• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Truck Time

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
We have been in Arizona for a month now. I can not live without a truck to haul things. The Subaru just can't get all of the jobs done for furnishing a new to us home. We only moved what could fit in the Subaru down to AZ this trip. I had been looking in WY at the new full size trucks Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan and Ram for a couple months. None of the seats seemed to provide the adjustment I wanted except for the Ram seats. The others just felt like I was laying back in an easy chair and that is not how I drive. The Ram seats sit flatter and more upright for my driving. I ended up purchasing a 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie edition in Arizona. The end of the year deals are running now and I got about 12K+ off the sticker price of the 2018. It will also have chrome tube running boards and a matching cab high camper installed soon.
2018 Ram 1500.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Good looking truck, a very good looking truck. Enjoy it. :thumbup:

I don't know how anybody can live without a truck of some sort in the family. Mine is 19-years old. It's a Ford F350 dually with about 80K miles on it. It has served me faithfully over the years but it's 'way too big for my current needs. Every few years I get the longing for a new smaller truck, that is until I look at the cost of the new ones. That's when I decide that maybe my old girl has a few years left in her yet. :smile:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice truck. I've been lusting for a new truck for a while. I'm not particular on what brand. It most likely won't be dodge though due to a crappy local dealership and the next nearest one being a 5 hour drive from here.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks Nice. I bet it rides nice too.
I missed the news that you are now in AZ. What a big change. Is this a 2nd home or a permanent move (if you don't mind my asking)?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Yes Doc, we purchased a new to us winter home in AZ last January. We finally got down here the first of March this year. We have not yet decide if we want to do two homes again so the WY home may get sold. I am tired of winter dictating my day. We can see all of the snow we want on the mountains behind our AZ home. We are at about 4500 foot elevation and the mountains behind us are over 9,000 foot so the temperature is not nearly as hot as the big city of Phoenix/Tucson but very mild compared to our WY home town. I worked outside most of my life in the cold of the northern US and decided last fall it was a time for change. After a 4000 mile road trip through the SW US looking for "our spot" we picked Sierra Vista AZ.

New to us winter home:
3044 Mtn Ridge.jpg

Last edited:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Nice truck. I've been lusting for a new truck for a while. I'm not particular on what brand. It most likely won't be dodge though due to a crappy local dealership and the next nearest one being a 5 hour drive from here.

I got my eye on the new Rangers, but that big sticker price will have me looking away again. :th_lmao:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm still in the market for a new truck when the time is right.(as soon as my accident settlement is done). I've looked at ford, gm, toyota so far. Thinking it might be a new f150 in my future. I was just reading reviews on the new generation 3.5l engine as I was a bit concerned about reliability issues regarding the turbos. The new engines have been rediesigned with a new turbo among many other changes but still produces the same horsepower but now gives an additional 35 lbs of torque topping at 450 ft lbs. Another thing I was intrigued by is that ford and gm worked together to come up with the new 10 speed automatic transmission. Interesting. The review I read didn't specify if the transmissions for each brand will be exactly the same or if they will just utilize the learned technology to apply to their own versions of the 10 speed.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have been in Arizona for a month now. I can not live without a truck to haul things. The Subaru just can't get all of the jobs done for furnishing a new to us home. We only moved what could fit in the Subaru down to AZ this trip. I had been looking in WY at the new full size trucks Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan and Ram for a couple months. None of the seats seemed to provide the adjustment I wanted except for the Ram seats. The others just felt like I was laying back in an easy chair and that is not how I drive. The Ram seats sit flatter and more upright for my driving. I ended up purchasing a 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie edition in Arizona. The end of the year deals are running now and I got about 12K+ off the sticker price of the 2018. It will also have chrome tube running boards and a matching cab high camper installed soon.
View attachment 98561

do you have the coil springs? if so you should have a smoother ride

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
After seeing my brothers dodge in action I decided that coil springs on the back may provide a good ride but definitely can't handle the weight of anything in the back of the truck. I hooked up a light trailer to my 07 f150 and the suspension barely moved. We tried the same trailer on his truck and those springs were almost bottomed out. Not to mention that at 50k kms, the whole front suspension needed replacing and the air conditioning system no longer worked.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter

Coils all the way around.

