• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Washing hands in cold water 'as good as hot'

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It takes a good while for the hot water to get to the faucet since we have 3/4" copper in our house. So I usually wash with cold water. I was wondering if I needed to wait for it to heat up to really wash correctly. Thankfully the answer appears to be cold is just as good as hot, simply not as comfortable. :thumb:

Washing hands in cold water 'as good as hot'
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-40118539

US scientists say they have poured cold water on the theory that washing hands with hot water kills more germs than unheated water.

The small study of 20 people found using water at 15C (59F) left hands as clean as water heated to 38C (100F) .

The report, in the Journal of Food Protection, suggests this could help cut electricity bills in restaurants.

NHS advice recommends that people wash their hands in either cold or warm water.

'Bug removal'
In this study, scientists at Rutgers University-New Brunswick wanted to find out if popular assumptions about the benefits of warm or hot water and official guidance on hot water - given to the food industry in the US - held true.

They asked 20 people to wash their hands 20 times each with water that was 15C (59F), 26C (79F) or 38 degrees (100F).

Volunteers were also asked to experiment with varying amounts of soap.

Before they started the tests, their hands were covered in harmless bugs.

Researchers say there was no difference in the amount of bugs removed as the temperature of the water or the amount of soap changed.

Prof Donald Schaffner said: "People need to feel comfortable when they are washing their hands but as far as effectiveness [goes], this study shows us that the temperature of the water used did not matter."

However, the researchers accept their study is small and say more extensive work is needed to determine the best ways to remove harmful bacteria.

In the UK, NHS experts say people can use cold or hot water to wash their hands.

They say hands should be washed for at least 20 seconds and stress the importance of using enough soap to cover the whole surface of the hands.

Their guidance focuses on rubbing hands together in various ways to make sure each surface of each hand is clean.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
USDA says 120f with 15 seconds (maybe the reg is 30 seconds, we go for 5)at the faucet. Circulated hot water everywhere.

If I showed 'em this article if I didn't get that, I am sure I'd get an NR. They would laugh. After all, they are the You Es Dee Ay!

Hands just seem cleaner with hot water and soap vs cold water and soap.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
They say hands should be washed for at least 20 seconds and stress the importance of using enough soap to cover the whole surface of the hands.

Their guidance focuses on rubbing hands together in various ways to make sure each surface of each hand is clean.

That.
Enough soap and friction.
As many times as I was my hands, especially at work, it's a wonder I have any skin left at all.
Link your fingers together too while washing.
That's a very important part.
Also rub your nails into the palm of the other hand.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Germs are not the only reason we wash our hands. Any mechanic (or his wife) will tell you that warm water cleans off nasty grease and oils far more effectively that cold water.

Please tell me the government didn't pay for this stupid study.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Originally Posted by Doc

I had an employee who would sing Happy Birthday every time he washed his hands. Oddly enough it comes to about twenty seconds.

Stupid idea really,,,;
I get so dirty I have to sing it at least twice

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Originally Posted by Doc

I had an employee who would sing Happy Birthday every time he washed his hands. Oddly enough it comes to about twenty seconds. A grown man, he looked so foolish doing it.

Stupid idea really,,,;
I get so dirty I have to sing it at least twice

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:yum: :yum: Good one Frac!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Washing hands to cleam dirt and grime off them is different, you can see the dirt and grime and can see what it takes to get it off. The study only pertains to washing hands for germs that you cannot see. After bathroom use or before eating etc ....

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

Washing hands to cleam dirt and grime off them is different, you can see the dirt and grime and can see what it takes to get it off. The study only pertains to washing hands for germs that you cannot see. After bathroom use or before eating etc ....

I understand that DOC. We sanitize our machines everyday with Isopropyl alcohol. We do not warm it first. But does not the grease and grime hold some of that bacteria? I was referring to the "effectiveness" of warm water assisting the cleaning process. Getting the detritus off one's skin is more efficiently done with warm or hot water.

Basically, the idea that one can do it with cold water is useless info. Not as practical as one would tend to be less thorough in cold water. IMHO handy only when there is no alternative. Nice to know but if ya'll don't mind, I will continue to use the warm water on these old hands.

Last edited:

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

The people that tell you that cold water won't kill bugs but 120 water will are the same ones that tell you that you must cook meat to 165 to have any chance of killing the bugs in meat.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I understand that DOC. We sanitize our machines everyday with Isopropyl alcohol. We do not warm it first. But does not the grease and grime hold some of that bacteria? I was referring to the "effectiveness" of warm water assisting the cleaning process. Getting the detritus off one's skin is more efficiently done with warm or hot water.

Basically, the idea that one can do it with cold water is useless info. Not as practical as one would tend to be less thorough in cold water. IMHO handy only when there is no alternative. Nice to know but if ya'll don't mind, I will continue to use the warm water on these old hands.
I agree with all that Franc. And I much prefer hot or at least warm water to wash hands. But wondered if in a rush and the hot water was not there yet, does it do any good to wash germs away with cold. Plus some public restrooms that just shoot the auto little squirt of water never do warm up ....so good to know cold can do some good but yeah, given the choice it's hot water every time for me.