They then decide to see if the school trainer is still in the building. NOPE. I offer my kit again. Coach says no, she put Neosporin and a band-aid on the wound and told the girl to take the metal splinter out at home.

The thing is the coach had been previously informed that I carry a very extensive first aid kit, with wound and trama supplies, etc etc etc. I had everything needed to take out a metal splinter and treat the wound.

So I ask, was there a LIABILITY MOTIVE behind turning down the use of my kit that maybe I don't understand?

I suppose that might be possible. Or maybe the coach really didn't understand the extent of the kit I carry?

Honestly if my kid came home that way I think I might be more upset than if the parent of another child had offered his/her kit for assistance. Thoughts? Am I missing something?