• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dog got sick, $1000 so far, more to go!

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
When ours got to that point we just improvised and used a bath towel under his belly.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
When ours got to that point we just improvised and used a bath towel under his belly.

The times when Gretchen had problems walking as a younger weenie, and now as an older weenie, the vet suggested to put her in a warm bath, while I held her under the tummy to gently exercise her.
It always seemed to work, but now she's gotten older and a little too feisty to care about anything therapeutic like that, although she still likes her 'baffies'..

I am happy to hear Misha is doing better. :flowers:

Oh and about that snow.. hmmph! lol

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are there any exercises that you could get her to do to strengthen her rear?

No it is not a strength issue but, if I understand it correctly, a brain issue where the brain/muscle/nerve 'connectors' don't seem to 'fire' correctly and the rear end simply stops working properly.

Might give that a try, just to see. The problem would be getting it under her? That is why we were thinking of some sort of thing that she would wear, it would always (well maybe not always) be on her and then could be used whenever she tred to get up without having to wrestle a towel under her.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Misha had a full blood work up this morning.

Got the results back a short time ago when the vet called.

Kidney function = good
Liver function = good
Blood counts = good
Electrolytes = good
Blood sugar = elevated again (244)

So she is back on insulin shots. But very low dose. 3 units of insulin 2x per day is the new dose. She was on 8 units 2x per day before. Good news is we don't have to take her back in for test until next Wednesday. She will get another blood test at that time and an ultra-sound to check her bladder for signs of improvement (we all know she has dramatically improved, but we don't know if the infection is gone).

So overall pretty darn good news.

Having the diabetes gone was a longshot, we knew it, we just hoped. Having it easy to manage is the next best thing, and that appears to be where we are heading.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Another update on Misha.

She was getting pretty wobbly on her feet, we took her in for her scheduled blood test and found out her blood sugar was LOW.

We decided, with the doctor, to skip her morning insulin and bring her back in the late afternoon for another blood test. Again the blood sugar was low.

So we all decided that she should STOP getting insulin. Today she is much more stable and seems more alert too. Last insulin shot we gave her was Thursday evening.

She goes back for another blood test on Tuesday morning. In the mean time we are just monitoring her.

She is still on anti-biotics for the massive bladder infection but it appears that those meds will probably be coming to an end in a week or so.

A bit of good news then maybe. I do hope she gets better, even for a few more years.

They are worth it.

I've spent almost a grand on a so called "free" kitten in the last year or so. Little B@stard just walked into our lives out of the woods, took a ride in my friends Mustang(wrapped around the battery for 17 miles) and now just demands royal attention. Can't justify any of it,,,, but there it is

Somehow, they are worth it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A bit of good news then maybe. I do hope she gets better, even for a few more years.
. . .
Somehow, they are worth it.

Well she is clearly better than she was, but the odds of living a 'few more years' are pretty slim. She is an elderly dog. Had maybe a year left before all this. At this point we are hoping she has a good run through the end of summer, maybe into the fall.

But as you say they are worth it.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Well she is clearly better than she was, but the odds of living a 'few more years' are pretty slim. She is an elderly dog. Had maybe a year left before all this. At this point we are hoping she has a good run through the end of summer, maybe into the fall.

But as you say they are worth it.
I had an 16 year old cat I didn't even want but, she adopted me. Chinese additives in her premium pet food ruined her kidneys. And yet we spent money at the vet. Indifferent to me in her youth, she became extremely attached to me for the next 6 years despite the vet's warning she was already beyond her life expectancy when I first brought her in. It was a good six years for her,,,,,, and me. She spent every night sleeping under the blanket on my chest. One night last year, she simply said goodbye and was gone.

I have no idea the money spent at the vet or on allergy medications for me.

But, worth every penny spent. At this point you are blessed with the knowledge that every interaction with your friend is precious. Good luck with your time left.

Leni

I keep telling my husband that I want another kitty. He keeps saying 'no not yet'. He never had a pet before that he cared about. Growing up he never had one. After we were married he tolerated my kitties. Our Maine Coon captured his heart. Amigo lived 14 years and died of lung cancer. DH was devasted. I wonder if the losshas hurt him so badly that he doesn't want another one.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I keep telling my husband that I want another kitty. He keeps saying 'no not yet'. He never had a pet before that he cared about. Growing up he never had one. After we were married he tolerated my kitties. Our Maine Coon captured his heart. Amigo lived 14 years and died of lung cancer. DH was devasted. I wonder if the losshas hurt him so badly that he doesn't want another one.

Leni, I remember your sorrow over Amigo. Devastating yes but,,,, that's why God created kittens.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know that. The problem is convincing Tom.

I'm thinking my wife is going through what your husband went through now that we lost her little Snowball. She occasionally just cries. We both loved that little dog, it was a first for both of us as we never had a palm sized dog before. Not sure how to plug that hole in her heart.

Leni

Now I'm going through the same thing. My son and DIL have a little doxie that is a rescue. She was a show dog and then they tossed her. They don't have much money and Lilly needs to have her teeth cleaned and maybe some pulled. She may have an abcess also. Guess who's footing the bill on this one. Not about to let an animal suffer. She's a cutie and only 7.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting, and positive, development last evening.