If no load or lightly loaded with the shell running about 40PSI in the tires gives a "Cadillac" ride. Very nice for our 1300 mile trips between homes. :thumbup:

Love the heated and COOLED seats in the Laramie version. :thumbup:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I decided I did not want it to look like a Suburban by matching the rear shell cover to the body so I matched the silver along the lower part of the body. Turned out looking good and does not look like all the other trucks in the parking lots. I found this shell as used in like new condition at less than half the cost of a new one with similar accessories.

20180714_142111.jpg

20180714_142148_resized.jpg

P2150003.JPG

For the demanding tow jobs I still have the 2001 F250 4X4 with the V10 gasser in WY. We bought it new and it only has 67K miles. It is a Lariat and worth more to me as I know it's history than trade. You never know when you might need the HD truck for some task.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been doing my research lately on the various half ton trucks on the market as I getting ready to pull the trigger on a new truck in the next few months.

I narrowed my selection down to the f150 crew cab, the Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra and the Toyota tundra. This week, I was able to test drive both a Chevy and an f150. Both very similar in specs. Before I begin, let me say that I have been a Chevy guy for a long time. Here's my take for what it's worth.

engine- The ford I drove had the 5 liter engine. The Chevy had the 5.3l. I was very impressed with the low end torque of that 5l in the ford. Smooth. Quiet. Plenty of power. The 5.3l had torque and power too but not as much as the ford.

Ride- both trucks rode nice. The ford was a bit smoother.

Interior- I always liked the Chevy interior. The navigation screen was almost twice the size of the Ford. But the seats were harder in the Chevy. Which brings me to my biggest complaint about the Chevy.

Seating position- I'm a taller guy and have to drive with the seat all the way back. Both trucks were comparable in legroom. But with the seat all the way back, the Chevy steering wheel is a far reach being only a few inches from the dashboard. The ford steering wheel felt way more comfortable. Another thing that I noticed is when sitting in a ford, the steering wheel is pretty much right in front of you. Not so much with the Chevy. I found that sitting center in the driver's seat, the steering wheel doesn't line up but is rather about 2" to the right. Over a long drive, that combined with the steering wheel being so far forward makes for a more tiring drive.

Box- So it seems that if you want a full size crew cab, you have to sacrifice close to a foot of box space with the Chevy 5.8ft vs the ford with a 6.5ft box. But why does the ford have to have such high sides on their box? They've always been like that. I get the whole thing about more cargo space but try putting a truck camper in the box. I had to put 8 inches of blocking under my truck camper so it would clear the side of the box. And the new ones are even higher. I don't have to put any blocking when loading it up into a Chevy. So it's a toss up on what's more important to you.

Overall, I ruled out the Chevy based solely on interior seating and comfort. The ford has a feel of being a comfortable drive over the long haul. And I had gone to the dealership with my heart set on a Chevy.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Some of the Chevy's have the telescoping steering wheels, did you check for that in the one you drove?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I did. If you don't mind paying the extra money for that option it's alright I guess. I still found the seats harder on the Chevy. And I used to think the same for ford.

I have to be way more picky about my vehicles these days. If I can't sit in a truck for more than an hour, then I know that it isn't the truck for me.

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Test drove a brand new Ford today. Beautiful truck with all the options I want. But I just can't bring myself to committing to $800 a month payments. So I went to where we bought the Yukon. They have a 2017 f150 for 20k less than a new one with a lifetime warranty. I may have to go back tomorrow and take a better look.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Trucks are so dang expensive now days. Saving 20k is huge. No doubt that is the route I'd go if I was in the market. Good luck.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Trucks are so dang expensive now days. Saving 20k is huge. No doubt that is the route I'd go if I was in the market. Good luck.
I'm seeing commercials all day for $10-12K off sticker of new Chevy trucks. Time to clear out the 2018 models.

