• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Pick Up truck Bed Covers ... let's see what you have/hear recommendations?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking for a bed cover for my Nissan Frontier (6' bed)

My neighbor has 2 fiberglass covers on his trucks. Both from LEER. They have a key lock. Seem very secure. Are painted to match his trucks. Look good. But I really don't think a solid bed cover is right for me. His will tilt up about 30 (-ish) degrees so the back is elevated and that allows him to carry SOME items that are SLIGHTLY taller than the bed rails. But to haul things like furniture he needs to remove the cover and store it temporarily. They are heavy and cumbersome and a PITA. So I started looking at other things.

A gun-buddy of mine, who collects Detonics pistols, has a BAK industries FOLDING cover. It looks like a soft cover, sits flush with the rails, but is actually darn study because it has aluminum plates that are nicely covered with vinyl. Folds in 4 sections. Covers the rear window when he drives with it open but it allows for 95% of the bed to be open for bulky cargo. His is the BAK FLIP MX4 model. I is very nice looking. Supports 400# spread over the cover so you can carry some things on top of the cover.

LINK >>> https://bakindustries.com/p-34223-b....html#!year=2014||make=NISSAN||model=FRONTIER

After seeing the BAK folding cover I found they make rolling covers too. I'm looking at the BAK Revolver X2 cover (they make an upgraded X4, same mechanism, matte vinyl instead of semi-gloss vinyl). When rolled up it only covers about 1/3rd of the rear window so you can still see out the back. Like the BAK FLIP, it also supports 400# distributed on top of the cover, like the BAK FLIP it also is constructed with aluminum under the vinyl top.

LINK >>> https://bakindustries.com/p-30253-r....html#!year=2014||make=NISSAN||model=FRONTIER

I have seen a couple other ROLLING HARD covers. TRUXEDO makes a reinforced rolling cover similar to the BAK Revolver X2 but it uses industrial Velcro along the bed rails. Does not seem very secure to me. The Revolver X2 has a cam lock system. Its lower priced than the BAK Revolver X2 but I don't think I would want to own this one.

GATOR also makes one, to my eye it looks nearly identical to the TRUXEDO and and has the industrial velcro attachment along the side rail. No photo below, no link either. Look at the Truxedo and you are pretty much looking at either brand. Not saying they are the same, just saying they are close enough, and operate similarly and I'm not liking either one.

LINK >>> https://tonneaucoversworld.com/shop-by-brand/truxedo/truxedo-titanium-tonneau-cover.html

Not really sure what else is on the market. What other brands do you guys/gals use? What don't you like or do you like about what you have? Anyone have any recommendations? Advantages, disadvantages they can point out. I do know that the folding & rolling covers need to have the snow swept off before they can be retracted. Truck sleeps in a garage so not a big issue there.

Pics below are from the BAK website showing the MX 4 and the Revolver X2 and the Truxedo.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 1.16.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 1.16.23 PM.png
    476.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 1.15.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 1.15.56 PM.png
    224 KB · Views: 125
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 1.17.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 1.17.33 PM.png
    311.6 KB · Views: 130
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 1.18.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 1.18.22 PM.png
    336 KB · Views: 131
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 1.17.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 1.17.45 PM.png
    567.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 1.29.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 1.29.59 PM.png
    345.4 KB · Views: 120

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've always had tonneau covers on my trucks.

My thoughts when looking at covers.
For soft covers:
- Absolutely no snaps. Must be velcro. Snaps never work in the winter.
- Must not cover stake pockets.

For hard covers:
- Must not have drain tubes. Many new hard covers require you to drill holes in the front of your bed and run drain tubes from the cover out the bottom of your truck.
- Must not cover a lot of the back window when not in use (put in stowed position).

OK, those things said, here's the ones I like. If your truck doesn't have a locking tailgate, the security of the hard cover doesn't buy you much.
Both hard and soft covers from https://www.accesscover.com/

I had their "Original" cover on my one truck for almost 12 years. Never had a problem with it and it looked nearly new when I sold the truck. Opened and closed with ease and when rolled up, very little (if any? I don't recall) back window obstruction. Not 100% waterproof in torrential rains but very little water gets in. Actually, more water comes in around the tailgate than the cover.

