• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Yawn. Waking up at 5am with no place to go sucks.

Today's big plans include a telephone appointment with my surgeon to get the results of the scope I had back in March and the new (to me) snowmobile is being delivered from Nipigon (an hour away)

It's a package deal. A 2012 arctic xf800 sno pro and the trailer it's sitting on. The trailer needs a new deck installed and the front corner was hit at some point so I got it for a good price.
eec24fc296e395a7773b4b1b9943002b.jpg
43ed266888241b3f068c582afa622424.jpg

Nice setup and sounds like you purchased that right. I see your snow is gone now. We have more coming in for Sunday/Monday. Sure glad spring came when it did, I was getting sick of winter. :th_lmao:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes. The setup will be good once the trailer gets some TLC this summer. It's a dual axle 10ft double wide. As I said, the trailer is going to need some work. New deck. The driver's side front corner is a bit mangled. The frame and tongue are good. It's just the extension to the edge of the deck and the front cross brace for the deck. I'll get it straightened out.

I wanted to get a double trailer to haul both sleds. The 10ft flat deck I have is a good utility trailer and ok for one machine but too narrow for both.
92786f3ed6842371f209a3a67e100807.jpg

a376950a6d252021d0b7ab8c8c28d26a.jpg

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Another thrilling day at work.
My life lately.. resident/patient care.
Eating, sleeping.
My "uncle Harry" passed on Friday evening at the age of 100.
He wasn't really my uncle, but we always called him that.
Aunt Rosie's boyfriend since as far back as I can remember.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Aww. Sorry to hear that pg. I know what it's like to lose a patient. When I worked with the disabled, we lost a few due to age, medical conditions etc. It never gets easier.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PG, sometimes the 'uncles' and 'aunts' in our lives that are family friends are much closer than our biological relatives. Sorry for the loss of someone close to you.

Probably watching the 8:30am televised Catholic mass on TV

This afternoon hoping to get the motorcycles out for a nice afternoon ride. Temps are expected to hit 60 today. It's been raining and in the 40s for the past week (seems like forever). The constant rains stopped before dawn and the asphalt is starting to dry. We might even have a glimpse of the sun at some point today. Of course, temps will drop again tonight, frost warnings have already been issued. So if today may be a nice change in the weather pattern.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I picked up a load of lumber Friday, 16'long treated 2x4's and some cedar ones as well. As I moved the trailer/truck to the other side of the lot I had to make a sudden stop. 2X4's sled forward and took out a tail light. As I turned to get off the road, I bent the lowered tailgate against the trailer frame.

Yeah the new one I just installed.

I simply forgot the gate was down.

It is hell getting old.
Yesterday was cold rain all day so nothing outside got done. Today is sunny but still cool. I'll be hanging a gate and digging postholes.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday, the temperature was nice but it was far too windy to spray. I spent the afternoon gathering up branches and piling them where the guys are working on my downed trees. I quit when my back started to really hurt.

Today my back still hurts. I think that is going to be a fact of life from now on. It's a beautiful day and no wind. This afternoon I'm going down in to the gully and spray and also get the top and backside of the dam. If I take it slow it should be okay.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I spent a good part of the day outside moving things around the yard. First job was uncovering the lawn tractor and 2 quads and installing the batteries. Followed by the great Canadian trailer shuffle. Move the small trailer with the side by side so I could move the snowmobile trailer to where the small one was sitting. Then hook up the flat deck and move it over beside the snowmobile trailer.

Then I started tearing the old plywood decking off the snowmobile trailer to get it ready for new material. By that time, it was time to come in for lunch then I sat down to order a couple sheets of treated plywood and some metal to repair the front corner. I'm also building a new ramp for the trailer. It'll be good for years.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Been mowing down the weeds on the property with the tractor the last two mornings until it starts getting hot. Been having to work on it this year as I go. First the fan belt broke and its a job putting on a new one due to the hydraulic pump drive from the crank. So i had some adjustable V belts from a conveyor job but you have to keep taking links out as it stretches about every two hours. Then when I started it this morning the front loader wouldn't go up so I added some fluid. After my mowing session I see where the fluid is going, a hose going to the pump is leaking so thats something else to fix in the morning. Then I took a little time for some target practice.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
My "uncle Harry" passed on Friday evening at the age of 100.
He wasn't really my uncle, but we always called him that.
Aunt Rosie's boyfriend since as far back as I can remember.

