• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Slower Traffic Keep Right

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Okay, here's one; last night I was coming down the highway and there's this moron just driving along in the left lane, nobody else on the highway. Here is my question, do I pass him on in the right lane where I am driving? Before you answer, 'yes stupid', remember, it's illegal to pass on the right.

In case you were wondering what I did, I kept my cruise control on at 62 mph (in the 55 zone - remember, I do speed but apparently not by much) and passed him on the right. Wouldn't it be a real bugger if I got a ticket for doing so? I constantly see that - some jerk just tooling along in the left lane because he simply prefers that particular lane.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Okay, here's one; last night I was coming down the highway and there's this moron just driving along in the left lane, nobody else on the highway. Here is my question, do I pass him on in the right lane where I am driving? Before you answer, 'yes stupid', remember, it's illegal to pass on the right.

In case you were wondering what I did, I kept my cruise control on at 62 mph (in the 55 zone - remember, I do speed but apparently not by much) and passed him on the right. Wouldn't it be a real bugger if I got a ticket for doing so? I constantly see that - some jerk just tooling along in the left lane because he simply prefers that particular lane.
Brent, I'd most likely do the same, but I would likely not be over the limit. Interesting scenario, I wonder what a trooper would say? Wanna bet he'd ignore the whole thing?:tiphat::beer:

Gatorboy

ddrane2115 said:
The whole jist of this thread has been get the f**k out of my way............

Actually it isn't. I was just curious if some people actually didn't KNOW about the rule.

I drive into work at 5:20a and I-95 has 4 lanes in both directions and I find is surprising to see at times when the highway is virtually empty a lone car with no one around travelling in the far left lane. Perhaps they don't teach "Keep Right" anymore in Driver's Ed, I don't know ... I just find it disturbing that so many do not move over when others come upon them. I am not talking extreme speeders either, just in general.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
On a multilane highway, if you are in the middle lane and he is driving in the left lane at a speed under yours, you can legally pass him. If you are speeding, then you could be ticketed for speeding, but the passing that car wouldn't be a violation. If, however, you were weaving in and out of traffic to jockey for position, and pass a car on the right, in that case you could and would be ticketed for passing on the right. Junk....

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Junkman said:
On a multilane highway, if you are in the middle lane and he is driving in the left lane at a speed under yours, you can legally pass him. If you are speeding, then you could be ticketed for speeding, but the passing that car wouldn't be a violation. If, however, you were weaving in and out of traffic to jockey for position, and pass a car on the right, in that case you could and would be ticketed for passing on the right. Junk....
Junk, as it should be.:thumb::tiphat::beer:

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
sorry Bob, not wrong, just safe.

There is no law against driving in any lane, if that were so, we would never be able to get off the highway. Now that being said, I would move over for a driver like yourself, since you state you are not a buthead about it. Sure does not sound like it though. And I would move over ONLY if it were safe.

As for the GPS, never heard of getting a ticket with one of those, since ONLY my company can see the results..........again, not in the least bit worried, but I do know I am safe!

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Now get out of my way, pay attention to the road, and don't even think about lumping me into the aggressive driver category.

Why am I in your way? The roads were not made just for you. Sorry but if I am doing over the speed limit, then I will be in the lane that best supports that, and if that is the "fast" lane then so be it.

working woman

Site Supporter
:17875:

Attachments

• picture 4.jpg
    picture 4.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 118
  • picture 6.jpg
    picture 6.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 115

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Junkman said:

I see so many idiots in and out of traffic, causing someone to brake when there is NO FREAKIN need to, just to get ahead. It is times like this I would love to be a cop, and a few lessons on the side road about safety and leaving early enough to get where you are going would be great........at least the idiot would be late for whatever! If he decided that he was not going to learn, then maybe a judge in the morning might get his attention better. SEE folks a ticket is in lieu of phyisical arrest..........hey the back seat of a cruiser with your pile of junk on a tow truck might get your attention.

