• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

'67 Kaiser Jeepstet Deluxe Convertible

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Buried behind a bunch of stuff, finally got it unburied.

Pumped the gas pedal 2 or 3 times, turned the key and it fired up. Probably ran better than it has since I trailered it home.

Cleaned it up, took it to town and filled the tank, all good.

Drove it to a graduation party this afternoon. Leaving the party I put the key in the ignition, bent it :doh: Started it, shifted into reverse. Stalled. :glare: Restarted instantly, shifted into reverse. Stalled again. :neutral: Restarted again, ran it a bit, shifted into reverse. Stalled a 3rd time :sad:

Finally got out of the driveway and stalled it in the road :doh:

Ran perfectly the rest of the journey home. Going to have to get a new key cut. Probably spend the big bucks and get 2 keys cut ... because I had such good luck with it this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0974.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 120

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's sweet.

Its got a few issues.

The radio doesn't work. The side mirrors flop around in the wind. Gas gauge reads 1/2 full with a full tank. The chrome parts need re-plating but I have no desire to have that done. And the 4wd has not been engaged in over a decade and I have no clue if it even works.

But it is fun to drive. 88,000 miles on the ticker. People wave when they see it. Even had people stop just to chat about it.

Believe it or not, it has a factory automatic transmission. Manual steering and manual brakes. Seems like an odd combination to have a power tranny with manual steering/brakes, but its all factory.

Once its warmed up it runs very well. It just takes time to warm up.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
That is very nice. I liked those jeeps a lot back in the day. I had a 72 Jeep Commando, the one with the Studebaker front fenders. I loved that Jeep.

I don't think I've seen a lot of those ragtops in 4WD. Again, very nice.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is very nice. I liked those jeeps a lot back in the day. I had a 72 Jeep Commando, the one with the Studebaker front fenders. I loved that Jeep.

I don't think I've seen a lot of those ragtops in 4WD. Again, very nice.

Thanks. Bought it about 10 years ago for my daughter to drive back and forth to high school, decided that I liked it too much so I kept it. It had a lot of rust back then, the floors were pretty much paper thin and full of pin holes. Body was in good shape but paint was dull and miserable. Tires were dry rotted and literally tore themselves apart driving from the house to the garage. I do have the original seats wrapped up and stored on a shelf in the garage in case it should ever be put back to original, but the high backs are more comfortable and safer.

Every year there are things to repair and replace but mostly fairly simple. Then again, the car predates computers so there are no micro-chips to diagnose for failure, no modules to test. Its all pretty simple stuff under the hood so even a guy like me can do much of the work. Few years ago I replaced the distributor and a few other bits under the hood. Couple years ago I patched the fuel line. Last year pulled the fuel tank as there was a leak at the fuel sender.

Other than the body shop/paint work I've done most of the work myself and with some buddies at the house.

One thing I'd actually like to explore is fuel injection conversion. But that is probably a much bigger project than I imagine. I've also thought about electronic ignition to replace the distributor, which shouldn't be a big project at all.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah electronic ignition would be a good upgrade.
Might the stalling have been caused by old gas or water in the gas? An additive would take care of that in short order.