For a hard cover, I went with their Lomax cover. https://www.agricover.com/lomax/
It's a tri-fold and you can open and drive with any or all of the folds open.

It pops completely out in under a minute. Re-install takes the same. If you are away from home and realize you want/need the cover removed, just pop it out and lean it against the front of your bed and it practically disappears not using much storage space.

Like most, it can hold 400# on top of it.

With any folding hard cover, be careful when you do the folds. If you don't set it down gently when folding, it can ding or slightly dent the panel you're dropping it on to.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a Trifecta cover on my truck. They are really nice and great customer support. Remember when I told you my buddy had a Nissan truck? I bought his cover when he turned the lease in. Fit my truck really good and only cost me 100 bucks. :thumbup:

After I bought it, I called the company and they sent me a complete replacement on the weather stripping. Nice.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Trifecta cover on my truck. They are really nice and great customer support. Remember when I told you my buddy had a Nissan truck? I bought his cover when he turned the lease in. Fit my truck really good and only cost me 100 bucks. :thumbup:

After I bought it, I called the company and they sent me a complete replacement on the weather stripping. Nice.

Looks like the Trifecta is now available in an updated form as the Trifecta 2.0.

LINK >>> https://www.extang.com/p-36825-extang-trifecta-2-0-truck-bed-cover.html

I have a Leonard all canvas folding cover on my truck. Leonard also makes a similar harder cover.

https://www.leonardusa.com/tonneau-truck-caps-tops-fiberglass-bed-covers

I've been happy with mine. It will open in less than a minute to 3/4 open and can be removed quickly. ...

I do like the "Undercover Ultra Flex" as that is very similar to the BAK MX4 folder that my friend has. Looks like it would do what I need.

bczoom said:
I've always had tonneau covers on my trucks.

My thoughts when looking at covers.
For soft covers:
- Absolutely no snaps. Must be velcro. Snaps never work in the winter.

For hard covers:
- Must not have drain tubes. Many new hard covers require you to drill holes in the front of your bed and run drain tubes from the cover out the bottom of your truck.
- Must not cover a lot of the back window when not in use (put in stowed position).
Thanks for this, this is the stuff I don't really know and will be helpful when choosing.

Oh, and FWIW, my tailgate locks.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow, that Trifecta 2.0 is a real upgrade. I can't imagine how it can have more tension as mine is tighter then a snare drum, but who knows? Maybe if I buy one of those new Rangers it shall have one. :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like I am going to end up where I started.

Ordered the BAK Revolver X2

For my truck bed the list price is $1022. BAK has it on sale for $929.

Shooting buddy of mine works at a local shop, he offered it to me for $798 + 7% Indiana Sales Tax which puts it just over $850. The street price seems to be right about that price, or slightly higher, normally. But since BAK has it on sale the price has come down about $20 to $30 at most on-line places.

But I was on-line and found it delivered for $836 at one of the big shops. Contacted them and placed the order. 2 hours later I got a call back and they screwed up the order, not really sure what they did but they said "for my trouble" they would send it out at $795 delivered.

So I'm getting the BAK Industries Revolver X2 rolling hard cover. https://bakindustries.com/i-2179897....html#!year=2014||make=NISSAN||model=FRONTIER

It ticks off every button that BCZOOM mentioned.
  • No Snaps
  • Does not cover stake rail holes
  • No drain tubes
  • Does not cover rear window when open
Also ticks off my personal buttons:
  • Secure as is reasonably possible
  • Hard top
  • Does not cover rear window when open
  • Does not interfere with tailgate operation
  • Locked when tailgate is locked
  • No velcro
  • Slam lock to close/secure
Now BCZOOM had velcro as a benefit over snaps. I agree snaps would be bad. But I looked at velcro on a top like this as a security problem. The big advantage to the BAK Revolver series is that they use a cam lock system that is actually a physical lock at each of the aluminum slats.

