• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Goodbye, nut!

Bannedjoe

I hate this nut.
I've had it for something like 25 years.
I can almost remember the day I pulled it off of something and tossed it into my toolbox.
It resided there for quite a few years, but never got used.

Eventually it got cycled out of the tool box due to its uselessness, and made it into a coffee can of other miscellaneous nuts.
This nut wont thread onto any bolt.
It won't fit properly in a box end wrench nor ever in a socket.

But I've kept it thinking maybe one day, I'll need it for something.

I can't count how many times I've dumped out my can of nuts looking for something just its size, only to pick it up and realize it's that same stupid nut that's been squashed or crimped or something.
But I always throw it back in.

Not today!

It's a done deal, it's going in the trash once and for all!
I don't ever want to pick this bent piece of shit up again hoping it's the nut I'm looking for.

Sayonara nut! Adios. Goodbye Amigo!

I just thought all of you should know this for some reason. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMG_2549.jpg
    IMG_2549.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 108

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
It might be a:

A distorted thread locknut, is a type of locknut that uses a deformed section of thread to keep the nut from loosening from vibrations or rotation of the clamped item. They are broken down into four types: elliptical offset nuts, centerlock nuts, toplock nuts and partially depitched (Philidas) nuts.

They can be hard to start the threads. I have used some of these on snow cat projects.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I hate this nut.
I can almost remember the day I pulled it off of something and tossed it into my toolbox.
It resided there for quite a few years, but never got used.

Eventually it got cycled out of the tool box due to its uselessness, and made it into a coffee can of other miscellaneous nuts.
This nut wont thread onto any bolt.
It won't fit properly in a box end wrench nor ever in a socket.

But I've kept it thinking maybe one day, I'll need it for something.

I can't count how many times I've dumped out my can of nuts looking for something just its size, only to pick it up and realize it's that same stupid nut that's been squashed or crimped or something.
But I always throw it back in.

Not today!

I don't ever want to pick this bent piece of shit up again hoping it's the nut I'm looking for.

Sayonara nut! Adios. Goodbye Amigo!

I just thought all of you should know this for some reason. :mrgreen:

Joe, From the title I took this entirely the wrong way.

I thought old whatshisname got the post office job in Reno and would never darken your door again :bolt: :th_lmao:

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter

You know the way Murphy's Law works....You'll probably need one tomorrow.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Joe, From the title I took this entirely the wrong way.

I thought old whatshisname got the post office job in Reno and would never darken your door again :bolt: :th_lmao:

S0o did I. You beat me to it

I was sooooooo happy for Joe.

All this over a scrap nut? I got coffee cans full of 'em. Every once in a while I find one useful. Grandpa taught me to save everything. damn him I got a big table in the garage full of reclaimed hardware I will likely never use but just cannot toss away.

Bannedjoe

All this over a scrap nut? I got coffee cans full of 'em. Every once in a while I find one useful. Grandpa taught me to save everything. damn him I got a big table in the garage full of reclaimed hardware I will likely never use but just cannot toss away.

That's kind of the point.
I never throw anything out.
This time, I'm making the exception.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

We were brought up alike only it was my dad who taught me. He even kept a jar of bent nails. I'm not quite that bad but we've lived at the homestead for over 20 years and you can collect a whole lot of junk in that time. One of these days ......

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
We were brought up alike only it was my dad who taught me. He even kept a jar of bent nails. I'm not quite that bad but we've lived at the homestead for over 20 years and you can collect a whole lot of junk in that time. One of these days ......

There was a time when bent nails were precious.
Especially American made that were high in hard steel.

Back in 1854, I was helping grandpa build a shed. Oak boards milled from the farm. Hard wood.

I broke the hammer he gave me trying. Grandpa said no problem. He heated up the forge, took the pieces and pressed into a sand mold. Then we threw them into the pot, added some old bent nails and melted it down. I learned how to cast metal that day.

Whilst the head cooled we went to the wood lot and grabbed an Ash tree sapling. he whittled away until he fashion a handle. Put a split in the end and a wedge to tighten it into the hammer.

All of this ended in a slightly bent off kilter hammer but it functioned as intended. I still have that hammer today.

And the habit of saving just about everything.