• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wife Bought a new "OLD" car

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
We like minivans. Had them since 1984. I've run the wheels off several @ well over 200K. Her current '99 Grand caravan has, however, begun to fail a little too often. 300K on the clock.

AC went the other day and that was it.

Crumpy was so excited last year over the Chrysler Pacifica. But the more she looked at them the less she liked them And none of the available colours made her happy. So we were kinda holding out fort the new model year and hoping something she liked came along.

And then her '99 caravan went in the shop "AGAIN"

So, as I was perusing through some E-Bay stuff, she saw this on my "saved" screen and went for it. Blue on Blue on Blue.

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan HIGH TOP ES 87K Miles - Florida 1 OWNER | eBay
It's a 2002 with relatively low mileage. (Her '99 has 300K on the clock) I won't tell you what we paid but it was quite a bit less than asking. I was surprised they excepted her offer.

So she is flying down to Tampa with the grandkids for a week end at Bush Gardens and a trip home with the new minivan. I do hope it runs as good as it looks..

We had put about $10K aside for a down payment on what ever new car she finally bought. But, that would still mean payments for at least four years. I hate car payments. Now, instead, we have a nice sum (assuming she doesn't blow it in Tampa on the Grandkids) set aside for other stuff on the wish list.

Maybe that sailboat is still in our future.:whistling:

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I just hope it runs great. By all known accounts it had an easy life in the Tampa Florida area with one owner who apparently didn't drive it much. One tiny front bump that left a small scratch on the cover is the only serious incident on the record.

I has been my opinion and experience that 2002 was likely the last of the quality products out of Chrysler. That's when Daimler left and a group of bean (Cerberus and Nardelli)counters took over. Over the years 2002 to 2011, they stripped all value out of the product line. I own a 2006 that proves my contention.

That said,
By appearances, this one looks to be a gem.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice find. If that was a 2002 up here with any mileage at all on it the thing would be a rust bucket.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice! Congrats Franc.
I agree with Fred. That's how you do it. New car depreciation sucks. And one owner vehicles are always prefered. The 50/50 warranty is a nice touch.