• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Parts price padding.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Your transfer case wasn't bad enough to notice when you drove it there and they didn't notice it on thier supposed test drive so I'm thinking something happened to it becasue of the engine swap (dangeling, bad angle etc), lack of fluid ( that they should have checked) or because of trauma to it by the FU'd engine.

At least they should give you the parts for WAY closer to cost or write off lots of the labor.

I might argue that I have seen many of those aluminum chain drive t cases take a crap with no warning. it is an older truck you did right getting all the wear parts replaced with the engine. when I was in Iraq I wouldn't replace an engine with out replacing all the hoses and cooling pack. my team was the only one that didn't loose an engine when summer came around.
if you do the t-case you might want to do the trans and torque converter than all your high dollar bases should be covered.

Bannedjoe

I might argue that I have seen many of those aluminum chain drive t cases take a crap with no warning. it is an older truck you did right getting all the wear parts replaced with the engine. when I was in Iraq I wouldn't replace an engine with out replacing all the hoses and cooling pack. my team was the only one that didn't loose an engine when summer came around.
if you do the t-case you might want to do the trans and torque converter than all your high dollar bases should be covered.

Except the front axle, rear axle, rear end, front end and the body.
I'm just being facetious.

I probably have no choice but to replace the Tcase, but I'd bet just about anything that they messed it up on the install.

And how come they drove the thing around for a test, thought it sounded and ran great, and then three miles after I had it, it sounded like a rod was going to let go, and the Tcase failed.

I can't help but to suffer here from large quantities of scepticism.
I've never had any good luck getting an engine replaced.
I'd be forced to think no one had ever done it before.

I'm too deep now to bail.

But by the time I'm done I'm going to have a $20,000 truck that was only about $10,000 brand new, and if I tried, I couldn't get $5K out of it on Craigslist.

It's ok though, because it's the truck I want, and want to run good for a lot longer.

Long story short, I should have done it all myself.
I know I could have done better.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that's why I do most things I need my self, that way it gets done to my standard. Even say working on my atv's or working on my house. It may take me a little longer, or I may have to seek the advice of a pro I trust, but I would rather wait to do it my self, rather to pay some one to do it, than pay than re do the job my self to get it to my satisfaction.

Bannedjoe

Another mildly interesting detail or two....

When I first took it into the shop, I told these guys to also replace the injectors.

When the "Tech" was going over the engine showing me all the new stuff, and his work, I asked him if he replaced the injectors.
He said no, we just cleaned them up.
There were two new injectors installed from a previous guys attempt to repair the truck.

As I'm going through the bill with a fine tooth comb, I come across two separate charges.
Both for injectors.
One line says 8 injectors for $526, another says 6 injectors for $394.50???

I guess I got me a 14 cylinder engine.

Here's another...
I found a separate line charging labor for replacing the radiator.
Isn't pulling a radiator part of replacing an engine???

Once these guys are finally done, we're gonna have a real Pow-Wow before the bill gets paid.

Bannedjoe

Well, they started the job Jan 13th.
It's now Feb 22.

They called me late afternoon yesterday to let me know it was done.
Two immediate responses came to mind:

1. You're kidding, right?
2. Too late, I don't want it anymore.

Of course I said neither.

I plan on being there Monday morning with my calculator, a fine tuned ear, and not to mention, a very fine toothed comb.