When I bought my new Silverado in 2016, sticker was $49,000. I said to make me a deal. They started at $39,000 then offered me $14,000 for my 11 year old truck. Haggled and ended up walking out at $25K including taxes and paperwork.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm seeing commercials all day for $10-12K off sticker of new Chevy trucks. Time to clear out the 2018 models.

When I bought my new Silverado in 2016, sticker was $49,000. I said to make me a deal. They started at $39,000 then offered me $14,000 for my 11 year old truck. Haggled and ended up walking out at $25K including taxes and paperwork.
:clap: :clap: Good job!!!!!! Sounds like a great deal!!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm still shopping and doing my research. I was leaning toward the f150, then the silverado. Now, I got a look at the new 2019 Dodge ram 1500. The exterior...meh. Nothing too exciting. Maybe it's one of those style changes that has to grow on you. But that interior on the higher end models. Wow. I like it. Very futuristic.

https://goo.gl/images/dPuxqL

Bamby

I'm still shopping and doing my research. I was leaning toward the f150, then the silverado. Now, I got a look at the new 2019 Dodge ram 1500. The exterior...meh. Nothing too exciting. Maybe it's one of those style changes that has to grow on you. But that interior on the higher end models. Wow. I like it. Very futuristic.

https://goo.gl/images/dPuxqL

So you like all that fancy electronics and distractions? Can't see it myself most of my driving is just good old general routine. I don't need navigation to get around my hometown. What I'd like is a plain old pickup with a 300 six and a standard transmission with a plain old radio with some good sounding speakers and I'd be happy. I can remember a time when this could be had for less than 5 grand out the door.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't want to jinx it but I just came from the ford dealership and did an application on a 2017 f150 super crew xtr with the 3.5l engine. It has everything but leather.

Canadian eh!!!
310fc6380f9c473b068944277e5f6adc.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Starting to believe in fate. I'd been looking for basically this exact truck for months with the same options this has. Low and behold, I bring in the old ford for some mechanical work as I had given up finding a newer truck with the interior options I wanted. So I found out about the frame on mine. Left that garage, drove across the street and they had just gotten in this truck. I can be a little more excited about it now as I was approved for the financing. It'll be mine next week.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Got the 07 f150 ready to trade. Shame. The driveline is great and is basically new. It's a case of the good the bad and the ugly. Newer duratrac tires. New front struts. Brakes. Rotors. Pads. Calipers. Brake lines. Power steering lines. Ball joints. 1 Exhaust manifold. Clock spring. Heater control. New plugs and coils.

The bad
One of the new ball joints I installed 6 months ago is blown again. The driver's side exhaust manifold is cracked.

The ugly
RUST. I was fighting a losing battle. I did a homemade patch job on the cab corners. Rust was starting to pop through the rear fenders. The worst part was the final blow I discovered last week. The frame is rotting.

It's a piss off. The driveline could probably go another 100k easy. I doubt the frame would last another year though without snapping in half under the box. Not a good thing considering I do load it with a truck camper occasionally. Better to discover it now.
15ae5428a0ba9f8857832623a8a3e2c6.jpg
83ab2f2adfca177b4184487f6b88e958.jpg
5cdfa0fba6c27e43eb93bd77538f4d48.jpg

Canadian eh!!!

Bamby

So did you buy the other truck? If I were to sell your truck here I'd have to give full disclosure, which would leave it more or less worthless. Maybe it's different up there....

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes. Picking it up tomorrow morning. I did give full disclosure. It's a damn shame. The truck in the shape it's in could probably fetch around 4k up here. But the frame makes it pretty much only worth a parts vehicle.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I picked up the new f150 this morning. I'm going to have to watch myself. That thing has power. Lots of power. And what's up with the engine shutting down at the stoplights? That caught me off guard the first time it happened.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So I discovered something with the ecoboost yesterday on a long desolate stretch of road with no traffic in sight. Did you know that if you disable the traction control then pull the knob for the 2wd 4wd selection which locks the rear axle, you can burn rubber for 100 feet? LMAO Don't ask how I know. That thing is one potent truck. Almost too much power for everyday driving.