• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Temps dropped & furnace isn't starting

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Its that time of the year again.

Been fidgeting with the furnace to try to coax some life out of it, even tried kicking it like I saw Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor do on a re-run of Home Improvement.

Looks like I might need to break out a bigger hammer and some duct tape.

Things are getting dire.

Good thing we have that 72 hour emergency food kit because visions of the DONNER PARTY have been creeping into our thoughts as the temperature dropped down 1 more degree to a bone chilling 65 degrees.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
65° - Oh my. We're in the 30's at night.

Is it your heat pump or indoor furnace that's not working? If indoor furnace, is it electric or gas?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Started ours this morning.
Woke up freezing.
Both of us are sick now.
Not fun.

Hope you get it fixed soon Bob.
The chilly is here to stay.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I just checked our oil furnace to make sure everything is copasetic. Cleaned the filter so that is good to go and have a full tank of fuel oil. Paid $3.02 a gallon. :hammer:

Also have a full tank of propane, 6 tons of wood pellets and 8 cord of firewood cut. I think I am ready for whatever winter wants to throw at us. I should really not be saying that.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
65° - Oh my. We're in the 30's at night.

Is it your heat pump or indoor furnace that's not working? If indoor furnace, is it electric or gas?

Outdoor thermometer is reading 32, there is frost on the lawn.

We have a gas furnace.

Did a full reset of the system last night. Didn't work. Blew out the condensation trap. Didn't work. Kicked it. Nothing. Went to bed.

This morning I fidgeted with it.

Still nothing.

Switched the whole system off again. Left it off for 30 minutes while I played on the computer. Switched it on again and magic happened. It started up. Went down to the furnace room to see the miracle of fire in a steel box. Clicking of the ignition was followed by the sound of the gas lighting up. Life is good again.