Oh and IF someone in my family were hurt by a jerk speeding, well his life is about to change drastically. If the traffic court did not hurt him enough, my civil suits would make him very poor and very sorry he ever made the silly ass mistake of driving like an idiot.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
WW. love the speed sign. That is someone that needs to be reduced to a bike, pedal kind for LIFE.

I use my cell while driving, and the one I get next month will have hands free feature

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ddrane2115 said:
There is no law against driving in any lane
Here's a site that lists the laws about left lane usage by state. It also states many of the other road laws.

An interesting point that's mentioned (but I didn't check the wording for each state) is that the laws refer to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
humor_me said:
No one should have to slow down or steer around you as you come up to speed.
We were taught you need to get up to traffic speed before even getting close to the end of the ramp.

DAP

Gatorboy said:
So, what you are saying is you like to be a rude ass on the highway when someone else expects you to follow the rules of the road and common courtesy.

How exactly did you come to the conclusion that I'm vehement about this? I am just trying to determine how so many people can't comprehend the simple concept of "Slower Traffic Keep Right".

I also wonder why so many people can't figure out how to work their turn signals. I guess they assume everyone can "read their minds".

:yum::yum::yum::yum:

No, what I'm sayin is that its much more fun stirrin the pot than comparin notes about what assholes are out there on the roads.
:applause:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
JimR said:
I also see many older people riding in the left lane doing the speed limit. I think they do this for fear of getting hit by incoming traffic on the on ramps.
My FIL (whom I'm really scared to ride with) does that.
His reasoning is that it's easier (especially at night) to maintain the lane as he watches the yellow line.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ddrane2115 said:

There is no law against driving in any lane, if that were so, we would never be able to get off the highway. Now that being said, I would move over for a driver like yourself, since you state you are not a buthead about it. Sure does not sound like it though. And I would move over ONLY if it were safe.

As for the GPS, never heard of getting a ticket with one of those, since ONLY my company can see the results..........again, not in the least bit worried, but I do know I am safe!
Danny,

Regarding you GPS, you said you'd fight in court not me. If you take in proof that you were speeding then you'll get a speeding ticket. That falls on your shoulders as you brought it up.

Here is the Indiana law telling you that you are wrong regarding your driving habits. I never suggested you had to take my word as gospel, but the Indiana statute below is what the court will rule by.
IC 9-21-8-2
Roadways; use of right half; exceptions; traveling at reduced speeds
Sec. 2. (a) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway except as follows:
(1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing overtaking and passing.
(2) When the right half of a roadway is closed to traffic under construction or repair.
(3) Upon a roadway divided into three (3) marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable to a roadway divided into three (3) marked lanes.
(4) Upon a roadway designated and signposted for one-way traffic.
(b) Upon all roadways, a vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place under the conditions then existing shall be driven:
(1) in the right-hand lane then available for traffic; or
(2) as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway;
except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Danny,

Regarding you GPS, you said you'd fight in court not me. If you take in proof that you were speeding then you'll get a speeding ticket. That falls on your shoulders as you brought it up.

Here is the Indiana law telling you that you are wrong regarding your driving habits. I never suggested you had to take my word as gospel, but the Indiana statute below is what the court will rule by.
IC 9-21-8-2
Roadways; use of right half; exceptions; traveling at reduced speeds
Sec. 2. (a) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway except as follows:
(1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing overtaking and passing.
(2) When the right half of a roadway is closed to traffic under construction or repair.
(3) Upon a roadway divided into three (3) marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable to a roadway divided into three (3) marked lanes.
(4) Upon a roadway designated and signposted for one-way traffic.
(b) Upon all roadways, a vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place under the conditions then existing shall be driven:
(1) in the right-hand lane then available for traffic; or
(2) as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway;
except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.
So you that constantly speed want to stay in the right hand lane till you get in front of ALL the other cars on the road. Cool, then you will get a ticket for driving in the right hand lane, and I get to move into the right hand lane when the cop has YOU pulled over for it.

As for the ticket due to my GPS, my guess is that would pale to the faster speed you or your truck was traveling.

