• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Soldiers previously denied signing bonuses after war injuries...

RobsanX

Gods gift to common sense
SUPER Site Supporter
I was asked to speak on this in another thread, so instead of hijacking that one I'll put it here. As far as I know, this has been corrected, but only after an act of Congress, literally...

Bill would guarantee bonus to soldiers wounded in Iraq

Tuesday, October 23, 2007
By Jonathan D. Silver, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The problem, as U.S. Rep. Jason Altmire sees it, is that soldiers wounded in Iraq are being denied bonuses when their injuries force an early military discharge.

The problem with the way Mr. Altmire presented the issue is that the soldier he had speak at a news conference wouldn't be affected by the the McCandless Democrat's proposed legislation.

U.S. Army Spc. Robert Kaminski of Shaler lost a leg and received a traumatic brain injury last year in Iraq. But under the terms of the contract he signed with the Army, he isn't eligible for an enlistment bonus.
But yesterday the wounded veteran spoke in favor of efforts by Mr. Altmire to stick up for his fellow soldiers who have fallen through the cracks -- those who might have brain injuries but haven't been screened, and those who were denied bonuses they deserve.

Mr. Altmire, D-McCandless, held a news conference yesterday at the Ross municipal building with Spc. Kaminski and other veterans to tout legislation he has authored to aid wounded soldiers.

At the forefront was a bill introduced last week and sent to committee that targets a Defense Department policy preventing eligible soldiers from receiving their full bonuses if discharged early because of combat-related injuries.

"Hard as it may be to believe, the Department of Defense has been denying injured servicemen and women the bonuses that they qualified for," Mr. Altmire said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07296/827606-84.stm#ixzz0lHvJTcMz

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
I had a soldier getting a reenlistment a few years back. She was expected to receive a direct commission as a 2LT a few months later. I told her that she probably wouldn't be eligible for the bonus since she wouldn't be able to fulfill her enlisted. She assured me that she had spoken with someone and they told her that it was OK. Well she received her bonus, I think it was either $15 or $20K. A month after her commissioning the Army wanted it's money back. She had paid off some debt with it. Fortunately she received a $10K commissioning bonus and that help. The remainder was docked from her pay. A lot of this is the computer system. We looked and looked and couldn't find anything that said that she couldn't keep the first bonus, I just had a gut feeling. And that is why young soldiers should listen to those who have been in 15 years or longer.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mr. Altmire is my representative. He's a good guy and very much for veterans. I hope this works out.

loboloco

I checked with some of my buddies still in. Unfortunately, the reason they were denied the bonus has to do with the contracts they signed. The military was basically told by other parts of the government that they had to enforce the contract(my guess is Justice Dept).

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
My son had planned to be a career military member until this last year. Now he will serve his time in disgust and then get as far away from the military as possible. I've never experienced as much lying, cheating and stealing in my life until my son enlisted. This is pathetic. The excuse is that the recruiters claim that they are told to basically promise whatever they need to promise to get someone to enlist. After the signing, it's been made painfully clear that the military has no obligation whatsoever to live up to their written promises yet the enlisted soldier MUST serve or go to jail. I respect our military members but now despise the military and especially our military schools. The schools are nothing but government endorsed thieves, allowed to violate any rule and extort money with no repercussions; guaranteed by our government.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I guess this is your first experience with the US Military then Dargo. I saw it in Viet Nam, my father's dealing with them as a very decorated WWII Marine, my son the Navy Seal and the other who was career who quit after the first Gulf War due to what he was put through. My father was so turned off by the US military he advised my brother and I to skip to Canada if we had been drafted during Viet Nam. I was 4F and my brother was deferred due to collage. It really isn't a good deal at all.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I guess this is your first experience with the US Military then Dargo. I saw it in Viet Nam, my father's dealing with them as a very decorated WWII Marine, my son the Navy Seal and the other who was career who quit after the first Gulf War due to what he was put through. My father was so turned off by the US military he advised my brother and I to skip to Canada if we had been drafted during Viet Nam. I was 4F and my brother was deferred due to collage. It really isn't a good deal at all.

Yes, it actually is. My son literally wanted to serve his country and make a career out of what he thought was an honorable military. To be perfectly honest, the day we went to drop him off at VMI and when he was enlisting my gut told me to "leave, leave now" when they tried to extort 20 grand from me on the spot with the promise that the Army would pay me back. My wife and son begged me to do what I knew was wrong. I'm sure you've guessed by now that I've never seen any of that money back as well and the rotten bastards are still coming at me and my son for more money. I'm almost physically sick about how corrupt our military, military schools and government are. I include the government because I have been told in no uncertain terms that the extortion is most certainly state and federally endorsed and no judge in the country who wants to keep their position would dare rule against the crooks.

I thank all those who have served. Unfortunately, our military has lost it's honor. Not our soldiers, but our military brass and the government backing them.