I really like the folding covers too, they have only 1 disadvantage that I see and that is they cover the rear window when folded. That is not as big of a disadvantage as it would seem since carrying any tall load (like a lounge chair) in the bed usually ends up blocking the rear view mirror anyway. Still, I am not fond of the idea of blocking the entire rear window.

Should arrive next week.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Interesting concept the way it rolls up like that. Question, how heavy is it when you want to take the whole thing off? Did not see the weight listed in the specs.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting concept the way it rolls up like that. Question, how heavy is it when you want to take the whole thing off? Did not see the weight listed in the specs.

No clue. But since it allows 95% access to the bed when rolled back I doubt I’d ever take it off.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Revised shipping date is March 28 so looks like it will be early April before I get the rolling cover.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got home today and the BAK Revolver X2 rolling aluminum hard cover was leaning up against my front door in a large box.

Someone asked how much it weighs if it ever needs to be taken off. I don't know. But I do know that I was able to lift the 7' long by 16" by 16" box by myself, carry it off the front porch, past 3 garage bays and set it on the back rails of the truck by myself. And given my arthritis and generally 98# weakling status I think that was quite an achievement ... or, maybe the whole thing weighs about 50# including the box, hardware, rail adapters, and the rolling cover itself.

Rolling cover is no doubt the heaviest portion of all that.

The hardware bag maybe weighed a pound. The bed rails that the rolling cover locks into probably weigh a couple pounds each.

I'm taking a break to try to recover from today's tile work, might watch a YouTube installation video, and maybe, maybe might go out and try to do the install this evening. Or not. Maybe I'll just have some bourbon and think about it.

Attachments

• IMG_1727.jpg
    IMG_1727.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1728.jpg
    IMG_1728.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1729.jpg
    IMG_1729.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 97

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Skipped the bourbon tonight.

Watched the generic install video >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=130&v=2IWrIHeGL0M

Grabbed a socket wrench and 2 sockets.

45 minutes later the bed cover is installed.

Should have been about to do it in about 25 minutes but I found that every time I had to get on my back to reach under the cover to tighten down on of the bolts it would take me 5 minutes of flailing around like an upside down turtle to get back up :unsure:

I am more impressed with this thing now that I see it in person. There is NO WAY a knife will cut thought this. The aluminum slats are interlocked to each other. And they physically lock at the side rails.

I initially thought the aluminum slats were held together by the vinyl top. The vinyl is just decoration, camouflage for the aluminum and adds a water proof membrane.

Is this 100% waterproof, no. I can imagine that some rain can get in at the tailgate. It would take a lot of wind/force for rain to get in at the cab end or along the side rails but its possible.

Is it secure? As secure as is reasonable. The locking rails are held in place with 5 very solid clamps on each side of the 6' rail. I cannot imagine a reasonable scenario where the side rails will be successfully pried off. The rolling top locks INTO the locking rails about every 2 inches with 1.5" cams. It would take a huge amount of force to break this open between the rolling top and the locking rails. And the top itself is extruded aluminum slats, interlocking into each other.

The LIKELY way to break into the bed, when this is down, is to break open the tailgate lock. That is the easiest way to get into the cargo area. The next possible way would be to pry up from the rear and bend the extruded aluminum slats, but that seems like it would be far more effort than popping the lock on the tailgate.

I like the FLUSH fit too. It sits about 1/4" above the original rails and that is really just the weatherstripping. All the mechanisms are underneath. Very clean lines, very secure, very nice look.

Attachments

• cvzgnTtSShagzwK7SvUbdg.jpg
    cvzgnTtSShagzwK7SvUbdg.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 88
  • oH5eJqFGTymS+dnFrZ3c5g.jpg
    oH5eJqFGTymS+dnFrZ3c5g.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 92
  • jquptylZQiilhpln1CBeXA.jpg
    jquptylZQiilhpln1CBeXA.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 85
  • ySKs8JZhQC+Bz5A5EmfB+g.jpg
    ySKs8JZhQC+Bz5A5EmfB+g.jpg