• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New to me truck

jwstewar

We've been needing and wanting a new truck for awhile. Used trucks are hard to find that are decent and a fair price. So I looked at a couple this weekend and finally bought this one home last night. It has the L5P Duramax w/ 445 HP and 910 Ft. lbs and the Allison. It is a 2017 w/ 14k miles. Just came off a 1 year lease, it was made in March of 17, so it was toward the end of the model year, so hopefully any issues with the new engine for 2017 were resolved. This will be used to tow our camper and stock trailer around. It won't see a ton of miles, so wasn't overly concerned with features other than the Duramax. It does have the "necessary options" the power windows, locks, keyless entry and stuff. It does have the 8" touch screen with Bluetooth. It was leveled and 20" aftermarket wheels by the dealership. They included the original key's for the torsion bars should I decide to remove the leveling kid.

This thing is just massive compared to the 99 1500 that you can see in the picture.

Attachments

• truckfront.jpg
    truckfront.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 118
  • backoftruck.jpg
    backoftruck.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 117
  • truckandcamper.jpg
    truckandcamper.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Truckoldandnew.jpg
    Truckoldandnew.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 122
  • wettruck.jpg
    wettruck.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 118

jwstewar

Thanks Jerry, hope to have it a really long time. Hopefully I'm done buying vehicles for awhile, that is 3 vehicles I've bought since November - 4 if you count the '93 Z28 Camaro my son bought as a toy. We had to give him a little money, so I guess it counts. Now I'm broke :)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice truck!

Thanks Jerry, hope to have it a really long time. Hopefully I'm done buying vehicles for awhile, that is 3 vehicles I've bought since November - 4 if you count the '93 Z28 Camaro my son bought as a toy. We had to give him a little money, so I guess it counts. Now I'm broke :)
Sounds like you have too many vehicles so why don't you sell me your Tahoe? ;)

ETA: I have the same truck but in 1/2 ton. Couldn't justify the diesel for how little I use it. Going on 2 years now and it only has 4500 miles.

jwstewar

Nice truck!

Sounds like you have too many vehicles so why don't you sell me your Tahoe? ;)

ETA: I have the same truck but in 1/2 ton. Couldn't justify the diesel for how little I use it. Going on 2 years now and it only has 4500 miles.

Yeah, no doubt on too many vehicles. Right now we have 7 licensed vehicles, plus a junk Camaro that Keagan bought for parts.

My wife love's our Suburban, we only 67k miles on it. It is just getting broke in.:thumbup:

jwstewar

Oh, my son is trying to convince us to not sell the '99 Silverado. He wants it. I'm still trying to figure out why a 16 year kid needs 3 vehicles. He says to haul his Camaro to shows. I say he needs to get a job to pay his insurance. :)

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice Duramax. :thumb:

Might as well fix him up with the old silverado. If you sell it and then end up buying something else for him you won't know for sure what you are getting. Probably could save him a few bucks and just carry liability on the 99.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice truck. I'm still debating between a diesel and gas engine. My head says 2500 diesel. My back says a 1500 gas.

jwstewar

Nice Duramax. :thumb:

Might as well fix him up with the old silverado. If you sell it and then end up buying something else for him you won't know for sure what you are getting. Probably could save him a few bucks and just carry liability on the 99.

We are still debating it, but given that we already bought him a 2014 Sonata and he has the Z/28, he doesn't need a 3rd vehicle at 16 when he doesn't work and doesn't pay anything - yes, I know he is spoiled.

Funny thing on the insurance. Our insurance is through Grange, we have a new product line. It is actually cheaper for us to carry full coverage on all vehicles. They actually give a discount for all vehicles having full coverage vs. some having liability only. It is the strangest thing.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
We are still debating it, but given that we already bought him a 2014 Sonata and he has the Z/28, he doesn't need a 3rd vehicle at 16 when he doesn't work and doesn't pay anything - yes, I know he is spoiled.

Funny thing on the insurance. Our insurance is through Grange, we have a new product line. It is actually cheaper for us to carry full coverage on all vehicles. They actually give a discount for all vehicles having full coverage vs. some having liability only. It is the strangest thing.

That makes sense.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WOW that looks nice.

I parked my Nissan Frontier (4 doors/long bed) next to a Chevy that is 6 or 7 years old.

The Chevy had the extended cab, not the full size 4 door cab. Same bed length as mine. Made my little Frontier look like a child's toy sitting next to the Chevy. I imagine my truck would break out in a cold sweat if I parked next to yours. The newest versions from Chevy and from Ford make their older models look small.

One of the main reasons I stuck with a 'compact' pick up is that I could fit it into my garage without having to have a yard sale!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Great truck you have there, sir, and a nice find to be sure.

I stopped by the local Ford dealer today to look at the new F-150 Raptor, just for grins and chuckles. Not to buy, I have no need for a truck like that, I just wanted to check it out and see what all the hype is all about. Well, first off the MSRP is $66,000!!! That was a sobering moment. I am sure there is someone out there that will pay that, but that someone is not me.

Bottom line, my 2005 Ranger FX/4 maintained impeccably over the years still has plenty of life in her and shall remain in my garage for some time to come. :yum::yum:

jwstewar

I thought my '99 had a big alternator at something like 145 amp. This new truck is actually running two alternators. Standard is a 150 Amp alternator, which can be upgraded to a 220 Amp. This truck goes the next step, it has a 220 Amp and a 150 Amp alternator on it. Shouldn't have an issue with running a lot of lights while idling.