• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

V4 engine part numbers

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I did not review your list.
However my shallow research of the imp V4 is that it is the same base motor that saab put in the sonnet. the differences are external. the imp front motor cover is desirable to the saab crowd. the saab pulleys are desirable to the imp crowd. I order parts online I reference the saab sonnet and have had perfect fitment so far..

Fuel pump.
Valve cover gaskets.
Carb.
Distributor stuff.
Plugs
oil filter

Saab cooling fans are different.
I upgraded my alternator to a one wire GM.

Mike

Bobmog

Mike, can you describe the alternator upgrade? Did you used the generator bracket? What alternator did you use? How is the alternator wired? Do you have to change the regulator? Thanks for any help.
Bob

hunter1951

It would be great to have a thread of part numbers and where there might be a supply for them, as we all know parts for the Ford V4 are getting harder and harder to find as well as a long list of other Thiokol parts.
Dwight

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mike, can you describe the alternator upgrade? Did you used the generator bracket? What alternator did you use? How is the alternator wired? Do you have to change the regulator? Thanks for any help.
Bob

the machine had a 60 Amp alternator on it when i bought it. It failed. I replaced it with a 90 Amp alternator on the advice of a counter guy at NAPA. (olser counter guys will know the Alt by memeory it is a very common conversion ask for a one wire alternator) The OEM Imp bracket is used. the alternator is drilled out to accept the 7/16 bolt from the imp. everything else is stock the belt lenght is longer. I used a rope to make a pattern then went back to the store to get a belt Bought two..

Regulator is internal.

I installed a Saab sonnet AC pulley on the cam.
I have one belt on the alt. and water pump.
I have another belt on the cam idler(fan) and hyd pump.

Mike

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It doesn't seem there would be that many sonnet parts out there. are there?

I live near a road racing facility. Sonnets have a cult following. there are many hoarders of the sonnet.

Saab forums are great ways to find information and parts.

rockuto.com generally has a great database for parts by make and model.

Mike

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you need big parts, heads, blocks, running motors, balanced 8500 rpm race motors with 4 bbl's let me know,

I know people.....

Mike

DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR I PULLED A BLOWN V4 OUT OF MY IMP. THE OIL PUMP DRIVE TWISTED OFF AND STARVED THE THE CRANK AND ROD BEARINGS. I DO HOWEVER HAVE THE ORIGINAL GENERATOR, CARB AND NUMEROUS OTHER PARTS.

hunter1951

I was going to get an IMP that had that engine in it, but after looking into the parts not being very available I have since decided to purchase a super imp with the inline 6 and a auto trans.