• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Lower-48 Snow-Trac on eBay

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you need parts you may want to call him.

He has small wheels
Carbs
Pumps
grousers
guides
an extra soft top frame
seat base and original seat
speedo cable complete
Variator belt new, one on machine is new as well.

The family has no idea what they have.
Grandpa worked a lot on the machine and I met the mechanic that did most of the work.
parts came from Over seas. reciepts for all of it. manual too. soft top sales literature too.
The rear of the machine was configured (the way you see it) to accommodate a door.

The front of the machine looks to have encountered a tree or something on the front right side Passenger side.

Snow Shadow drove the machine, I watched, it drives and steers really well.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
all parts go with machine is what he said. it's a shame he doesn't post a picture of them.
it could up the value some.

ashland

Took a gamble and bought this machine. Trucker unloaded this morning. Great running machine, everything has been gone though and repaired. New canvas top and sides, new track belts, perfect drive gears, all new wheels. Will need new paint job and clean up wiring inside to make it a perfect machine. The tag on the machine lists a chassis # and a vehicle#. What does the vehicle # reference ? (76 RN 97)

Last edited:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Took a gamble and bought this machine. Trucker unloaded this morning. Great running machine, everything has been gone though and repaired. New canvas top and sides, new track belts, perfect drive gears, all new wheels. Will need new paint job and clean up wiring inside to make it a perfect machine. The tag on the machine lists a chassis # and a vehicle#. What does the vehicle # reference ? (76 RN 97)

Just curious, but roughly where are you located?

You can look here for some information on production: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=2198

But the designation "76 RN 97" means you have one of the very rare Royal Marines military Snow Tracs from England. I can't tell you much more than that about that designation but I am going to hope that you do a proper restoration of that machine. Its not a run-of-the-mill comercial model.

I have a friend in England, former member here, she knows a lot more about the Royal Marines units, owns 1 and also converted a commercial unit into a military prototype for use at military shows in England. I'll ring her up and see if I can find out any more for you. I may need you to send me some detailed photos of the tag that shows the #s because I can't read the chassis # that is on the plate in the photo earlier in this thread.

ashland

The chassis # is st4-1457 which I believe would put it at year 1970.
This machine came from a estate. The grandson did not know anything about the history other than it come out of Montana about ten years ago. He stated he thought it was blue in color before his grandfather painted it.
I live in Minnesota. I have a small collection of older 2 or more person snowmobiles.
From what reference material have you determined that the vehicle # is a British machine?
Thanks for your help.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Every military machine I have seen has the body configuration that yours seems to have ... but I'd love to see a bunch more photos to confirm.

Also the 76 RN 97 designation is very typical of the Royal Marines designations but is not common on civilian machines.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome Ashland. I too am not any sort of a expert. I did inspect that machine in person. I will call your attention to a few items that make that machine unique.

Under the hood that fan that is blowing air into the variator area is not consistant with the 1970 serial number.
the grouser type and the way the spring strengtheners are installed is also suggesting a much newer machine.
I hope you got the box of documentation that was on the work bench, in there was contact info for another late production stash of parts, You have all brand new tires on that machine and that gentlemen was able to find them from the information in those notes. I saw pictures other machines with names and phone numbers.

It was amazing to me to see how well that man restored that machine. If it is your first snow trac welcome to the fun.

Oh and relocate that battery ASAP. ;-)
If you get over to the east side of WI
I am in WI near Green bayand machine 336 and 268 reside here with me.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I received confirmation from 2 military vehicle collectors (and Snow Trac owners) in the UK that the "76 RN 97" is a designation for military Snow Tracs. Actually it could be several different combinations of "xx RN xx" numbers. Those were all Royal Marines units.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
that plate id on the dash is the first I have seen and I wouldn't be surprised if he had it made.
did you get a good supply of spare st parts?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
that plate id on the dash is the first I have seen and I wouldn't be surprised if he had it made.
did you get a good supply of spare st parts?

evidence of military-ness
the lift hooks where removed from the fenders. they are there in the un-restored photos.

there was a NATO jumper cable hook up on the machine as well.

Ashland enjoy your new ride. I agree with melens Dad, I think you got something pretty unique.