I was at the fencing club and the lovely Mrs_Bob texted me to say that Misha was upstairs in our bedroom. This is a dog that has a very difficult time climbing 2 steps. Yet she managed to climb a full flight of stairs? I got home an hour later to find Misha sleeping by the side of our bed. She got up and we carefully walked her down the stairs, she never stumbled. It was a nice (but scary) surprise.

This morning she joined me in the living room, that is down a half flight of stairs. For the past 10 days the only way she could get into that room was to go out the front door, walk her around the side of the house and down a mild slope to the living room patio, and then into the living room patio door. Now when I had to get her out of the living room she pretty much refused to climb up the stairs to the main level. But still, she is now using the stairs, if only a little bit.

I really don't want to see her up in our bedroom again. If she goes down that staircase there is just too much potential for injury. But it is nice to have her go down that half-flight into the living room without the need to go outside and around the house.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That great!

Yes and No.

Her hip issue is degenerative and there is no cure. She is unstable. So stairs are a big risk. I told the lovely Mrs_Bob that I thought it was a pretty bad idea for Misha to risk that staircase. Now the shorter flights we have I will encourage her to use on her 'good' days. But as I am not sure I can carry such a big doggy down a full flight of stairs if she hurts herself then I think its best to keep her on the other levels of the house.

Below is the flight she went up/down last night. Maybe you can see why I'd prefer why she avoid it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 130

Leni

A friend has two Akita's. They are a very big dog. You might think about getting one of those baby/child expandable gates to keep her off the long flight of stairs. I think they make them now for dogs also.

Still glad to hear that she is feeling better.

Leni

A friend has two Akita's. They are a very big dog. You might think about getting one of those baby/child expandable gates to keep her off the long flight of stairs. I think they make them now for dogs also.

Still glad to hear that she is feeling better. I don't think that you would feel so good after trying to carry her on the stairs, as in my poor aching back. That's assuming that you didn't fall. :whistling:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have used baby gates for years to block off area, there is now one at the base of those stairs.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So here is the update...

Misha is about 80% DEAF, probably caused by a combination of getting so sick with Diabetes and a massive infection. She can hear only loud noises. We do not expect her hearing to return.

Her infection is GONE
. Tonight she will take the last anti-biotic pill. But the recent ultra-sound showed a clear bladder with no infection; that is good news because that was causing all sorts of problems.

She is SLOWLY losing control of her rear legs but is in ZERO pain. This is a brain disorder, it happens in any age dog, we are lucky that she is an elderly dog and honestly hope she dies before losing total control of her legs.

The DIABETES is under control and she has to have blood tests every other week, when we adjust her insulin level. She is currently on a fairly low dose, takes 2 shots per day, and that seems to be working well.

On a bad day for her she will fall down for seemingly no reason and has a very difficult time getting back up. On a good day she just has a tough time standing but it is less of a struggle and once she is up she seems to be pretty stable and will walk around her fenced yard, help us with spring clean up chores in the yard, etc.

I have ordered a folding ramp to help get her into/out of our SUV. Amazon says that will be delivered on Monday.
ramp%20Merlin-and-Ramp.jpg

I also ordered a glorified towel (towel with 2 handles on it) that can slip under her torso to help lift her. It is for use when she is not wearing a collar/harness combo that has 2 handles to help lift her.

The collar/harness combo is not yet on order, and is not designed to be used 24/7. So while it appears to be a great solution, it has to be periodically removed. >>> http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=70927

Overall she seems happy. She will bark if she wants to come in, will walk to the door to be let out. She loves to come into the living room to watch TV with us . . . which includes going outside through the front door, around the house and down a small slope then inside through the living room patio doors. She cant make it down the 6 stairs that it takes to come down into our living room so the outside route is the only option. She has NO CLUE that her back legs are not working well and there is apparently NO PAIN involved in that issue. As for the DEAFNESS it causes her to be surprised sometimes as we wake her up by petting her, or sometimes when she is awake she doesn't realize we walked up near her and gets a bit of a 'shock' when she realizes there is someone next to her. She is clearly feeling and acting like a normal older dog (she is 11.5 in a breed that lives about 12 years) and shows love and affection and gets the same.

Not sure how much all this has cost us so far, but its in the many thousands. And we would do it all again.

Leni

But if this was a cat. . .

I already have done that more than once.

An update on Lily, my sons doxie. She had to have 12 teeth pulled. There were abcesses and loss of bone. My vet said that she'd never seen such bad teeth. This is about nine months after a teeth cleaning. She wasn't sure that she'd be able to do everything that needed to be done. However Lily tolerated the procedure and Dr T was able to clean everything up.

When she got home she refused to leave their bed. They wanted her to sleep on the couch just in case of bleeding or other accidents. No way. They gave in and put plastic on the bed and covered it with blankets.

It will be two weeks before she can have anything other than soft food. My son brought her by yesterday and she was back to her old self. Lily wanted to go for a walk. She had me going at a fast walk.

Leni

You must be friends with Don of Duelling Bubbas, a BBQ competition team. He's convinced that cats are evil. We have an ongoing debate about that.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That ramp is just what I need for our dane. Do they list a weight limit for the ramp? She's 130 pounds. I've struggled with getting her up in our SUV. If you still have the link for the ramp handy please post it, if not I'll search for it later today.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, I did an Amazon search and they had several different models. The one I got supports 200 pounds, they also had 150 pound ramps, and they had some that looked strong enough to support Harley.