• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

J5/SW-XX Suspension

benz9

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, been a little busy working on what I thought was a little problem that turned into a 3 day problem... First of all, thanks to all who replied to the oil dipstick/filter questions...When the answers came in, I was already elbow deep in grease... Read on.

Started with this crooked track that kept bugging the hell out of me, was it because the sprocket was too small or what??? Opened up the book and found that there was a can / connecting chunks of metal / bolts that made up the front wheel suspension. Checked back on Pixie's J5 rebuild to see how that was supposed to look and found lot's of loose in there (2nd picture)...:unsure:
To be continued.

Attachments

• DSCF2794.jpg
    DSCF2794.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 405
  • DSCF2814.jpg
    DSCF2814.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 398

benz9

So, I'm thinking this rusted link between the pipe and the rear wheel tandem is toast and need to be replaced...pretty easy when you have a good shop at home, figured it would tighten up (push:hammer:) if I made it longer(1st pic). Remember that hook welded on the top of that rusted bar... Reinstall the whole kit and hope for the best...See results in pics 2 and 3. I'm not a happy camper. The track is rubbing on the top of the fender on top of all this and if I don't do something, it will eat right thru! More to come.

Attachments

• DSCF2818.jpg
    DSCF2818.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 409
  • DSCF2826.jpg
    DSCF2826.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 411
  • DSCF2830.jpg
    DSCF2830.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 399

benz9

Day 2 - Take apart all that was rebuilt the previous day and try to find out what the frak is going on. (Pic 1). That's when I figured out it was a "pull" kinda suspension. So, what is in that can??? See for yourselves, 2 Springs (found 3, but that's the big one broken), 1 plate between springs and one push/pull rod. (pics 2 and 3). Had to cut the tube to find all this but it had been done before, I noticed the weld. I don't know what the brown muck was, but there was sand, ice, oil, and grease...yuck. Cleaned it all out (pic 3) and tried to weld the spring (attempt #1). Looked great till I tried to compress it back into the tube. It broke right away (pic 4). Sometimes I get so caught up in the repair I forget to take pics...ended up welding the spring like two fingers one on top of each other (after searching for replacements, found springs at 275$ a pair, out of stock at Plannord). Worked fine this way.
More to come...

Attachments

• DSCF2833.jpg
    DSCF2833.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 412
  • DSCF2835.jpg
    DSCF2835.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 402
  • DSCF2838.jpg
    DSCF2838.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 386
  • DSCF2840.jpg
    DSCF2840.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 387

benz9

End of Day 2 - Now I have to figure out how to put that spring back in the tube and weld it shut. Into the shop press it went but I had to make a bunch of tools and guides to get it right (and then be able to release the tension without killing myself). Job's finished!:clap:(sleep)
Day 3 - Reinstall the whole kit...(pic 3,4). Now the track seems right and the ride is a lot more quiet. Remember that hook from the first post, well I'm pretty sure that was for pulling the spring so it would fit with the tandem bar. I used a come-along tied to my van and cranked it 'till it was just right:brows:.

Attachments

• DSCF2841.jpg
    DSCF2841.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 393
  • DSCF2843.jpg
    DSCF2843.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 379
  • DSCF2844.jpg
    DSCF2844.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 386
  • DSCF2847.jpg
    DSCF2847.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 390
  • DSCF2850.jpg
    DSCF2850.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 394

benz9

In the month and a half that I've stopped smoking and bought a "snow cat", these are all the mods that have been made so far. Can't wait till it snows!

Attachments

• collage.jpg
    collage.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 389

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Great job ! I didn't have the nuts to cut the cans open :smile:

That connecting bar is about 5/8" thick on mine and had bushings that needed to be replaced. I'm still working on those things for the second J5..... i have some new springs-in-a-can that someone made but they are an inch too long so i need to make those bars an inch shorter .....

When I took mine apart, I stretched the shaft out of the can a bit and used a C clamp and some wooden blocks to keep it out while reinstalling.

I hope this is a lasting repair for you; sometimes welding spring steel makes it brittle.....

Some machines with this type suspension just have a chain instead of the can !!!!

Congratulations on the no smoking :thumb:

benz9

Pixie,
I found a garage in Gatineau QC that will make the exact spring in the can for 275$ a pair. I was thinking of rebuilding them with sprinkler pipe 4.5" and using a threaded cap (interior thread) for the non-shaft end of the can so it can be replaced if needed. This is more a summer project because my lathe just doesn't turn in the cold garage. I used a square tube with holes in it to tighten the spring on the hydraulic press but also made a hole in the other end of the can to decompress the spring once welded. I know the welded spring probably won't last forever (just has to make it till the snow is gone). I would like to go to the bone yard you mentionned in one of your post in this wonderful province of mine. Could you PM me the coordinates and I will make it a mission to come back with a parts machine. I checked and driving to boggies place from mine is 23h all three ways. And I'm not sure if the customs agent will know what cans are worth. They are way too big to hide anywhere...wink wink. I have two problems left to solve before the winter is over. (1) find the darn oil filter and if it really isn't there, put one in. Saw a good setup on one of Old Truckers post. (2) fix leaky hydraulic fitting on blade angler piston. But she's so nice and plows just great! My kids want me to put it back to original color but I kinda like the olive green... Just have to get rid of the TCs painted everywhere (TC was the initials of the former owner).

the old trucker

Marcelle Houle, I think his name is. He is at exit 185 ( St. Cyrille ) off Highway 20. Heading east, take the off ramp, go to the stop sign & he is directly in front of you. If you turn left at the stop, go under the 20 & there is a another place directly on the left. I hope this helps you out. I don't know his PHONE ## Maybe someone here does.

For those interested in this setup here are a few pictures of the oil filter port.

Bombardier1952002.jpg

Bombardier1952003.jpg

Bombardier1952007.jpg

enginecompartment007.jpg