Mike

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The dashboard is also consistent with the Royal Marines units that I have personally inspected in the UK and inconsistent with commercial Snow Tracs.

While there were commercial units that had a similar rear end configuration, this is also consistent with the R.M. military units, as is the clasp style hitch.

Obviously there are all sorts of "modernized" bits and pieces added to this unit. The dual tank fuel system, extra lights, etc. But a military unit would have had the tank repositioned to the drivers side, and there is a place that appears to be from where the fuel line would have originally entered back into the cabin, which is, where I believe the military units I have seen have that same port for the fuel line.

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 317

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome to the "club" Ashland. No. 267 is South of you in Iowa on a farm, here with me. I hope your able to come to the Cat clowder in Michigan sometime. Neat it is to have these machines running together.
:brows::biggrin:
Best regards, Kirk

ashland

Yes I did receive extra parts. But all the paperwork on the machine is currently on the way to me by FedEx. This paperwork may answer some of the questions. I will be able to look the machine over better next week and use many of the clues all of you have given. Thank you to all of you for your help!! Todd from MN

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes I did receive extra parts. But all the paperwork on the machine is currently on the way to me by FedEx. This paperwork may answer some of the questions. I will be able to look the machine over better next week and use many of the clues all of you have given. Thank you to all of you for your help!! Todd from MN
Whatever you end up doing with it please post photos here so we can all see!

Is this a recreational vehicle for you/your family? Or are you going to put it to work?

ashland

Looked at the machine briefly this morning.
This is what I see so far:
sae bolts, the side stationary windows open as a vent windows, base color was olive green, has a external power receptacle (looks military), data plates and placard plates look newer

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looked at the machine briefly this morning.
This is what I see so far:
sae bolts, the side stationary windows open as a vent windows, base color was olive green, has a external power receptacle (looks military), data plates and placard plates look newer

SAE bolts = replaced during restoration, no clue to prior
Vent Windows = normal on both military and commerical Snow Tracs
Green Base Color = Military
Power Receptacle = Military
New(er) data/placard plates = reproduction of Military

ashland

The machine needs a complete brake system overhaul. This machine is a 1970 model with brakes in the engine compartment. Parts:
brake shoes--#211609537B
brake cylinders--#211611047C
master cylinder--#211611011JBR (not sure on this one)

Could any body confirm if I have correct part #'s. Also what would be the best site to order from? (would prefer quality parts over discount parts)

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brakes are overrated on many older snowcats.

Seriously unless you live on a hill you really don't need them.

Mine never worked on my Snow Trac. Never missed them.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Im a nooby to the snow cat world, I however don't support the no brakes mantra. early on I did not value the brakes do to the high rolling resistance, lately, I have been on ski hills and wished for more brakes. I have been loading onto flat trailers on slight inclines and wished for more brakes (quicker less pumping) there too.

at least make the e brake work...

$.02

I also like the pressure switch on the brake system you have, I felt that was a nice touch...

Mike

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Im a nooby to the snow cat world, I however don't support the no brakes mantra. early on I did not value the brakes do to the high rolling resistance, lately, I have been on ski hills and wished for more brakes. I have been loading onto flat trailers on slight inclines and wished for more brakes (quicker less pumping) there too.

at least make the e brake work...

$.02

I also like the pressure switch on the brake system you have, I felt that was a nice touch...

Mike
This issue may depend upon the brand of snowcat, but with my Snow Trac it would slow down fast by just easing off the accelerator pedal. I never parked it facing downhill, I suppose it might slowly roll down a hill, but I always parked on flats or facing cross slope and never bothered with the parking brake either.

I'm not saying I didn't try to fix them and make them work, I'm saying I didn't need them.

undy

As someone who recently ran out of fuel halfway up a ski-hill with a roller on behind, brakes could be pretty useful, IMHO. With hydraulic brake-steering and a dead engine, you're pretty much screwed without a manual brake. Granted, it was not a Snow Trac, but still...

Maybe we live where it's abnormally hilly (although I doubt this), but I gotta agree with Mike here.

I don't need that kind of excitement.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Throwing in my 2¢:
During the cat's meow, I had occasion to have to stop on a fairly good slope, and back up the hill. Without brakes that would not have ended well. I'm fairly certain that tucker would have fared better than my trac.
CT