I'm sorry to hear this. He did live to be 100 but sad.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
No rest for the wicked. After supper I looked out at the flat deck trailer sitting there all rusty and pitiful looking. I picked up a gallon of black paint yesterday for odd projects around here so off to the garage I went. The plan was to grind down the rust and loose paint this evening and paint tomorrow. I'm done painting the outside now. Tomorrow I'll finish the inside and start on cleaning the garage.
bb6a3f091493ed88bfc9225e8a8c2b4a.jpg
130e12c697305c6c2e6df1f280a11b9b.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, after lunch the first thing that I did was season the new Blackstone griddle that we got for Christmas. It was to be used with the motorhome but since it doesn't look as if that is going to move this year I never felt any desperate need to get it done. Now it is all shiny and slick, waiting for its first use.

I started to spray the gully. I got one half of it done. Man, it's a nail biter running up and down those slopes. I came back to the house and mixed up another 50 gallons and headed out for the far side. On the way round there I found another tree that was blown over in the Easter Sunday storm. I also found a big freekin' hole that was camouflaged by tall grass. I'm glad that I was going slow because the little tractor came to a sudden halt and rattled me around a bit. I'm also glad that I was strapped in but it did jerk the hell out of my back. After sitting there for 5 minutes and letting things settle back down I decided that enough was enough, got myself out of the hole and limped home. We'll do battle again tomorrow after I go shopping at Tractor Supply.

I think that I may get the big tractor out and do some mowing first and then, maybe, I'll be able to see the damned holes!!!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sorry to hear this. He did live to be 100 but sad.

Thanks Lenny and that's true.
He and Aunt Rosie were Christian Scientists.
There won't be any special funeral services because they don't believe in that sort of thing.
My one Aunt who lives in Illinois said there will be a remembrance service though.
Great memories of those two!
They travelled the globe, lived large and loved life.
Certainly a life to look back on and be celebrated. :smile:

Well, I have today off.
By the time I got home last night my brain was total fuzz.
I'll take it easy.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I was talking to one of the maintenance guys re-doing the apartment next to me.
He used to be the maintenance director where I work until he retired from there.
Looks like the young couple will be moving in next week.

Right now I feel like a kid who is being forced to bed early because it's a school night.
Being up at 6 just isn't that easy lately.
Bah..

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday was a flop. Between being sore from the day before and it being only +3celcius and raining, I barely left the chair.

Today is parole day aka dump day. I'll be working on that this afternoon.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Today I was supposed to mow the yard before the rain and storms came in tonight. This morning I woke to the sound of thunder and lightening. That put an end to that. Yesterday I brought the little tractor with the FEL and box blade up to the house. I was going to use it to move dirt and fill in and level the holes left by the root balls of the trees we lost in the last big storm. One of the front tires on the little tractor was flat. What is happening to me lately! It wouldn't hold air at all. I jacked it up and took the wheel off, loaded it in the truck and headed to town to get it fixed. It didn't take long and I was back home.

My wife told me that more bad storms were supposed to roll in this evening. I thought that I better get the Yamaha generator up and running and for that I needed a battery. Back in to town I go to get a new battery, bring it home and get it installed. It's running like a sweetie. I'm ready for tonight but the weather right now actually looks pretty good.

I'm about to go outside and put the front wheel back on the tractor. I'm not looking forward to it. It is always a bugger getting everything lined up and bolted back together. It is a back killer. No sense in sitting here thinking about it, better just go and do it.