NO one is going to convince me that 20 or more miles per hour over is a reason to have your own lane........it just is not going to happen.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ddrane2115 said:
So you that constantly speed want to stay in the right hand lane till you get in front of ALL the other cars on the road. Cool, then you will get a ticket for driving in the right hand lane, and I get to move into the right hand lane when the cop has YOU pulled over for it.
Danny,

Can you re-word or something? I'm not understanding what you said.

Is it possible to get in front of ALL the other cars on the road (unless the road is ending)?

Oh, while Bob's getting a ticket, you better move to the left lane when passing the cop/Bob.;)

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
ddrane2115 said:

Danny....... There are laws concerning which lane you drive in. If you are driving a multilane highway, you must stay out of the left lane, unless you are passing. The left lane is for passing primarily. Having said that, there is one exception to the rule. If the highway if full of cars and traffic is so heavy that both right lanes (so as not to confuse you, that means the extreme right lane and the next lane to it on the left, if it is a 3 lane highway. If it is a 4 lane highway, then it is the extreme right lane and the next two lanes that are directly to the left of the first right hand one. The lane that is next to the grass that has a solid while line to the left of it is called the shoulder or break down lane.) traffic is allowed to use the left lane for a steady line of traffic. You only find this usually on holiday weekends or on very busy highways. It is the exception, not the rule. Just because your traffic manager agrees with you, doesn't make either him or you right. I like you and believe that you are a good person. Having said that, I would also like to let you know that you are stubborn and pig headed when it comes to the rules of the road. In all probability, you are going to get involved in an accident at some point for not yielding the right of way, and people are going to get hurt. This is also a very important subject to me, because I used to drive emergency vehicles on life saving missions, and I have run into people with the same thinking as you. I can tell you that speeding by a experienced driver is a lot less dangerous than a person that fails to yield the right of way. Most officers will ticket a driver for failing to yield even if that driver is driving the speed limit. Many times, they will tolerate the driver that is speeding 10 or 20 MPH over the speed limit if he is not impeding the safety of others by weaving or doing something else that is considered dangerous. Look at the responses you are getting about your position on this subject and decide if the rest of us are wrong and you are the only person that has the correct view of the subject. Don't become a statistic because of your stubborness..... Junk...

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Here's a site that lists the laws about left lane usage by state. It also states many of the other road laws.
Oh wonderful, all it says for Michigan is "wierd". Did they really have to advertise that? I couldn't pull up the link for Michigan on that website.:yum::eek:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well John, we all know it's true.

Here's a copy of the Michigan law. It too says to stay right...

257.634 Driving on right half of roadway; exceptions; driving on roadway having 2 or more lanes for travel in 1 direction; traveling on freeway having 3 or more lanes for travel in same direction; ordinance regulating same subject matter prohibited; violation as civil infraction.

Sec. 634.

(1) Upon each roadway of sufficient width, the driver of a vehicle shall drive the vehicle upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing that movement.

(b) When the right half of a roadway is closed to traffic while under construction or repair or when an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway. A driver who is driving on the left half of a roadway under this subdivision shall yield the right-of-way to an oncoming vehicle traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the roadway.

(c) When a vehicle operated by a state agency or a local authority or an agent of a state agency or local authority is engaged in work on the roadway.

(d) Upon a roadway divided into 3 marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable on the roadway.

(2) Upon a roadway having 2 or more lanes for travel in 1 direction, the driver of a vehicle shall drive the vehicle in the extreme right-hand lane available for travel except as otherwise provided in this section. However, the driver of a vehicle may drive the vehicle in any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the same direction of travel when the lanes are occupied by vehicles moving in substantially continuous lanes of traffic and in any left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the same direction of travel for a reasonable distance before making a left turn.

(3) This section shall not be construed to prohibit a vehicle traveling in the appropriate direction from traveling in any lane of a freeway having 3 or more lanes for travel in the same direction. However, a city, village, township, or county may not enact an ordinance which regulates the same subject matter as any provision of this subsection. The driver of a truck with a gross weight of more than 10,000 pounds, a truck tractor, or a combination of a vehicle and trailer or semitrailer shall drive the vehicle or combination of vehicles only in either of the 2 lanes farthest to the right, except for a reasonable distance when making a left turn or where a special hazard exists that requires the use of an alternative lane for safety reasons.

