• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Conservatives rally around Goya amid calls for boycott over CEO's pro-Trump remarks

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Conservatives rally around Goya amid calls for boycott over CEO's pro-Trump remarks
Ted Cruz, Meghan McCain and Charlie Kirk were some who weighed in

By Sam Dorman | Fox News

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/conservatives-rally-around-goya-amid-boycott

A number of prominent conservatives have offered their support for Goya Foods as it faces mass calls for boycott over its CEO's decision to praise President Trump.

On Friday, Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, tweeted: "Goya is a staple of Cuban food. My grandparents ate Goya black beans twice a day for nearly 90 years. And now the Left is trying to cancel Hispanic culture and silence free speech. #BuyGoya"

President Trump similarly tweeted "I LOVE @GoyaFoods!" amid the backlash. Figures such as former model Chrissie Teigen had advanced the boycott as a way to retaliate against CEO Robert Unanue, who appeared beside Trump at a White House event this week.

Profile photo, opens profile page on Twitter in a new tab
Ted Cruz
@tedcruz
Goya is a staple of Cuban food. My grandparents ate Goya black beans twice a day for nearly 90 years. And now the Left is trying to cancel Hispanic culture and silence free speech. #BuyGoya

James Woods
@RealJamesWoods
Goya Foods CEO won't apologize in face of boycott, backlash for pro-Trump remarks: 'Suppression of speech' // Bob Unanue sets a good example in the fight against liberal terrorism. Don’t let his voice be suppressed. Stand up against these thugs. #BuyGoya https://foxnews.com/media/goya-boycott-trump-praise-ceo-fox-friends…
3:01 PM · Jul 10, 2020

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
I LOVE @GoyaFoods!
6:26 PM · Jul 10, 2020

"We're all truly blessed at the same time to have a leader like President Trump, who is a builder," he said. Trump was promoting the White House Hispanic Prosperity Initiative, which is designed to expand educational and economic opportunities for Hispanic-Americans.

While criticizing the boycott, "The View" co-host Meghan McCain warned that it might result in job loss during the difficult economic problems begot by the coronavirus pandemic.

Meghan McCain
@MeghanMcCain
It seems weird & callous to boycott a company who supplies food to the masses and employs 4,000 people during a pandemic. No matter what your politics, who wants more people out of work? Almost every CEO, boss, & person I interact with and consume products from disagrees with me.
8:35 AM · Jul 10, 2020

It seems weird & callous to boycott a company who supplies food to the masses and employs 4,000 people during a pandemic," she said in a post retweeted by conservative author Ben Shapiro. "No matter what your politics, who wants more people out of work? Almost every CEO, boss, & person I interact with and consume products from disagrees with me."

Conservative commentator Charlie Kirk also ripped the boycott, suggesting it would harm minorities.

"Imagine boycotting one of America’s largest minority-owned businesses and thinking that you’re doing something to end racism," he tweeted on Friday. "That’s the current mindset of the leaders of the Democrat party."

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
Goya is donating over one MILLION pounds of food to America’s food banks, serving mostly minority communities, and Democrats are calling for a boycott of them why?

Because the CEO called Donald Trump a “leader”

You can’t make this up.
10:51 AM · Jul 10, 2020

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
Imagine boycotting one of America’s largest minority-owned businesses and thinking that you’re doing something to end racism.

That’s the current mindset of the leaders of the Democrat party.
1:40 PM · Jul 10, 2020

Meanwhile, the boycott has received support from figures like Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y. "Oh look, it’s the sound of me Googling 'how to make your own Adobo,'" she tweeted alongside a call for the boycott.

Teigen pushed back on the idea that she was hurting Goya's workers, and vowed to financially help the farms affected. "The next step republicans [sic] will do (mark my words, they did this with my equinox tweets as well) is say you aren’t supporting the workers if you boycott," Teigen tweeted.