Edit. Well that was easy! I had the axle at the absolute perfect height, a couple of rugs and tugs and the holes lined up, a swift push and the sucker slid right on there. I bolted it on quick before anything happened and I'm ready to go. It's nice when something goes well for a change. We've had some tough luck around here lately.

Last edited:

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
I took about a 25 mile country drive for something to do but that's about it for me. Effective May 1, restaurants, bars and gyms will be able to open up to 50% capacity, so I'll be able to go to the gym....YAY! It's a small gym and I'm the only one who is usually there at 8-9 AM, so it's all good.....they give us a code to open the door. One of the nice things about small towns.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
After the dump run I did some more shuffling of things around the yard. I have my dads boat and truck camper stored in behind the garage along with my truck camper and tent trailer. So I moved the boat out so I could park the plow truck there.

After supper I grabbed the two oldest boys to go pick up an 8ft long picnic table for camp to replace the 2 rusted metal ones there.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
With my back acting up the way it is I'm limited to 3 or 4 hours work a day but I'm so thankful for those few hours outside doing something.

I'm glad to see that others are keeping busy too in these troubled times. There's a lot to be said for a little bit of space and the ability to go "piddle" or work if you want to call it that. It helps to keep us all sane.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
With my back acting up the way it is I'm limited to 3 or 4 hours work a day but I'm so thankful for those few hours outside doing something.

I'm glad to see that others are keeping busy too in these troubled times. There's a lot to be said for a little bit of space and the ability to go "piddle" or work if you want to call it that. It helps to keep us all sane.
I could have written that word for word. That's me in a nutshell. Some days my back just says f it and I can't do anything. I'm glad for the chance to get outside and do something. Anything. Even if it's only a simple task.

Today's task is trying to get the Jacobsen tractor fired up.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Today is a 55 degree in-the-house RAIN day.

Yesterday was 75 and sunny. Took 2 trips to the town north of here, there is a garden center on the edge of town. Walked inside with my mask on. I was the only one there wearing a mask. No social distancing inside that I could see, the staff was chatting with each other, and with customers, all in close proximity. There were no plexiglas shields for the cashiers.

I order a yard of bulk mulch. Paid. Moved my truck around back, guy used a skid steer to dump in a couple full buckets and I drove way.

At no time did I wear a mask outside, nor were the outside workers. But I was pretty surprised when I was inside the store area and people were proceeding as business as usual with no social distancing. Picked up one load before lunch. Another load late afternoon. Same observations both trips.

How about coming by for a visit? :hide:
:th_lmao:

Bannedjoe

I have one last door project I'm hoping to accomplish today.
The plan is to install this bad boy.
I have one, maybe two friends coming over to help.
Assuming I measured correctly, this should go in relatively easy.
The one I wanted opens on either side, but it wasn't in stock, and was a month out if ordered.
I like the idea of the blinds inside the glass.
Sadly, when the strings deteriorate in 10 years or so, the only solution is to have the Jeld-Wen folks do the repair.

The much much more expensive units open to address the blinds, but I'm just not rich enough to spend untold thousands on a such a door when there's still so much to do on other things.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 7.44.50 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 7.44.50 AM.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 48

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
At no time did I wear a mask outside, nor were the outside workers. But I was pretty surprised when I was inside the store area and people were proceeding as business as usual with no social distancing. Picked up one load before lunch. Another load late afternoon. Same observations both trips.

