• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cracked exhaust manifold

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The Ford has had a cracked manifold for a while. They aren't cheap nor easy to replace. Basically I was looking at nearly a $2000 bill to have it changed. None of the exhaust garages want to do them since the studs break off inside the block. So I started looking at an easier way to do it.

I came across a product called quiksteel that's rated for 2400 degrees Fahrenheit. You basically clean the area. Use a drommel to gouge the Crack. Then mix the paste and apply. It sets in about 20 minutes. I tore into the truck this morning and basically just removed the front tire and plastic inner fender to expose the manifold. I then cleaned it up with a wire wheel bit on the drill. Then gouged the Crack and filled it. So far it seems to have worked. We'll see how it lasts.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
7775abfdd241acd1c38c7f6cef19cc1d.jpg

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've used quiksteel before. Good stuff. Never tried it on an exhaust manifold but let's hope it holds!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The pkg says it's good for exhaust manifolds. We shall see. So far big improvement. Let's hope it lasts.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I would love a report to the manifolds normally crack due to expansion my jeep also has some cracks an I would love to fix it tried welding the last one I had no success and about all the old ones I find are also cracked.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'll be sure to update. Not 100% convinced that it'll hold but for .$10 and about an hour labor to access it I'll try.

You can't see but I also applied some underneath the manifold. I don't think I was able to get it all underneath since I was applying it blind. I may get another container and ask a buddy who has access to a shop with a hoist so I can get it up in the air so I can see the bottom half. Kind of hard for me to lay on a crawler on the garage floor right now.

Here's the link to the stuff. http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Magic-18003-QuikSteel-Temperature/dp/B0084AA2LK#

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Reading up on the quiksteel it's supposed to get stronger as heat is applied. Some reviews say it only lasted a short time before crumbling apart.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So far the stuff is holding. The truck is a lot quieter. I'm impressed for a $10 quick fix it's not bad. Heck. Even if I have to do it again in a few months it's worth it to avoid a $2000 bill.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Update time. So I opened my wallet and ordered a new manifold for the passenger side and had the local ford dealership install it. The new manifold was better but still cracked within a month. I got refunded the money for the part but was out the labor. So I finally got a replacement installed last week. Much better now. No more sucking exhaust fumes. No more cranking the stereo to drown out the exhaust.

All that said, the driver's side is also cracked but nowhere near the amount the passenger side was. I did more research and discovered a redneck hack to repair a cracked manifold. It's called furnace cement. It's rated for almost twice the temperature of quicksteel at 2700 F. It's designed to expand and contract. Sticks to metal. We'll see how it performs.

https://m.homehardware.ca/h5/m/en/r...-and-Furnace-Cement/_/N-ntil0Z2ppr/R-I2045101

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I just wonder if,in the long run,it would be cheaper to have aftermarket tube headers installed.
Mike

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just wonder if,in the long run,it would be cheaper to have aftermarket tube headers installed.
Mike
even if it costs the same you'd have the sweet rumble of headers. So kewl. Good idea. :thumb:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That'd be cool! The plan for this truck is up in the air at the moment. Not quite sure what we're doing yet for vehicles in the next year or so. I'm waiting for my whole case to be settled for the accident before deciding what to do. Ideally I'd love a new f150 or tundra sitting in the yard but with the amount of kids we have and the little bit of mileage I put on these days, this one should last a while now that everything is pretty much new on it. I may just keep it for a plow truck when we get a bigger house with some acreage.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk