• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cell Phones On Planes

Should the use of Cell Phones be Permitted On Planes

• Yes

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • NO

Votes: 22 68.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Story on MSNBC along with some discussion. I thought it would be nice if we could start out own discussion and poll.

So vote and if you wish make some comments.

I know if someone started talking next to me on a phone I would more than likely be upset as I hate cell phones in restaurants as it is.

Last edited:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Electronically there is no reason to ban them. Personally, I'd be more prone to plane-rage if some Chatty-Nancy is blathering next to me the whole flight. :furious:

American Woman

Site Supporter
I've never flown before, but I get irritated with phone conversation out loud. I hate those Nextels because of that. If I were to fly I would want my cell phone in case of an emergency.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a cell phone because it is a necessary evil. I need to be able to be reached by my daughter due to her diabetes. So I do realize that some people need cell phones and I realize that they speed up business and make it more efficient. I got a call today while I was driving and pulled off the road so I could talk because it is 1) safer, 2) more courteous to other drivers since people talking on cell phones get into accidents at the same rate as DRUNK drivers and also tend to change speeds and lanes without concern for their surroundings. Planes are private businesses and the airline should have the right to dictate if it wants cell phone use on the plane.

HOWEVER, I see way too many people who live life with their phone glued to their ear and act as if they are the center of the universe and you are intruding on them when 1) they drive slow in the left lane, 2) they talk loud in restaurants, 3) they chat in line at the store and when it is time to pay don't have their money/card out for the cashier and then expect the world to wait for them while they dig through their purse/etc.

I could go on, but I think I've made it clear where I stand on the whole cell phone situation.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
As a fairly frequent flier and borderline cell phone addict.. I still vote no. I hate restaurant conversations. While I typically DO answer, I find out if it's important or not and explain that I am at dinner and either call them back or go outside to take the call. OTOH, if I could use my phone for internet access, then I am all for it! I have never understood why they prohibit them since it does not affect the navigation at all. I know because I forgot to turn one off once and we still got there and no one arrested me.:shifty: Listening to some tubby, smelly guy next to me blabber on the phone would certainly cause flight rage.:censored:

Trakternut

I vote "no" on a ban. However, the airline should stipulate that if your conversation is going to be prolonged, take your phone somewhere that isn't going to violate some one else's right to a peaceful flight. I know, it's gonna be a toughie on a crowded flight.
Most business type calls are really done in a few minutes. It only takes two minutes to tell the person on the other end that you will, or will not make your appointment on time, then hang up. B/s'ing about your grandmother's neighbor's sister's bladder problems is not a business call.:shock:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
i think phone use in all moving vehicles should be banned.
When in a car, pulling over to talk is fine, but driving while talking on the phone is dangerous to those around you, while babbling to someone on the other end of the line when in a crowded plane is just flat rude. And I won't even comment on the idiots who talk on their motorcycles, othe rthan to mention their other trade name: "organ donors"

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
i think phone use in all moving vehicles should be banned.
When in a car, pulling over to talk is fine, but driving while talking on the phone is dangerous to those around you, while babbling to someone on the other end of the line when in a crowded plane is just flat rude. And I won't even comment on the idiots who talk on their motorcycles, othe rthan to mention their other trade name: "organ donors"

I agree.
Nothing irritates me more than to see someone texting one handed and looking down WHILE driving- for God's sakes!
I see that almost every day.
I don't recall anyone ever sitting beside me on a plane and yakking on a cell, however.. these dopes standing in line at the supermarket, or as Jeremy said, in restaurants drives me crazy.
It's like.. can't you WAIT 30 minutes to take that call, or do you want the world to hear your all important conversation?
I do realize that some have to make/take calls regarding important matters, but for crying out loud!
lol

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
within moderation and within respect to others. no ringers, vibrate, get up and go to the back or somewhere to talk. text message if you can.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't even get me started on the damned bluetooth headsets..

If you just have to use one:
"Hey Mr. Spock!
TAKE IT OFF WHEN YOU'RE NOT ACTUALLY TALKING TO ANYONE!"

hehe

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 62

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
yeah - my 67 year old morning guard wears one.
I think it's so we can't tell when he's actually talking to himself!

American Woman

Site Supporter
One of the hairdressers in my shop wears a bluetooth all the time. She answers it , and talks on it while she cuts hair. I'm embarrassed to work with her. I think it's the ultimate RUDE when someone is paying for your time.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
One of the hairdressers in my shop wears a bluetooth all the time. She answers it , and talks on it while she cuts hair. I'm embarrassed to work with her. I think it's the ultimate RUDE when someone is paying for your time.

Oh. That would SOOOO totally piss me off. I am a good tipper. Whether it's meals or getting my hair lowered I tip more than what is fair. If someone cut my hair while yapping on her bluetooth.... Yup... no tip from me.:furious:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
i vote no for one simple reason.....striking up a conversation on a plane with a total stranger in my view is much more fun....you never know what interesting people you can come across on a journey.

Mobile phones in public places are just so rude and arrogant.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
To paraphrase the great Samuel L.

Enough is enough! I have had it with these mother****ing cell phones on this mother****ing plane

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bGv6Ijf1aU"]YouTube - Snakes on a Plane[/ame]

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
To paraphrase DaveNay paraphrasing Mr. S. L. Jackson...
Enough is enough! I have had it with these mother****ing cell phones on this mother****ing planet

Last edited:

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter

YouTube - Snakes on a Plane

That is a great line from a STUPID movie. But I still agree. Now.. if I could TEXT on the plane where it did not really bother anyone....:thumb: