• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Windows 7 / Windows Live Mail

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I recently picked up a new laptop, partly because it came with Windows 7 and I wanted to try it out. So far Windows 7 is awesome. Easy transition from XP along with enough new bells and whistles.

One thing they didn't include was mail. I had to go to what they call 'essentials' and download some add ons ....one of them being Live Mail.

Live Mail is kinda cool. It previews on the right side rather than bottom of the screen, and works well so far. One big frustration is I can't find the send / receive button. I can create an email and it will sit in the outbox. Eventually it gets sent but it takes a bit. Also I cannot check for mail with the send / receive button. I've looked all over but cannot find it. Anyone had this issue and found a solution?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm thinking of getting a new PC (with Windows 7). If it's like XP, does F5 (send/receive) work?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Live mail is free mail. I had my hotmail hacked. Live is hotmail. Hotmail / Live / MS could give a shit about you; they certainly didn't give a shit about me.

I learned my lesson. Stay away from live. Stay away from Hotmail.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
F5 does not do send or receive.

Live mail can work with hotmail but it will also work with mail from any mail server. I'm using it for mail from my forums forums mail server, and it works okay so far.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
On the new PC i have just built i have installed 7 and i am running Mozilla Thunderbird for my mail,no answer for your problem Doc but i do prefer my option.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thunderbird is okay, but I've had issues with it when I get a whole bunch of messages stored. It's good for 6 months and then it slows way down. If windows live mail turns out not to be to my liking I'll most likely migrate to Thunderbird, but I am looking for other options.

jwstewar

Don't know Doc. I haven't played with Windows 7 much. But I'll let you know in a few days or so. Just ordered everything last night to build a new PC and ordered Windows 7 Home Premium. Though I have a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate that I'll probably use and put this on the existing computer.

Back ground on why I orderd. We took the power surge back in May. It took out our desktop computer. I bought the parts for it and fixed it. When I turned the receipts in to the insurance company they ignored them and gave me the "money" for a new one - less depreciation. In order to get the depreciation money I have to buy/build a new computer. So eseentially I'm getting a new PC for the $400 it cost me to fix my old one - which isn't really that old 2 years. A Dual Core P4 running at 3.2 GHz with 4 GB of RAM. So the kids will be getting a pretty decent machine for the basement.