• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

snow trac seat

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I run the snow trac 70 miles Monday night hauling tacoma mountain rescue and I thought the snow trac seat was adequate . A lightweight bucket seat would be a good improvement. I don't see how Don does the 13hr runs.
jim

nikos

Jim I have the same problem. The seat is uncomfortable.
But first i would like to change the original steering wheel, with a small one.
My legs are touching the steering wheel.

Attachments

• st4 steering wheel.jpg
    st4 steering wheel.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 269

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
to all those who have been following my trip's remember a couple of years ago i got rid of that old buck board seat, and replaced it with a passengers side seat from a cj-5 i had laying around. the cj seat worked out well ,as the passengers side seat kind of rolls forward and up to allow room for back seat access. i stck the seat in adjusted the high,t and welded the frame in place than bolted it to the foor.it was cheap, the right size and comfortable

Sno-Surfer

I have the same problem as Nikos, my steering colum has been shortened and the steering wheel is too low and also hits my skinny legs. I ordered a steering wheel that has a "dish" to it and I think that will help. I had to also order some adapter that I hope will work when it arrives. Where did you find that 6 hole wheel with a dish Nikos? That looks like all I really needed.
I find also that the lack of foot room near the pedals is less than ideal.
But I'm having so much fun with it that it overrides the lack of comfort features.:w00t2:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Why do Snow Track ops replace their steering wheels with ultra small ones.... So they can drive handcuffed....
I'm having the same problem. I had a fire engine that had such a large wheel and so small space I had to open the door to put my foot on the clutch. Since that isn't an option with the ST, I'm looking to see what can be done. If I replace the stock drivers side bench with just enough seat to cover the gas tank, I can move the whole thing back to comfort. That is one option I'm looking at. Then make custom storage for spares and supplies under the new seat.

Last edited:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I run the snow trac 70 miles Monday night hauling tacoma mountain rescue and I thought the snow trac seat was adequate . A lightweight bucket seat would be a good improvement. I don't see how Don does the 13hr runs.
jim

Were you in on the rescue of the snowmobilers that buried their sleds? Saw some cat's on TV, but didn't see a ST.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the bench seat was another mod i didn't make my self it had allready been done it gives you a few more inches to move the seat back, real important for somebody as big as i am.my seat was cut right at the edge of the fuel tank. my puter took a dump last weekend the same time my snowtrac snow trac lost a wrist pin clip. so im operating on a borrowed puter when the new dell gets here i will put upo some pics. my displacement got bumped to 1776 cc on this rebuild it will be a hotrod now.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim,

Redsquel here has a very nice one in the yellow snow master, the former Pedersen machine. Don't know if it is spring or air ride, but I would guess air. Very nice. Hope he see's this and chimes in. Don't know what mods were done to make it work though. The bench seat behind it looked pretty short. When I sat down it just said "cuoooosh..." and I was in love. Been thinking about it ever since. His machine does however have a 4" extension below the hard top, so he has more head room too.

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It is Springs and Shock absorbers. I snapped four photos One of the Steering Wheel relative to the dash and window ( you can see the lift kit for the roof)

then a photo from the front quarter of the seat.

Photo of the seat position relative to the window.

Photo of the Base. The Base is secured to the floor (Which is rubber covered alum) with a sandwiched style base.

There is a very comfortable amount of space about the pedals and steering wheel in this machine, I only have the Green machine to compare it to, feels as if I need to slide into position in the Green machine, Where as the Yellow machine the seat can be approched from multiple trajectorys.

Hope this helps,

FWIWorth I am refraining from busting out the sawzall on the Green machine as the interior is set up for camping with a removable seat back and drop down pads to facilitate a Full deck.

Mike

Attachments

• 124_7358 (Small).JPG
    124_7358 (Small).JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 214
  • 124_7359 (Small).JPG
    124_7359 (Small).JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 124_7360 (Small).JPG
    124_7360 (Small).JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 124_7361 (Small).JPG
    124_7361 (Small).JPG
    59 KB · Views: 212

utahwilson

Hey does that steering brake actually work? I used to have one on my sandrail. I was thinking about possibility of putting on my snowcat.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am still learning the machine so take this for the asking price....

I would put it in if you had it. at a minimum it could get you some control should you blow a belt or round off a Sprocket spline.... (It is a stretch but you get the idea)

As far as how well it works.
This is going to be hard to explain but here goes... If you are not turning or trying to turn, it just loads the machine and makes it twist a bit. (I assume it adds load to the belt as the belt trys to remain even torque)

If you are turning it does the same as above except the effect is felt more. firmer the snow, more you feel it. when in fluffy loose dry snow and the outside-of-the-turn track is spinning the Brake does nothing noticable.

Useless note here....
The machine has a hydraulinc line lock for e-brake and the cutting Brake must be ahead of it. (Plumbing wise) as the brake locks both tracks

Hope that helps, Kirk may have played with it he may have some input, back on track with the seat that seat is very nice. I am strugling to find a tag. the adjustments are in Kilo-grams....