(4) A person who violates this section is responsible for a civil infraction.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Danny,

Can you re-word or something? I'm not understanding what you said.

Is it possible to get in front of ALL the other cars on the road (unless the road is ending)?

Oh, while Bob's getting a ticket, you better move to the left lane when passing the cop/Bob.;)

That is my point, is he going to be first as in front of every car on the road?

actually in IN you can get a ticket IF you see an officer or emergency vehicle stopped and you dont pull over to the clear lane to give them room..........so I would again be in the LEFT lane, and I have to slow down also.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ddrane2115 said:
That is my point, is he going to be first as in front of every car on the road?
I doubt it as he probably can't keep up with me :yum: :yum: :yum:

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
ok, lets just say for the argument that I have to drive 65 in the right lane cause someone wants to drive 70 in the left lane............what about MY rights? Why do I do if I constantly have to move over to pass, then get back over cause I am not traveling at 70?

Best rule of the road, speed LIMIT, there are 2 words on that sign, and 2 numbers.

Junk, I have never been involved in a serious accident, and doubt that I will be due to my driving habits. I pity the person that hits me going way OVER the limit though.

Gatorboy

ddrane2115 said:
ok, lets just say for the argument that I have to drive 65 in the right lane cause someone wants to drive 70 in the left lane............what about MY rights? Why do I do if I constantly have to move over to pass, then get back over cause I am not traveling at 70?

Either keep up with traffic (going 70 mph) or drive at a slower speed in the right lane if changing lanes is too challenging for you.

Your Rights? Driving is a privilege.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ddrane2115 said:
We all have the right to use the roads. The law that the subject of this thread relates to says that yes, you do need to move left to pass then move back to the right when safe. The gripe is when people don't move back to the right.

ddrane2115 said:
Best rule of the road, speed LIMIT, there are 2 words on that sign, and 2 numbers.
We have 2 digit numbers up here as well, but ours provide an "I" prefix for "informational sign". They're I-76, I-79, I-80 and I-90. We comply as best we can. :thumb:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Holy crap man! I've been out for a few hours and you guys have an epic novel here!! :eek:

I'm assuming that Danny wouldn't take kindly to me bump drafting? :whistle:

Ok, ok, I'll stay out of it. With the speeds I drive I generally get passed much more than I pass. And, I'm firmly planted in the right lane. The only time I get pissed with someone behind me when I'm in the left lane is if I'm passing a convoy of semis, there is no place to get over, and someone roars up behind me and rides my bumper. I'm still passing the convoy of semis, but I'm not going to try to run one of them off the road to get over. That is about the only time the guy behind me gets a little "tough luck" from me in that I simply continue with my cruise control on until I can safely move to the right lane.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
We have 2 digit numbers up here as well, but ours provide an "I" prefix for "informational sign". They're I-76, I-79, I-80 and I-90. We comply as best we can. :thumb:

there is a joke about that, but not here and now.

Good one though

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can't for the life of me understand how someone can drive in the left lane with no traffic on their right. Even if I have a left turn a mile up the road I don't get over early, it just feels wrong to drive there.
I agree with others who have said if all drivers would follow the rule of the road inparticular (stay right unless passing) it would save alot of aggravation for all. Maybe you left lane riders won't be the one in the accident, but the aggravation you cause might play a part the cause of an accident further up the road. Would you care? Or would you drive by all high and mighty thinking you tried to teach em a lesson without a clue in the world that you are the unconsiderate a**hole that caused the problem.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Gatorboy said:
Either keep up with traffic (going 70 mph) or drive at a slower speed in the right lane if changing lanes is too challenging for you.

Your Rights? Driving is a privilege.

Driving is a priviledge, the laws governing it provide me my rights during the act of driving/

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ddrane2115 said:
the laws governing it provide me my rights during the act of driving
Which are.... drum roll please....

Keep right unless passing :whistle: :thumb:
(see IC 9-21-8-2 that Bob posted earlier).