• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Transfer fuel pumps

NCMau

While back I purchased two new gas transfer pumps, one manual rotary type and one 12V electric. In order to gas out of the manual, I have to prime it with a squirt of oil. (I drilled a 1/4' hole at the output elbow, which is plugged with a screw when pumping starts).
My question is: is this normal or the pump is screwup. Is there something I can do other than using my inconvenient method?
The pump is mounted in a 55 gal. drum.
The electric pump just quit pumping after few times. It runs, just it is not getting the gas out. I have not done inside exploration yet. I like to get some suggestions before I do it .

bill w

sounds to me that you are leaking air somewhere...i bought a new tuthill 12v pump and it works perfect....no priming...it sounds like your suction pipe is probably leaking at the slip joint...i'd say take the suction pipe off and put some sealant on the connection wher it goes into the pump and ck to see if it is leaking around the slip joint.....hard to tell, but if it slides real easy.....it's probably leaking.ck to see if it stopped pumping at half a tank...that would be a clue...good luck..bill w