"You ARE. They should never feel they have to work for someone who agrees Mexicans are 'vile' 'rapists,'" she wrote, a reference to remarks by Trump at the very start of his presidential campaign in 2015.

Unanue has refused to back down and called the pushback against him visiting the White House “suppression of speech.”

On Friday, he told "Fox & Friends" that he was previously invited to the White House for an event hosted by the Obama administration for Hispanic Heritage Month. “So, you’re allowed to talk good or to praise one president, but you’re not allowed to aid in economic and educational prosperity? And you make a positive comment and all of a sudden, it is not acceptable,” Unanue said.

Fox News' Joshua Nelson contributed to this report.

Sam Dorman is a reporter with Fox News. You can follow him on Facebook here.

Attachments

• 47D1B1EF-34AC-4F59-91CC-2526CED4CA1B.png
    47D1B1EF-34AC-4F59-91CC-2526CED4CA1B.png
    1 MB · Views: 39

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
:hammer: :hammer:

Don’t know you but next trip to the store I’m shopping Goya as much as I can!

I may just buy some Goya products to donate to the food bank in town too!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I always buy Goya products for making chili.
I'll be sure to make them top of my list now, for sure.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Goya 'buy-cott' begins as customers load up on product after Trump backlash
The CEO of Goya Foods sparked backlash when he praised President Trump
By Evie FordhamFOXBusiness

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/goya-food-sales-trump-controversy

Many took to social media to express their displeasure with Goya Foods CEO Robert Unanue after he praised President Trump at a White House event on Thursday, but others are flipping the narrative and calling for a Goya Foods "buy-cott."

GOYA FOODS SLAMMED BY AOC, CELEBRITIES AFTER CEO PRAISES TRUMP

"My brother came up with a terrific idea and I am encouraging all to join me in purchasing $10 worth of Goya Foods products and donating them to your local food bank," self-described "conservatarian" radio host Mike Opelka wrote on Twitter. "Let's push a BUY-cott, not a boycott. Let's show the #Goyaway people what compassion can do.

Opelka's post received 27,000 likes.

"Go out today and buy your Goya foods," Fox News host Mark Levin wrote on Twitter.

Most of these people fronting about a #GOYABOYCOTT either don't use Goya Foods anyways [a]nd most of the ones who do will cave by #NocheBuena," Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., wrote on Twitter along with an "I Love Goya" graphic.

The controversy has inspired some Goya Foods fans to give back. Virginia resident Casey Harper started a GoFundMe on Saturday to buy Goya products to donate food pantries. The page is already more than halfway to its $10,000 goal.

"I'm not surprised we have raised so much because people are tired of having to walk on eggshells in political discourse," Harper told FOX Business. "Also, Americans are fundamentally generous people so a chance to feed the hungry and stand up to cancel culture was an easy win."

Goya Foods touted its charitable giving on Friday after calls for a boycott, including from progressive Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Goya Foods said it has given "two million pounds of food to food banks across the nation who are in desperate need of food for families impacted by COVID19."

Robert Unanue, head of the New Jersey-based company, said Friday the boycott is "a reflection of a division that exists today in our country" that is "killing our nation."

We're with the president. We're with this country ⁠— right, left, center, up and down," Unanue told "Varney & Co."

Goya Foods claims to be the largest Hispanic-owned food label in the country.

GOYA FOODS CEO ROBERT UNANUE NOT APOLOGIZING FOR TRUMP SUPPORT AMID BOYCOTT

Unanue said Americans were "truly blessed" to have Trump as a leader while speaking at a Hispanic Prosperity Initiative at the White House on Thursday.

FOX Business' inquiry to Goya Foods was not returned at the time of publication.

Attachments

• C4E8092C-F03F-47A3-86E7-854E492CF710.jpg
    C4E8092C-F03F-47A3-86E7-854E492CF710.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 16
  • E13236C1-BC8E-47B9-895F-186C8DED7C7E.jpg
    E13236C1-BC8E-47B9-895F-186C8DED7C7E.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 16