• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ran off the road to avoid a head on collision

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wife and I were driving northbound on a 2 lane country road at 5:30pm. Weather conditions clear, 68 degrees (F). Roadway dry. Probably 45 to 50mph. Speed limit is 45mph.

I see a white sedan coming toward us in the southbound lane, he's a 1/4 mile away. But we are closing distance and everything is normal. He is in his lane. I'm in my lane.

Next thing I know, he's crossing the center line coming at us. TEXTING ON HIS PHONE

I swerve off the road into the grass. He missed me by less than 12". Wife is screaming, she thinks we are going to die. Fortunately no deep ditch at that point along the roadway. Maintain momentum and pull the car back onto the roadway. I looked in my rearview and he was fully in my lane. His brake lights were lit up and I watched as he jerked back into his lane.

I honestly don't believe I could have maintained control of the vehicle if I was driving one of our other vehicles but I was in my Audi A6, which handles exceptionally well. I'd possibly have rolled my Touareg in the small ditch that existed along the road where I went off the pavement.

FUCKING ASSHOLE :hammer:

If I was not on my way to the airport to pick up Melen I'd have probably turned the car around and chased him down to beat his scrawny ass.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Sounds like Phoenix there have been a lot of those wrong way drivers here this year. I'm glad you made out okay.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
my neighbor hit mirrors with one. glad your safe.
do you think a dash cam of it would get them a ticket?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Wife and I were driving northbound on a 2 lane country road at 5:30pm. Weather conditions clear, 68 degrees (F). Roadway dry. Probably 45 to 50mph. Speed limit is 45mph.

I see a white sedan coming toward us in the southbound lane, he's a 1/4 mile away. But we are closing distance and everything is normal. He is in his lane. I'm in my lane.

Next thing I know, he's crossing the center line coming at us. TEXTING ON HIS PHONE

I swerve off the road into the grass. He missed me by less than 12". Wife is screaming, she thinks we are going to die. Fortunately no deep ditch at that point along the roadway. Maintain momentum and pull the car back onto the roadway. I looked in my rearview and he was fully in my lane. His brake lights were lit up and I watched as he jerked back into his lane.

I honestly don't believe I could have maintained control of the vehicle if I was driving one of our other vehicles but I was in my Audi A6, which handles exceptionally well. I'd possibly have rolled my Touareg in the small ditch that existed along the road where I went off the pavement.

FUCKING ASSHOLE :hammer:

If I was not on my way to the airport to pick up Melen I'd have probably turned the car around and chased him down to beat his scrawny ass.

I am glad you and the missus are alright. Sheetmetal can be replaced. Body parts not so much. After determining all hands are find, albeit a little shook up, glad the A6 is fine too.

Never and I mean never chase or follow someone like that. Count you blessings you guys are alright and move on with your life. Road rage leads to spur of the moment bad decisions one after the other as the situation escalates and inevitably spirals out of control. It is not worth it. You can fix dumb, but you can never fix stupid. Ask me how I know, someday.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am glad you were paying attention and actually driving the car... :flowers:

More than most do these days. Texting is a very dangerous thing to do while driving. I wish more people would feel that way..

Regards, Kirk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Glad you are ok. I've been an advocate that cell phones should be outlawed everywhere while driving. They are supposed to be up here but every day I see people yacking on their cells or texting while driving

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
One more case advocating "situational awareness." Remember most accidents involve two fools. Glad you aren't one.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
my neighbor hit mirrors with one. glad your safe.
do you think a dash cam of it would get them a ticket?

It would have to be a high enough resolution camera, with a high enough frame rate, to actually capture a clear image of his face while I was jerking my car off the roadway. Not sure that the technology is good enough for that???

Interesting legal side note ... this happened on State Line Road. He was southbound in Will County, ILLINOIS. I was northbound in Lake County, INDIANA.

I believe it is illegal to text and drive in Illinois.

I don't believe it is illegal to text and drive in Indiana.

Clearly he crossed the centerline and was in Indiana at the time I was forced off the road.

Reckless driving ticket from Indiana & texting while driving ticket from Illinois?

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Glad you both came out unscathed and nice driving!! I won't even talk on the cell while driving. If Linda is with me I hand the phone to her, if not I'll return the call when I'm stopped.
Mike