I've only been in to town and around people a few times in the past 6 weeks but those are my observations exactly. I don't know how to feel about it. On one hand, being ultra high risk, I feel threatened by it and on the other hand with only 7 cases in the whole county, I can understand people feeling the risk is so low that screw all these restrictions. Me? With Gov Abbott starting to lift some of the closure orders on Friday, I'm going to continue house arrest for another two or three weeks to see how things go. We'll just wait and see.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've only been in to town and around people a few times in the past 6 weeks but those are my observations exactly. I don't know how to feel about it. On one hand, being ultra high risk, I feel threatened by it and on the other hand with only 7 cases in the whole county, I can understand people feeling the risk is so low that screw all these restrictions. Me? With Gov Abbott starting to lift some of the closure orders on Friday, I'm going to continue house arrest for another two or three weeks to see how things go. We'll just wait and see.
I agree Frank. Same observations here. I was in the store yesterday for the first time in 5 weeks, some wore masks but at least half did not. Most did observe social distancing 6 ft unless passing in a tight spot. No coughing or sneezing observed thank goodness. ...well, I take that back, our cashier was wearing a mask but was coughing a few times while we were checking out. She appeared to be 70 or so. I felt for her having to work that job in these conditions. We all complained of the temp in the store. It was mid 70's outside and at least that in the store. uncomfortable. Especially with a mask.

I plan to do the same as far as not rush out when the all clear is given. I'll wait back and see how things go. No rush to get back into the rat race.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Today is a 55 degree in-the-house RAIN day.

Yesterday was 75 and sunny. Took 2 trips to the town north of here, there is a garden center on the edge of town. Walked inside with my mask on. I was the only one there wearing a mask. No social distancing inside that I could see, the staff was chatting with each other, and with customers, all in close proximity. There were no plexiglas shields for the cashiers.

I order a yard of bulk mulch. Paid. Moved my truck around back, guy used a skid steer to dump in a couple full buckets and I drove way.

:th_lmao:
55 degree and rain here today. Glad I mowed the grass yesterday. The fence project is off limits. today So I'm asked to do some "honey dew,'s" in side the house. Ugh!

Was at the grocer today and once again, the store layout is different for checkout. Even so much as to replace the new sleek belt systems with the old wider style with no impulse retail space behind it. All the clerks were wearing masks. About half the customers were also. I'm stillgoing around in commando mode.

Still no TP on the shelf. Just a sign warning people ONLY TWO PER CUSTOMER!:th_lmao:

Going to SAM's today and check out red meats. The local grocer had very little selection.

We will be going to the ranch on Thursday. Hope it stops raining so we can get some things done. If not, the sailboat needs a checkup on it visit. Hopefully, the Marina is now open.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have one last door project I'm hoping to accomplish today.
The plan is to install this bad boy.
I have one, maybe two friends coming over to help.
Assuming I measured correctly, this should go in relatively easy.
The one I wanted opens on either side, but it wasn't in stock, and was a month out if ordered.
I like the idea of the blinds inside the glass.
Sadly, when the strings deteriorate in 10 years or so, the only solution is to have the Jeld-Wen folks do the repair.

The much much more expensive units open to address the blinds, but I'm just not rich enough to spend untold thousands on a such a door when there's still so much to do on other things.

Joe, I put a single door like yours on the mud room in 2004. Blinds are still doing fine! I think it was the same brand but don’t remember for sure.

Jim

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Joe, good luck with the door install. As always, we need photos!

I've only been in to town and around people a few times in the past 6 weeks but those are my observations exactly. I don't know how to feel about it. On one hand, being ultra high risk, I feel threatened by it and on the other hand with only 7 cases in the whole county, I can understand people feeling the risk is so low that screw all these restrictions....

The garden center is north of my property by about 7 miles, but is still in the south end of my county. Relatively lower risk. But the risk is getting more and more widespread here. We have nearly 2000 known cases in my county. It has spread from the north to the south. I'd say there is no place in the county that the risk is low enough to be "inside" the social distance range, or inside a store, for people. Not just high risk people. It's here. All over here.

I was not in fear while I was there, I had my mask, a medical grade N95 mask. I kept my distance. Just noticed that nobody else seemed to do that.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Reclaiming the property from winter, cutting grass with the tractor for days, its a love hate thing with all of the trees. It takes about a week of 4 hours a day and if you don't time it right you get to do it twice. I am about 3/4 done. Then the yard around the house. I am ripping out a lot of old overgrown shrubs and starting over. Tomorrow me and a buddy are going make the cabin trip play around a little and hook the spring back to the water tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 38
Status
Not open for further replies.