• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Kalashnikov debuts "Electric Supercar"

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks worse than a late 70's Volvo Turbo Brick :hammer:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/move-over-musk-kalashnikov-unveils-electric-supercar-162854131.html

Move over, Musk: Kalashnikov unveils 'electric supercar'

Moscow (AFP) - Russian arms maker Kalashnikov on Thursday presented its new electric car inspired by a rare 1970s model, saying the new technology will rival Elon Musk's Tesla.

The brand, best known for the AK-47 machine gun, presented the decidedly retro-looking pale blue prototype, the CV-1, at a defense expo outside Moscow.

The look was inspired by a Soviet hatchback model developed in the 1970s called "Izh-Kombi," a statement on the Kalashnikov website said.

Holding company Kalashnikov Concern said it has developed some cutting-edge elements for the "electric supercar", including a "revolutionary" inverter. The vehicle can travel 350 kilometres on one charge.

"We are developing our own concept of an electric supercar, which is based on several original systems developed by the concern," the firm said.

"This technology will let us stand in the ranks of global electric car producers such as Tesla and be their competitor," RIA-Novosti further quoted the Kalashnikov press-service as saying.

"We were inspired by the experience of global market leaders in developing our concept."

Kalashnikov Concern has long been trying to expand its brand, recently launching lines of clothing and other civilian merchandise ranging from umbrellas to mobile phone covers.

Its foray into electric vehicles however was met with mixed reactions from Russians. Comments to the news on the company's official Facebook page ranged from "cyberpunk" to "Izh-Zombie".

"Your tanks are great, but it would be better if you stayed away from cars," one user wrote.

Earlier this week, online users ridiculed Kalashnikov's new bipedal combat robot. The golden-colour machine, reportedly named "Igorek" in production stages, immediately became a subject of social media memes.

"Somebody had watched too much 'Robocop'," tweeted user happy__keanu, referring to the 1987 action film about a cyborg law enforcer.

Attachments

• 994e8813175b1e334e910d00ef87b344150a2d12.jpg
    994e8813175b1e334e910d00ef87b344150a2d12.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 128

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
Notice the tanks and AK's in the background

... and the libs think Russia actually could hack the elections

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
The range is 220 miles yes, not bad. But Yugo style look is out of the 70's

While officially rated at 265 miles of range per charge, drivers of the 85 kWh Tesla Model S have already managed to eke over 400 miles of range before refueling.
Thanks but, I'll take the Telsa.
th

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I'd drive that thing. How cool. Nobody would know what the hell it was, and I wouldn't tell them either!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
OTOH, the base price for a "stripped" Tesla is over $35k.

No info on the CV-1 price.

You're suggesting that $35K* is a lot for a premium car? Or that the Russia POS is worth having at any price.

I would suggest, in a free market setting, they could not give them away.

I doubt Elon Musk is worried. His problem are that he cannot make them fast enough to meet demand ,,,;or, as yet, make a profit.

* That is, of course, after all government rebates and incentives. Base price is actually around $70K. But since the primary cost of fuel is actually the "Battery" $35K is a pretty good deal.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
You guys drive those juice mobiles. I'll take gas and oil thank you very much.

The liberals up here piss and moan nobody is buying electric cars. First of all damn few of them are all wheel drive and second of all electricity from the Canucks is $.16 KWh. That ain't cheap power to be charging your car with.

Lastly, 400 miles ain't bad, but......what happens if I need to go 401? Walk the last mile or sit in front of a charger for 8 hours hoping I have an internet connection on my phone? :yum::yum:

We all remember the "good old days" of travel when all the gas stations closed at 10PM and we found ourselves travelling all night to get somewhere.

This would be the answer: https://curiosity.com/topics/you-may-soon-be-able-to-refuel-your-electric-car-in-minutes-curiosity/

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
You're suggesting that $35K* is a lot for a premium car? Or that the Russia POS is worth having at any price....

Not at all, as I said, the $35K is a "stripped" basic Tesla vehicle, If you want a "Premium" one the cost is considerably more.

These are 2016 price guides:
Excluding tax credits, the 2016 Tesla Model S 70 has a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $71,200, including the $1,200 destination charge.
The AWD 70D starts at $76,200, while the RWD Model S 85 starts at $81,200.

Tesla has been around for about 8 (?) years and has is still a business failure, even tho the stock price is up about 2000% from the initial IPO.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not at all, as I said, the $35K is a "stripped" basic Tesla vehicle, If you want a "Premium" one the cost is considerably more.

These are 2016 price guides:
Excluding tax credits, the 2016 Tesla Model S 70 has a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $71,200, including the $1,200 destination charge.
The AWD 70D starts at $76,200, while the RWD Model S 85 starts at $81,200.

Tesla has been around for about 8 (?) years and has is still a business failure, even tho the stock price is up about 2000% from the initial IPO.

You can't actually buy the $35K Tesla. In theory the new compact Tesla Model 3, in stripped down version, is going to cost about $35K. However they are only producing the Model 3 in premium trim, so the actual price for the cheapest Tesla you can actually get is about $50K. And the only people who are getting those premium/$50K Model 3 compact cars are the people who pre-paid their deposit months in advance. Not sure $50K for something about the size of a VW Jetta or Toyota Camry is actually a value, but some people might think so.