• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

A moment in history

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
President Andrew Jackson was the first and only President in the history to pay off the National Debt. He worked tirelessly to rescind the charter of the Second Bank of the United States. His reasons for abolishing the bank were:
  • It concentrated the nation's financial strength in a single institution.
  • It exposed the government to control by foreign interests.
  • It served mainly to make the rich richer.
  • It exercised too much control over members of Congress.
  • It favored northeastern states over southern and western states.
President Jackson believed that only Congress should be responsible for the issuance and control of the currency. Delegating that duty to powerful New York bankers was distasteful to him.
"If Congress has the right to issue paper money, it was given to them to be used ... and not to be delegated to individuals or corporations"

President Andrew Jackson, Vetoed Bank Bill of 1836

President Jackson, shown here "driving out the devils and money changers" with his order to withdraw public money from the central bank
-Edward Clay lithograph, published 1833

President Jackson’s honesty and anger at the bankers should resonate today, as bankers have again brought our country to its knees.

“Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time and I am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter, I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I intend to rout you out, and by the grace of the Eternal God, will rout you out.”

A President with Jackson’s strength of character would put the blame where it belongs today. He would rout out these criminal bankers, rather than give them more taxpayer money to squander. A President with a moral backbone would put an end to the disastrous 96 year experiment of the Federal Reserve.

Instead our last two spineless Presidents have put Goldman Sachs bankers in charge of our national Treasury. An examination of inflation throughout the history of the United States proves that from the beginning of our nation through wars and the Industrial Revolution, the country experienced virtually no inflation as our currency was backed by gold. The creation of the Federal Reserve in 1913 and the closing of the gold window in 1971 unleashed a tsunami of inflation that continues today.
http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/quinn/2009/0311.html

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with you that the bankers are at fault, but our congress passed laws forcing them to give out loans to marginally qualified applicants.
Something I had not thought of before: I wonder if the bank lobbyists wanted congress to make them do that? Would not make sense to me but if my business were forced to do something that put the business as a whole at risk, wouldn't you think they'd fight and make some noise over the issue?
Good for President Jackson. He had a good head on his shoulders. We need a man like him now!

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I agree with you that the bankers are at fault, but our congress passed laws forcing them to give out loans to marginally qualified applicants.
Something I had not thought of before: I wonder if the bank lobbyists wanted congress to make them do that? Would not make sense to me but if my business were forced to do something that put the business as a whole at risk, wouldn't you think they'd fight and make some noise over the issue?
Good for President Jackson. He had a good head on his shoulders. We need a man like him now!

Hmmm. Good question. Hence the bailouts? They must have received some major guarantees in order to undertake such risks. That, or they thought the potential gains exceeded the potential risk.... so they gambled and lost....